Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It's only really a local reference in the Tri-State Area for Manhattan as well.

Aside from that, it would appear to be a popular way to refer to NYC in the Southeast( except South Florida) as well, which probably goes back to pre civil war days.

Prevalence of the term"The City"

Furthermore, while it's true that there it might be used in other cities, SF is called 'The City' with much greater frequency over a much larger area and by more people than any US place except NYC. Chicago appears to be a distant third barely even reaching the IL/ WI state line and usage in places like DC, Boston and Philly appear to not even extend to their entire metro areas, meanwhile SF has this distinction hundreds of miles away from it's urban core, deep into the interior of California and Nevada.
Not sure what your point is here. kidphilly is stating that it's NYC (specifically Manhattan) to him, and to a lot of other folks; San Francisco is clearly second, and your own map corroborates this. 'The City' term for NYC clearly extends outside of the Tri-State Area all the way to the Canadian border, and even down here into Delaware. SF may have the "distinction" of being "The City" for hundreds of miles, but so does NYC, and NYC does so in a far more populated area. If you're going to argue Chicago as distant third (which, unless I'm reading the 'Other' map wrong, appears to show Chicago much bluer than Seattle or even Minneapolis in terms of locals referencing it the city), I'll go ahead and point out that SF is a distant second in its usage. As cool as those jerseys are, SF is clearly surpassed by NYC as being labeled 'The City' (and London, if we're thinking globally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Not sure what your point is here. kidphilly is stating that it's NYC (specifically Manhattan) to him, and to a lot of other folks; San Francisco is clearly second, and your own map corroborates this. 'The City' term for NYC clearly extends outside of the Tri-State Area all the way to the Canadian border, and even down here into Delaware. SF may have the "distinction" of being "The City" for hundreds of miles, but so does NYC, and NYC does so in a far more populated area. If you're going to argue Chicago as distant third (which, unless I'm reading the 'Other' map wrong, appears to show Chicago much bluer than Seattle or even Minneapolis in terms of locals referencing it the city), I'll go ahead and point out that SF is a distant second in its usage. As cool as those jerseys are, SF is clearly surpassed by NYC as being labeled 'The City' (and London, if we're thinking globally).
London, New York and San Francisco.

But of course. Where else is there?

Old 11-19-2015, 01:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
London, New York and San Francisco.

But of course. Where else is there?

somehting like that so NYC was 43% prevelence and the other was 44% of which SF is a small proportion

sadly you may not want to hear this but NYC is all by its onwn on this and SF like many metrics is far closer to cities like a Philly or Chicago

calling out SF similar to NYC on this metric is taking liberties to say the least

so 43% of US associated "the city" with NYC on this is I eyeball this correclty lets say 50-60% of the generous 10 million people in the range

so that would losely translate to

43% NYC
1.5-2% SF

yep very close for the US prevelence

if I eyeball Philly at say 50-60% of 7 million

I get between 1.2-1.5%

hmm which is the better comparator

double the number or even triple the number for SF and sady you are still WAY closer to Philly which to me i only a local refeence as NYC is the "The City" not Philly nd SF in any non regional context, but yes SF i the city in the bay I will give you that as neither Oakland or San Jose would be

Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
somehting like that so NYC was 43% prevelence and the other was 44% of which SF is a small proportion

sadly you may not want to hear this but NYC is all by its onwn on this and SF like many metrics is far closer to cities like a Philly or Chicago

calling out SF similar to NYC on this metric is taking liberties to say the least

so 43% of US associated "the city" with NYC on this is I eyball thi correclty lets say 50-60% of the generous 10 million people in the range

so that would losely translate to

43% NYC
1.5-2% SF

yep very close for the US prevelence

if I eyeball Philly at say 50-60% of 7 million

I get between 1.2-1.5%

hmm which is the better comparator
Haha I realize this is a topic that is very near and dear to your heart given what you put as your location, but in reality, the land mass that clearly refers to SF as 'The City' overwhwlmingly and unequivically more than any other city is over 100,000 sq miles and is home to 16 Million people.

And I never said that SF is even close to NYC in this regard, but SF is clearly 2nd, by far, its unmistakable based on that map, and its not close.

You people have been educated on this over and over and ovet again and nothing has changed since this most recently came up again last week. LOL.

For the millionth time, it wasnt some recent pr ploy by the SF CVB devised to p*ss off Philadelphia people( rolls eyes), no, sadly thats not how this happened.

San Francisco has been called 'The City' since the gold rush-no other city, NYC or otherwise, is called 'The City' in Northern CA except SF, and this endures today.

And really, this shouldnt come as a surprise then. Many cities might have a few people who might casually refer to their downtown as 'The City', but it matches London, NYC and SF like hand and glove.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM

so at 16 million and 50% you are barely over 2%

and yes I get your point on how many areas call their DT the city, again this is where the NYC comparison falls to pieces

SF like many others has a regional association not a national or international one

so again 43% and nothional resonance or 2% and local, hmmm yep I get it one is the hand of a member of local band and the other is the hand of a Beatle both hands though right

Old 11-19-2015, 02:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
For all the innovation and creativity to come out of the Bay, though, the nicknames for San Francisco are largely unwieldy, antiquated, generic (The City) or outright shunned. Frisco, which is the most badass of all and should be embraced (like 'Philly', go figure) is a dirty word in the Bay. The fact that you're boosting of 'The City', which is super generic, is actually quite sad.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:49 PM

744 posts, read 775,226 times
Thanks to another thread on the first page of this board I had never heard of "silicon alley."

Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
so at 16 million and 50% you are barely over 2%

and yes I get your point on how many areas call their DT the city, again this is where the NYC comparison falls to pieces

SF like many others has a regional association not a national or international one

so again 43% and nothional resonance or 2% and local, hmmm yep I get it one is the hand of a member of local band and the other is the hand of a Beatle both hands though right
Hahahaha Im not sure exactly what point your trying to make? If you are saying that SF isnt called 'The City' in Appalachia therefore Im wrong-well NO, your still wrong, because all along, Ive only contended that SF is called 'The City' over a much larger area and by more people than anywhere in the US not called New York, and that's true, I knew that even before that map came along by the way.

Chicago appears to be a solid third, and then everyone else is more obscure.

San Francisco and Chicago make sense because they developed premier urban areas outside of the shadow of New York and were therefore allowed to develop their own regional cache and reputation for being 'The City'.

Whereas older cities like Boston and Philly never really stood a chance as far as being 'the City' outside of their immediate metro borders, which is based on the fact that they are just too darn close to New York, which OWNS that term on the East Coast. Clearly. And there's nothing wrong with that, it just is.

Likewise, Clearly, New York does NOT conjour up the same imagery the farther west one travels. Sure everyone knows it's the largest, most urban, etc, but people dont feel as connected with it intimately as to call it 'The City'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder
For all the innovation and creativity to come out of the Bay, though, the nicknames for San Francisco are largely unwieldy, antiquated, generic (The City) or outright shunned. Frisco, which is the most badass of all and should be embraced (like 'Philly', go figure) is a dirty word in the Bay. The fact that you're boosting of 'The City', which is super generic, is actually quite sad.
LOL Like I said in my last post, this isnt even a matter of boosting, it's a matter of word association, and in fact, San Francisco has been known as 'The City' since the mid 1800s and that has continued throughout history and endures today.

I dont even know what point your trying to make?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha Im not sure exactly what point your trying to make? If you are saying that SF isnt called 'The City' in Appalachia therefore Im wrong-well NO, your still wrong, because all along, Ive only contended that SF is called 'The City' over a much larger area and by more people than anywhere in the US not called New York, and that's true, I knew that even before that map came along by the way.

Chicago appears to be a solid third, and then everyone else is more obscure.

San Francisco and Chicago make sense because they developed premier urban areas outside of the shadow of New York and were therefore allowed to develop their own regional cache and reputation for being 'The City'.

Whereas older cities like Boston and Philly never really stood a chance as far as being 'the City' outside of their immediate metro borders, which is based on the fact that they are just too darn close to New York, which OWNS that term on the East Coast. Clearly. And there's nothing wrong with that, it just is.

Likewise, Clearly, New York does NOT conjour up the same imagery the farther west one travels. Sure everyone knows it's the largest, most urban, etc, but people dont feel as connected with it intimately as to call it 'The City'.

LOL Like I said in my last post, this isnt even a matter of boosting, it's a matter of word association, and in fact, San Francisco has been known as 'The City' since the mid 1800s and that has continued throughout history and endures today.

I dont even know what point your trying to make?

soley that suggesting the usage and association is remotely close to NYC in the national perspective and any non local is insane even if it extends 100 miles that is all

so to me any association of SF to NYC in this regard is well taking extreme liberties

most of the rest you posted seems mostly to make sense its the other premis that doesnt

I also agree am confused by q's point I think the generic association of a words like the city is sort of the flattery in a sense non descript and descript all at once

in the end its mostly nonesense but do find comparing 2% of the US and 43% very dissimilar whereas 2% and 1.5% are not so fail to your association in the firt place if you want to say regionally SF may cover a larger small footprint have at it. In the national context, just no

this topic is derailed and actually has some interesting aspects so am stopping on this

Old 11-19-2015, 03:00 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Dfw (it's supposed to be DFW, but it's not letting me make it into all uppercase letters.)
I used to have a friend from Fort Worth who referred to it as the Dalworth metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City