Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,038 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of people actually say “global city” “world class city” or “alpha city” before City Data

Never heard of Bos-Wash before City Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

You've never heard of Puget Sound? It's only the most prominent body of water in the state
I’v never heard of the Puget Sound before Cita Data and i live on the West Coast. I don’t think you should expect many people out of state or have never visited to know of it.

For example Inland Empire is somethint every Southern Californian knows about but out of state/non locals won’t be familiar with the term.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brimstone View Post
I’v never heard of the Puget Sound before Cita Data and i live on the West Coast. I don’t think you should expect many people out of state or have never visited to know of it.

For example Inland Empire is somethint every Southern Californian knows about but out of state/non locals won’t be familiar with the term.
To speak more to your point on the bolded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'd never heard of:

"Hampton Roads" I was aware of Virginia beach though.

"The Research Triangle"

Greater DC being referred to as "DMV"
In reality, Hampton Roads and Research Triangle are more often academic, professional terms than commonplace speech. Locally, I believe the label "Hampton Roads" has caught on more in the last dozen years or so than the time prior, but you hear it referred to as "Tidewater" more often, and you hear "Seven Cities" maybe as much as you hear Hampton Roads. Outside of Virginia, you mostly just hear people call it the "Norfolk area" or "Virginia Beach area"...

"Research Triangle" is purely academic. It is widely recognized as "The Triangle" in common speech. Outside of North Carolina, you hear "Raleigh-Durham" much, much more often than any other term...

Old 01-07-2018, 12:44 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
for me its:
people post these terms as if they are common knowledge and surprisingly from the responses, they are.

any others... ?
Just to respond to this post for now--I knew Hampton Roads and NoVa pre-CD, and I still don't know The Loop post-CD, heh. I now see what The Loop refers to in the first couple responses...went to Chicago once around age 16, but was apparently oblivious

Old 01-07-2018, 01:59 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
Flyover Country
Rustbelt
Sunbelt

Old 01-07-2018, 03:08 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
I spent enough time with urban planning books, picture books, atlases, and almanacs to have heard of most of these places before the internets came around, and before I traveled much.

What doesn't appear very high on a list of metros or highrises, or have big fonts on a map? And what's also not in movies? NoVa and the Hampton Roads area are among them. Germany's Ruhr Valley cities. Columbus, Sacramento, Ottawa.

Most places that locals think are "world famous" are unknown to most people.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,449 times
I’m surprised at all the people saying they never heard of DMV or NoVa. I’m not even from the DMV area, but I’ve definitely heard these terms many times before. “DelMarVa peninsula” is not one that I’ve ever heard before, but it’s self explanatory.

I’ve never heard of “Golden Horseshoe” before CD, which is what the Toronto region calls itself.
“Beantown” which is a nickname for Boston apparently
And Corpus Christi, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brimstone View Post
I have never heard of people actually say “global city” “world class city” or “alpha city” before City Data
Me neither, and guess what... “world class city” means absolutely nothing. There is no set definition and to my knowledge it is not a term used much if at all IRL. It’s such a powerful term on here though and people get into these arguments about it, but it’s really all about semantics and what they interpret the term to mean to them because, you know, it doesn’t actually mean anything.

Also “coastal elite” is another term that I want to throw in there.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 PM

Why would anyone outside the mid-Atlantic area know about the "DMV"? It looks pretty close to NYC so it's not surprising that you'd know it. But I bet most in the US don't know the details of state lines in that area (I certainly needed a refresher) and there aren't many cues in the US media...sports teams, movies, etc. It's not a nationally-known tourist area.

As for "world class," totally agree. It's not the sort of thing that even can be defined.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:05 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Why would anyone outside the mid-Atlantic area know about the "DMV"? It looks pretty close to NYC so it's not surprising that you'd know it. But I bet most in the US don't know the details of state lines in that area (I certainly needed a refresher) and there aren't many cues in the US media...sports teams, movies, etc. It's not a nationally-known tourist area.

As for "world class," totally agree. It's not the sort of thing that even can be defined.
I guess I just assumed that it was common knowledge in The US that DC sits on the Virginia/Maryland border, kind of like how people know that NYC sits on the NJ border (at least I think that’s common knowledge, right?). I don’t even know anymore. I guess what you were saying is correct. A lot of things that locals assume are well-known are actually unknown to most people.

I do want to point out that a lot of famous landmarks and places that people associate with DC and mistakenly believe to be in DC are actually in Maryland or Virginia. Ex:

NSA — Maryland
Pentagon — Virginia
Arlington national cemetery — Virginia
CIA — Virginia
FedEx Field (Redskins Stadium) — Maryland
Reagan airport — Virginia

I’m sure I missed a bunch too. These are things that every American knows, I guess it’s just not common knowledge they’re not actually located in DC proper. People probably visit some of these places as tourists and probably don’t even realize this.
One example I can think of in media is the show American Dad. The main character works for the CIA and it’s commonly mentioned throughout the show that they live in Langley, Virginia — where the CIA is located.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 01-07-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 PM

I bet the majority know that DC is between VA and MD. But we don't know much about Delaware or anything on or about the peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City