Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most beautiful night skyline
New york city 17 19.32%
Hong kong 21 23.86%
Seatle 13 14.77%
London 0 0%
paris 5 5.68%
Los angeles 1 1.14%
Chicago 14 15.91%
Beijing 0 0%
Tokyo 2 2.27%
Miami 5 5.68%
las vegas 7 7.95%
shangihai 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

L.A.'s skyline is not impressive at all. It's not great on the scale of the size of it. It's not great on the skyle of diversity of architecture or landmark buildings. It's just bland.

While Paris may be a great world class city, its skyline is bland as well.

Miami? It's a bunch of high rises that have little distinction. It has almost no height and no distinctive buildings.

Dubai is on my list because even though it doesn't have a lot of density right now, its buildings are impressive. They are unique, extremely tall, and diverse.

NYC, Chicago, Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong (which I left out), Dubai, and maybe San Fran and Seattle should be the only ones on the list.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Am I the only one who finds Hong Kong's skyline (at night only) to be hideous??? Ugh. Neon yellows, reds, oranges, pinks, blues, etc. What an eyesore! Doesnt look classy whatsoever IMO.
I think it's okay. NYC and Chicago certainly have more diverse skylines and, in my opinion, more beautiful. The mountain directly behind HK's is okay... Having a mountain so close like that would really drive me crazy. No room to really expand and have stretches of buildings in that direction... Then a highway going where? Too annoying and inconvenient for me.

I think NYC is in a prefect location. One of the greatest natural harbors in the world, possibly the best. Hills in the North Bronx and mountains in Westchester County, Orange County, and along the Hudson River and into the Catskill's. Then there's Long Island's beaches and good-sized cliffs offering a great weekend getaway to the Hamptons or Montauk. And NYC is smack in the middle of all of this. I couldn't live with a mountain as close to a city as HK's is. I'm all about urbanity, architecture, diversity, class, and history in a skyline.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I think it's okay. NYC and Chicago certainly have more diverse skylines and, in my opinion, more beautiful. The mountain directly behind HK's is okay... Having a mountain so close like that would really drive me crazy. No room to really expand and have stretches of buildings in that direction... Then a highway going where? Too annoying and inconvenient for me.

I think NYC is in a prefect location. One of the greatest natural harbors in the world, possibly the best. Hills in the North Bronx and mountains in Westchester County, Orange County, and along the Hudson River and into the Catskill's. Then there's Long Island's beaches and good-sized cliffs offering a great weekend getaway to the Hamptons or Montauk. And NYC is smack in the middle of all of this. I couldn't live with a mountain as close to a city as HK's is. I'm all about urbanity, architecture, diversity, class, and history in a skyline.
Oh I disagree completely about Hong Kong. It doesn't sound like you've actually been to Hong Kong. On top of the mountain are secluded reservoirs and country parks. On the other side of the mountain (literally just a couple of miles from downtown) are beautiful sandy beaches. And having the downtown area snug between the mountain and the harbor allows all kinds of variety to the area, including the world's longest escalator, miles of waterfront parks and boardwalks, and a linear downtown that's easy to navigate and has the most intense public transportation system in the world.

It's true that 20 years ago the HK skyline was pretty bland; most of the buildings looked alike. But since that time the HK skyline has mushroomed beyond our aging (but proud) American skylines to offer some spectacular modern architecture that is mirrored against the water on one side and backed up against a great big mountain on the other side. It's got the best of both worlds: man-made beauty and natural beauty.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I strongly disagree!! Frankfurt, NO DOUBT, has the best skyline in Europe, its beautiful.
guy, you maybe don't like Paris, but let's be honest, Frankfurt is so little to be compared. Frankfurt and its 5 or 6 skycrapers even if they are very beautiful cannot be compared with city like Moscow or Paris...

Quote:
And Moscow is closing in on it! Madrid and London are getting really good looking too.
lol

Well, what kind of problem do you have with Paris ? I ask because saying Paris is bland is one thing and saying London and Mardrid have good looking is another one....

So sorry but I have to insist. Paris is maybe not impressive but it remains the best skyline in Europe and nor London nor madrid can really compete with Paris. We will see how Moscow looks when Gazprom will finish its headbuilding.

Quote:
But La Défense is kind of bland. the there's no one skyscraper that sticks out and each skyscraper has similar colors.
I think you didn't take the time to really look at it.

Quote:
the designs are just okay, generally, there may be 1 or 2 that have nice designs.
Sure AGF, Coeur Défense, Société générale, la Grande Arche, etc etc are all buildings you can find everywhere !

Quote:
But La Defense isn't even in Paris i believe.
so stop to believe it;

Anyway, in 2015 Paris will change its "la défense". Some several new skycrapers will take place and others will be replaced.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-08-2008 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM

302 posts, read 933,225 times
Hong Kong - without compare.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds Hong Kong's skyline (at night only) to be hideous??? Ugh. Neon yellows, reds, oranges, pinks, blues, etc. What an eyesore! Doesnt look classy whatsoever IMO.
Yes, you are!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Thats great! And you dont know the first thing about architectural diversity nor density.

Oh, and it would be "their", not "there".
To each his own.

Oh, and it would be "you don't know the first thing about architectural diversity or density." Not, "you dont know the first thing about architectural diversity nor density."

Old 02-08-2008, 01:48 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh I disagree completely about Hong Kong. It doesn't sound like you've actually been to Hong Kong. On top of the mountain are secluded reservoirs and country parks. On the other side of the mountain (literally just a couple of miles from downtown) are beautiful sandy beaches. And having the downtown area snug between the mountain and the harbor allows all kinds of variety to the area, including the world's longest escalator, miles of waterfront parks and boardwalks, and a linear downtown that's easy to navigate and has the most intense public transportation system in the world.

It's true that 20 years ago the HK skyline was pretty bland; most of the buildings looked alike. But since that time the HK skyline has mushroomed beyond our aging (but proud) American skylines to offer some spectacular modern architecture that is mirrored against the water on one side and backed up against a great big mountain on the other side. It's got the best of both worlds: man-made beauty and natural beauty.
Well I didn't know that... I have to admit, that is fascinating... But I'd rather keep my city just pure city. Yes, HK is dense... The mountains are nice, but they would annoy me. When I think of hiking or camping in the mountains, I think of a twilight sky in the Adirondacks and the smell of pine... Not a sky lit up by a city and the smell of pollution. And that water is not he water I'd feel comfortable swimming in.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
guy, you maybe don't like Paris, but let's be honest, Frankfurt is so little to be compared. Frankfurt and its 5 or 6 skycrapers even if they are very beautiful cannot be compared with city like Moscow or Paris...
Guy, I have no problem with paris. La Defense is NOT even paris!!! La defense has been discribed as an office park, nothing else. Its NOT the amount of skyscrapers!!!! Its how it looks, and it has way more that 5 or 6 FYI

Quote:
lol

Well, what kind of problem do you have with Paris ? I ask because saying Paris is bland is one thing and saying London and Mardrid have good looking is another one....
I do NOT have a problem with Paris. What's your problem with accusing people of having problems when they have something we call "OPINIONS". IMHO, both London and madrid are very good looking! What's your problem with London and Mardrid?
[quote]

Quote:
Be serious, it's ugly and most of the spanish themselves will tell you that
Quote:
It's quite good, but again, too little to be compared !

So sorry but I have to insist. Paris is maybe not impressive but it remains the best skyline in Europe and nor London nor madrid can really compete with Paris. We will see how Moscow looks when Gazprom will finish its headbuilding.
I whole heartedly disagree. Frankfurt is the best. followed by London, and paris. Moscow will be number 1 soon though!

Quote:
I think you didn't take the time to really look at it.
Hypocrite.

Quote:
Sure AGF, Coeur Défense, Société générale, la Grande Arche, etc etc are all buildings you can find everywhere !
why yes, i agree, any building can be built anywhere in the world.

Quote:
so stop to believe it;
Do not command me what to do

LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!
That's completely irrelevant to the disscussion!!!!!

and no, actually those would be suburbs

yes, they will have a nice future skyline.now name me a large city that won't have a better future skyline. but you are way off subject of 'night skylines' pal.

wow.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-08-2008 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
VB1

1 posts, read 976 times
Ewww. Hong Kong's skyline looks so tacky in the night.

I'm going to have to go with New York on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City