U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
LA has more culture than all of pnw combined, funny this coming from someone who lives in the middle of nowhere.
Agreed. Say what you want about LA but it does NOT lack culture of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,922,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
LA has more culture than all of pnw combined, funny this coming from someone who lives in the middle of nowhere.
Relax, I was just relating the argument to a funny line in a movie. A little defensive perhaps? Attack attack attack. Good grief!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 16,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Thank you for responding. What price range are you looking at?

And if you are looking for a "house", then I'd go with Beverly Hills all the way.

I don't know what these people are on about though. If you're serious, you should really post in the LA and NYC local forums, not here.
As if price range roughly 2.5 million max for Beverly Hills these are the houses that I'm looking at so far

14200 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

8769 Skyline Drive, Los Angeles, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 10-10-2015, 11:54 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toben67 View Post
As if price range roughly 2.5 million max for Beverly Hills these are the houses that I'm looking at so far

14200 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

8769 Skyline Drive, Los Angeles, CA For Sale | Trulia.com
I'm pretty familiar with both areas. Neither of those are in Beverly Hills BTW, but both are in really nice areas (former in basically Sherman Oaks, latter in the Hollywood Hills)

Take it for what it is but if you have kids, both of those houses are zoned in LAUSD boundaries. I'm a LAUSD product myself, but if you can avoid it, avoid it. A lot of my law school class went to schools like Skyline, Harvard-Westlake, Campbell Hall, etc.

Both areas have relatively nice views, but the former ones will get you a view of the San Fernando Valley while the other one will get you a view of Hollywood and DTLA. IMO the latter is much nicer than the former.

Both areas are relatively shielded from crime so that shouldn't be any worry.

I also lived in NYC, but haven't in 10 years so my advice will be dodgy.

You should consider visiting both places before you make any kind of decision to see what feels right for you.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
There are actually nicer areas of the LA area than BH. I'd rather live on the Palisades or even Ranchos Palos Verdes over Beverly Hills.

Pacific Palisades Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Combines the best of living near the coast while being somewhat accessible to the city unlike Malibu (PCH is a pain during rush hour - I've had to do that journey plenty).
Palisades is part of LA so you have crappy public services, crappy schools and crappy cops. It's not its own city like BH. Now if you said Santa Monica which is next to the Palisades, yes I could see that, but not the Palisades or anywhere else within LA city limits. Another problem with the Palisades (and Santa Monica, and all other beach areas) is that the traffic is so horrendous that you're really cut off from most things in LA and you'd better hope you work west of the 405.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Palisades are nice, but are cheaper than BH. That means the market judges the Palisades as less desirable, which makes sense, as it's an isolated area with fewer amenities, and has the crap LA schools and services.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Palisades are nice, but are cheaper than BH. That means the market judges the Palisades as less desirable, which makes sense, as it's an isolated area with fewer amenities, and has the crap LA schools and services.
According to recent data from Trulia.com the average sale price and price per square foot for homes is higher in the Pacific Palisades than Beverly Hills.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:00 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
According to recent data from Trulia.com the average sale price and price per square foot for homes is higher in the Pacific Palisades than Beverly Hills.
Trulia is useless, because it just averages recent sales, regardless of the nature of sales.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Trulia is useless, because it just averages recent sales, regardless of the nature of sales.
Even if you look a the past year or past 5 years, PP is higher or comparable to BH. It may be isolated and have fewer amenities but it's coastal, like Malibu.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:41 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
You guys know the OP already posted where they were looking right? That's right smack middle, not even borderline, of the LA City limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City