Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

I don't know about Chicago being the great American city. But I definitely agree with you that Chicago is a unique city and should be treated as such. And there is no New York like New York itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
1. Chicago isn't a mini anything-- it's a big city any way you slice it.

2. Chicago is more like New York than other US cities because of the forest of skyscrapers in the central area.

3. Of course Chi is its own city. Every city is its own city; doesn't mean you can't compare them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
I've honestly never heard Chicago being called a mini New York. They're both different cities, different places in the US. They are great cities in their own respect.
I agree with both these 2 posts. I grew up here, plus have visited NYC twice, and I definitely would not call Chicago a mini NYC. Like different posters have said, NYC and Chicago are their own beasts of a city, plus IIRC NYC's boroughs outside of Manhattan(possibly excluding Staten Island, I'd suspect) are denser than most Chicago neighborhoods.

I suppose I can see the 'mini NYC' term, if it helps someone who doesn't know much about Chicago understand it's a fraction of the size of NYC?

Old 10-23-2015, 06:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Is Chicago really a "unique" city? One thing people love to say about Chicago is that it's "all American". To me, Chicago doesn't scream unique like NOLA, Miami, or SF does.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 AM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Is Chicago really a "unique" city? One thing people love to say about Chicago is that it's "all American". To me, Chicago doesn't scream unique like NOLA, Miami, or SF does.
Chicago has that awe factor for many visitors. Go to any traveling site and read the reviews on Chicago, most who care to comment are in love with the city. Also, there is much more to do un Chicago than Miami or New Orleansand on par with San Francisco. Weather being equal, you would get bored faster in Miami and New Orleans after spending a few days there. You could go weeks in Chicago (SF too), especially in summer, before you run out of things to do.

Last edited by Mr Ambitious; 10-23-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
LOL. Chicago. LOL.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
LOL. Chicago. LOL.
TRUTH ALWAYS SHOWS....... of ones true opinions.... sometimes in ones shortest responses.... all the spin otherwise one tries to hide it.... will never again work. ..... no explanation needed.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
TRUTH ALWAYS SHOWS....... of ones true opinions.... sometimes in ones shortest responses.... all the spin otherwise one tries to hide it.... will never again work. ..... no explanation needed.
I figured that one out a long time ago.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:00 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
LOL. Chicago. LOL.
Insecure much?

Old 10-24-2015, 11:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranacMan View Post
Not even close.

The only cities similar to Philadelphia are New York and Boston, and even then its a stretch.
It's the only major East Coast city that adopted the grid plan. New York and Boston retained the medieval European spaghetti street plan. Chicago is similar but with modern additions in the Chicago grid (numbering and naming).

Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's the only major East Coast city that adopted the grid plan. New York and Boston retained the medieval European spaghetti street plan. Chicago is similar but with modern additions in the Chicago grid (numbering and naming).
New York doesn't have a grid? I know Manhattan below Houston gets weird, and Staten Island is exempt, but I thought the rest of the city is more or less on a grid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City