Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

I really dislike the common notion out there that Chicago is some sort of "mini New York". I find it absurd. Chicago, to me, is a totally unique city. We totally respect New York, but we never have and never will aspire to be it, no desire to be New York, anymore than we would aspire to be like any other great city that we also respect….like Boston, Washington, San Francisco, or Los Angeles.

Chicago is "the great American city", the product of America in the way that our coastal peers and their european roots are not. that's not said in any terms of "better" or "worse"…..just different. We are "interior"….and interior is not inferior and is not fly over country any more than it would be absurd for interior Chicago to see itself as the center with NY and SF on the periphery. And as "interior" ours more than any other city is the real story of America coming of age in the 19th century.

The city by the lake, the windy city, my kind of town stands on its own…its own special place, a city like no other. I don't say that to put down any other city which we don't need to do: we're confident in ourselves that we can more than be comfortable with those other great cities out there. And while others do love it and sing our praises, what impresses me far more about Chicago is how we Chicagoans love the place…we are the ultimate "homers" and that home town pride is a special part of what makes Chicago Chicago.

sorry for the rant (for rant it is), it's just that, as i said, that insane "mini-NY" notion makes me cringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:54 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I've never thought of Chicago as a mini New York. There's just no other city like New York and not even in a smaller sense. Same goes for LA. Well maybe Miami might be a mini LA. As for Chicago I see it as a big Minneapolis.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 51,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i really dislike the common notion out there that chicago is some sort of "mini new york". I find it absurd. Chicago, to me, is a totally unique city. We totally respect new york, but we never have and never will aspire to be it, no desire to be new york, anymore than we would aspire to be like any other great city that we also respect….like philadelphia, boston, washington, san francisco, or los angeles.

Chicago is "the great american city", the product of america in the way that our coastal peers and their european roots are not. That's not said in any terms of "better" or "worse"…..just different. We are "interior"….and interior is not inferior and is not fly over country any more than it would be absurd for interior chicago to see itself as the center with ny and sf on the periphery. And as "interior" ours more than any other city is the real story of america coming of age in the 19th century.

The city by the lake, the windy city, my kind of town stands on its own…its own special place, a city like no other. I don't say that to put down any other city which we don't need to do: We're confident in ourselves that we can more than be comfortable with those other great cities out there. And while others do love it and sing our praises, what impresses me far more about chicago is how we chicagoans love the place…we are the ultimate "homers" and that home town pride is a special part of what makes chicago chicago.

Sorry for the rant (for rant it is), it's just that, as i said, that insane "mini-ny" notion makes me cringe.

fify.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I don't think of Chicago as a mini New York. Never have. I like Chicago a lot more than New York.

Chicago is the perfect combination of being Middle America and an International city whereas NYC is strictly international. I lived in Liincoln Park for two years. If the weather weren't so putrid, I'd still be there. I can't do those winters again tho...

Old 09-20-2015, 04:54 PM

84 posts, read 146,918 times
I've always loved Chicago. Like the above poster stated if it wasn't for the winters I would live there. This is coming from a Miami guy so the cold weather is the biggest and only factor for me. Other than that it is a great city and I never think of it as a baby New York. I remember when some people would refer to Miami as the 6th borough of NYC and I hated it. I love NYC also....but I hated the notion.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Well maybe Miami might be a mini LA.
Miami is nothing like Los Angeles. Why do people keep saying this?

Their climates are dissimilar, their topographies are dissimilar, their demographics are dissimilar, their economies are dissimilar, their political landscapes are dissimilar, their architecture is dissimilar, their flora and fauna is dissimilar, their wildlife is dissimilar, their precipitation levels is dissimilar, their linguistic composition is dissimilar, their infrastructure is dissimilar, their natural disasters are dissimilar, their urban form is dissimilar, their nightlife is dissimilar, hell even their crime rates are dissimilar.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Miami is nothing like Los Angeles. Why do people keep saying this?

Their climates are dissimilar, their topographies are dissimilar, their demographics are dissimilar, their economies are dissimilar, their political landscapes are dissimilar, their architecture is dissimilar, their flora and fauna is dissimilar, their wildlife is dissimilar, their precipitation levels is dissimilar, their linguistic composition is dissimilar, their infrastructure is dissimilar, their natural disasters are dissimilar, their urban form is dissimilar, their nightlife is dissimilar, hell even their crime rates are dissimilar.
I hear you and I agree, but they're really the only U.S. major cities (along with San Diego) with beaches and palm trees (Honolulu as well?), and that's where the association comes from. They're also both sunny and have a heavy Latin vibe, despite the different Latino demographics.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:17 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've never thought of Chicago as a mini New York. There's just no other city like New York and not even in a smaller sense. Same goes for LA. Well maybe Miami might be a mini LA. As for Chicago I see it as a big Minneapolis.

Nah

Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Chicago is more like a bigger Philadelphia than a mini New York.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:25 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Chicago is more like a bigger Philadelphia than a mini New York.
No. It is not like Philly either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City