U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fashion cappy of the south
Dallas 23 20.00%
Houston 4 3.48%
Atlanta 20 17.39%
Miami 62 53.91%
other 6 5.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,205,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Folk in Miami tend to dress to the nines. I couldn't tell you if they're just visitors or residents that I've experienced.
Probably a mix of the two, but my guess would be that a decent amount of them are the tourists. 26% of Miami's actual population lives below the poverty line, so I doubt those people are spending their money on this season's hottest trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,951,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Probably a mix of the two, but my guess would be that a decent amount of them are the tourists. 26% of Miami's actual population lives below the poverty line, so I doubt those people are spending their money on this season's hottest trend.
Actually, you'd be surprised. Urban poor actually tend to spend a lot of whatever they get on fashion (if you're gonna be poor and/or live on subsistence, might as well look good). Latino culture is very concerned with appearance as it is, and with Miami being a vain city to begin with, I'd say Miami is in the running for best dressed city in the entire country, not just the South. The only thing holding Miami back is you can't really layer and wear fall/winter fashions.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:26 PM

183 posts, read 183,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Miami and Dallas are guaranteed first and second place. It's a complete wash between Houston and Atlanta.
It's not a wash between Houston and Atlanta. Again, Atlanta has a massive Market Center (AmericasMart) comprised of four buildings totaling 7 million sq feet. Fashion trends for a large portion of the Southeast spread out from Atlanta.

Many fashion trends for Houston come from Dallas' Market Center.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:38 PM

233 posts, read 446,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Lived in South Fl full-time for several years and still own a condo there. What does living in Atlanta have to do with it? Have you been to or lived in said areas, I highly doubt it. Why are you people so defensive? I'm not bashing Miami in anyway, but squashing this notion that it doesn't have southern elements.
Grew up in Saouth Florida and have family in Atlanta... You're post is nonsense... One there aren't many trailer parks in South Florida (the last one in my town has been redeveloped into high end condos) because land in South Florida has a premium because it's limited, two miami dade county is only 17 percent non Hispanic white with most being from outside the south, three those majority AA areas in dade are filled with Caribbean immigrants that consider themselves Zoes or Jamaican etc than southern, but apparently rebel flags and trailer park culture is prevalent? Let alone the most you've ever seen? And you live in Georgia? Really? I am trying to think of where you might get a Southern vibe but all I can think is maybe extreme outskirts areas like Florida City, Loxahatchee.... Belle Glade, Clewiston, and Fort Pierce/PSL are trailer parkish/ white trash but they are far out of core South Florida metro. Davie used to have the reputation of redneck years ago but now it's filled with upper middle class suburban developments and expensive ranch homes with a more rural vibe ( for South Florida).. Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) lives out there. I just don't see much Southern culture in South Florida.. Even most of the poor white ( some might be seen as trashy) people that I know are originally from the NE and Midwest and not stereotypical racist southern white trash. I know there's the chilli cook off each year that has a redneck motif but that's about the extent I've seen in Broward/Palm Beach... Saying Miami Dade is Southern is laughable.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:40 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,186,194 times
Quote:
Chile, he's a troll. Don't feed them. They're just like seagulls.
Yet I have contributed more to this thread than you have. Looks like you are the troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
It's not a wash between Houston and Atlanta. Again, Atlanta has a massive Market Center (AmericasMart) comprised of four buildings totaling 7 million sq feet. Fashion trends for a large portion of the Southeast spread out from Atlanta.

Many fashion trends for Houston come from Dallas' Market Center.
Again, are we ranking presence of brand names? Or how people actually dress in these cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Dude, before I moved to Houston I was here once a month for work (for about 3-5 days) and to visit my father. I may not have lived here as long as you have but over the course of my life, I have probably spent more time in Houston than you have. I stand by what I said and no I don't find Houston to be as fashion forward or trendy.
What is your definition of fashion forward?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,016,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Grew up in Saouth Florida and have family in Atlanta... You're post is nonsense... One there aren't many trailer parks in South Florida (the last one in my town has been redeveloped into high end condos) because land in South Florida has a premium because it's limited, two miami dade county is only 17 percent non Hispanic white with most being from outside the south, three those majority AA areas in dade are filled with Caribbean immigrants that consider themselves Zoes or Jamaican etc than southern, but apparently rebel flags and trailer park culture is prevalent? Let alone the most you've ever seen? And you live in Georgia? Really? I am trying to think of where you might get a Southern vibe but all I can think is maybe extreme outskirts areas like Florida City, Loxahatchee.... Belle Glade, Clewiston, and Fort Pierce/PSL are trailer parkish/ white trash but they are far out of core South Florida metro. Davie used to have the reputation of redneck years ago but now it's filled with upper middle class suburban developments and expensive ranch homes with a more rural vibe ( for South Florida).. Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) lives out there. I just don't see much Southern culture in South Florida.. Even most of the poor white ( some might be seen as trashy) people that I know are originally from the NE and Midwest and not stereotypical racist southern white trash. I know there's the chilli cook off each year that has a redneck motif but that's about the extent I've seen in Broward/Palm Beach... Saying Miami Dade is Southern is laughable.
I want waste anymore time responding to you or anyone else about Miami being Southern or not.

Since Miami is not southern to you, what is the fashion capital of the south?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 AM

905 posts, read 912,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I finally agree with you on something.
When did we disagree on anything?

Didn't realize I've ever had font with a Birmingham poster.

Anyway, good day.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, that's you.
Actually Houston is the most laid back in this regard. Houstonians don't flaunt their wealth like the other 3. There's no denying that.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I personally don't think Houston is a fashionable city, but I honestly don't consider it a bad thing. Houston is the most laid back of all the major cities in the south. People are comfortable in whatever clothes they have on. So while Houston isn't as fashion forward as the other three major cities in the South, its not necessarily a bad thing.
How did I miss this post?

+1

Folk in Houston are just more laid back in general as I too have said before.

But they got money tho. More than Atlanta, Dallas, or Miami.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:42 AM

18,592 posts, read 26,953,730 times
Quote:
How did I miss this post?

+1

Folk in Houston are just more laid back in general as I too have said before.

But they got money tho. More than Atlanta, Dallas, or Miami.
I can agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City