U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas City vs St. Louis
Kansas City 68 49.64%
St. Louis 69 50.36%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:43 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,150,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

1. hahahha. Have you ever even spent more than a weekend in the cities you claim to know about? I have stayed over the course of two decades of my adult life, probably at least 2-3 months (usually in 3-5 day spurts) in KC for business. I was just there last month actually. Good to see lots of construction downtown.

2.However, it simply cannot hold a candle to St Louis in terms of anything really.

3. STL feels like a big city.

4. KC feels like a midsize city.

5. That's ok because I would actually choose to LIVE in KC over STL to be honest.

6. It seems cleaner, safer, and more livable.

7. It's why I chose to settle in Louisville after living all over.

8. But to say that KC is anything as urban as STL is just dreaming really.

9. STL has some urban hoods only rivaled by Chicago, Boston, Philly, and NYC.

10. In the Midwest, STL has no comparison except for Cincinnati, Chicago, or Minneapolis in terms of urban built environment.
1. Yes.

2. It can and does in lots of aspects, actually.

3. Not to me

4. It does. Because it is.

5. Me, too.

6. It isn't.

7. Cool. I like Louisville. I wouldn't live in the south ever again, but I can see why.

8. KC has some things "as urban" as StL, but not much. But St Louis isn't very "urban" any more except in terms of built environment....

9. And all those cities have some "urban hoods" StL can't rival, as do Baltimore, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Denver, Seattle, DC, and Miami. In no small part because...they are bigger.

10. In the midwest, StL's closest comparison is Cleveland, maybe Cincinnati second, which is kind of like a hybrid of StL and KC. It fares pretty poorly in comparison to Chicago and Minneapolis in terms of how dense, urban, walkable, transit oriented or vibrant it is...and it's about as different from any of them in terms of built environment as it is from KC. St Louis is really unique in that regard. Cincinnati is less unique, but still a bit of an outlier, especially in certain quadrants of the city, other large swaths of Cincy look a lot like KC or any of the great lakes Ohio and Michigan cities. KC and Minneapolis, interestingly, are actually very, very similar. Chicago is its own beast, a beats with a little baby beast just to the north of it...

11. None of that is germane to the OP's criteria...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 02:02 PM

5,172 posts, read 2,856,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Which city has;

The best variety of ethnic food - St Louis, but KC has some good options as well.

The best weather - About the same, but KC seems to get a little more snow

The best people - I'd say KC people are just a little nicer, but the fight between KCMO and JOCO annoys me.

The most diversity - STL, no doubt

The least amount of racist European Americans - Who knows? However, I feel as if the KC metro area as a whole is more conservative and "redneck" feeling, especially when you get up north.

The lowest COL - Depends on the part of town, but KC is probably a little cheaper

The most rain - About the same

The most amount of fitness conscious people - This is a tough one. After I visited Minneapolis, I realized how much KC and STL are lacking when it comes to parks and walking trails and sidewalks.

I'd say that overall, STL is more known nationally. But that doesn't mean it's a better place to live. I've never lived in either city, but based on my dozens of visits, I'd rather live in STL. It has a certain atmosphere and uniqueness that KC lacks. KC just feels like Omaha, Des Moines, or some other general Midwest city to me.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,535,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
1. Yes.

2. It can and does in lots of aspects, actually.

3. Not to me

4. It does. Because it is.

5. Me, too.

6. It isn't.

7. Cool. I like Louisville. I wouldn't live in the south ever again, but I can see why.

8. KC has some things "as urban" as StL, but not much. But St Louis isn't very "urban" any more except in terms of built environment....

9. And all those cities have some "urban hoods" StL can't rival, as do Baltimore, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Denver, Seattle, DC, and Miami. In no small part because...they are bigger.

10. In the midwest, StL's closest comparison is Cleveland, maybe Cincinnati second, which is kind of like a hybrid of StL and KC. It fares pretty poorly in comparison to Chicago and Minneapolis in terms of how dense, urban, walkable, transit oriented or vibrant it is...and it's about as different from any of them in terms of built environment as it is from KC. St Louis is really unique in that regard. Cincinnati is less unique, but still a bit of an outlier, especially in certain quadrants of the city, other large swaths of Cincy look a lot like KC or any of the great lakes Ohio and Michigan cities. KC and Minneapolis, interestingly, are actually very, very similar. Chicago is its own beast, a beats with a little baby beast just to the north of it...

11. None of that is germane to the OP's criteria...
I've never been overly impressed by Minneapolis' built environment. I'm way more impressed by its vibrancy and cleanliness. St. Louis also has a much more extensive rail system and if we ever build the N-S Metrolink line it will be no contest.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 PM

987 posts, read 833,798 times
Very misleading pictures

Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,072,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I've never been overly impressed by Minneapolis' built environment. I'm way more impressed by its vibrancy and cleanliness. St. Louis also has a much more extensive rail system and if we ever build the N-S Metrolink line it will be no contest.
Really?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_(Minnesota)
Metropolitan Council - Light Rail Projects

Old 10-30-2015, 12:19 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,568,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Very misleading pictures
How so? I feel like they put an equal amount of each city in perspective

Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,535,340 times
Yes, really St. Louis has the 2nd largest rail system in the Midwest. Metrolink is about 45 miles all grade separated. Minneapolis' system is about 21 miles, largely street running. I think MSP recently got higher ridership, but its still close. Minneapolis benefits from having a moderately liberal state govt. Missouri does not fund transit at ALL, which has significantly limited growth of our system.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,117 times
cesspool vs wasteland

Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 PM

1,654 posts, read 1,946,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstrp1 View Post
While I can not speak on most, I would definitely argue architecture. Outside of Chicago, I would think KC would have some of the best art-deco structures in the Midwest and maybe the country. I have left some out.

Hotel Phillips
http://www.agaartka.com/wp-content/u..._1372small.jpg

http://www.agaartka.com/wp-content/u..._1379small.jpg
Midland Theater
http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albu.../kcmo_0146.jpg
Power & Light Building
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7057/6...820a7b61_b.jpg
Power & Light Building
http://www.emporis.com/images/show/4...l-at-night.jpg

Municipal Auditorium
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c43758cb12.jpg

Union Station
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5567b40a3b.jpg

And to add something just a tad bit more modern...
Kauffman Center
http://bachariasoloists.com/wp-conte...cial-night.jpg

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...g?format=1000w

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=tJ2vUKnn
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Obviously you have never been to Detroit.

Yes, KC has some fine architecture, but my point is, the urban core of KC is probably 1/4 the size of St. Louis's urban core. St. Louis has inner-ring suburbs that are more urban than a good chunk of KC proper. Of course they're different types of cities, but when it comes to urban environment, KC simply can't hold a candle to St. Louis, which was at the turn of the 20th century the 4th largest city in the country, and also one of the wealthiest.
Thanks, GASM, for sticking up for Detroit! I remember you from the old Detroityes forum!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:14 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,547,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Very misleading pictures
Not at all...I searched a good bit for the most flattering ones. They are pretty representative of each skyline, and KCMO wins this one. St. Louis, for all its charms, does not have a great skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or