U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas City vs St. Louis
Kansas City 68 49.64%
St. Louis 69 50.36%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:47 AM

452 posts, read 291,237 times

Advertisements

For the KC and STL savvy, I'm curious:

1) which of these two cities has more of a creative class (engineers, artists, musicians...) with more paid job opportunities??

2) which of these two cities is more socially conservative (conservative Christian population, marriage-minded women, etc)?

3) which of these two cities has more fit/in-shape/fashionable people??

4) which of these two cities has more affordable, attractive housing stock (suburbs included)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:40 PM

677 posts, read 1,145,267 times
1) which of these two cities has more of a creative class (engineers, artists, musicians...) with more paid job opportunities??

Kansas City

2) which of these two cities is more socially conservative (conservative Christian population, marriage-minded women, etc)?

Both have very liberal central cities, with moderate to conservative suburbs, surrounded by very conservative exurbs/rural area. Overall, the KC area is a bit more conservative.

I haven't noticed any difference.

4) which of these two cities has more affordable, attractive housing stock (suburbs included)?

From the latest data I see for the metros, the median home price in St. Louis is lower at $157k vs $177k in KC. Attractive is subjective. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but I give STL the edge.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:43 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Yea, I agree. While I do think that Downtown KC (along with crown center, crossroads, river market etc) is better than central StL and I do think the Plaza is better than CWE, that doesn't mean that KC overall is better. KC wins in many categories, but StL wins in transit, universities, parks, suburbs, airport etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
For the KC and STL savvy, I'm curious:

Kansas City and I think by quite a bit. KC is one of the largest architectural and engineering towns the country. It has the most engineers and architects per capita and several of the top 20 largest firms are based in the city. The city is also a top advertising area with a few of the top national advertising firms, plus the city is home to Hallmark Cards. KC has a world class performing arts center, several very good museums, a Washington DC worthy national memorial (museum portion is at least equal to museum under the arch) and one of the largest arts districts in the country. Although KC has a solid music history, I think St Louis does as well and they are probably equal in that category, but KC overall has more to offer for those in engineering and creative fields.

Quote:
I have lived in both, still have family and friends in both and I think there is pretty much no difference between the cities here. Neither are very socially conservative except some of the outer suburbs. KCMO and StL city/county are pretty liberal places, especially for the midwest.

Quote:
Again, pretty even. Neither are very fit cities nor would I call them fashionable.

Quote:
St Louis has better housing stock outside of downtown. I think the housing stock in the inner and outer suburbs of St Louis blow away KC's suburban housing stock and while KC has some decent urban single family neighborhoods, they don't compare to StL hoods. Downtown KC and the surrounding districts of Downtown plus the Plaza have far more to offer than central StL though. Downtown StL, much of midtown etc just don't compare to what KC has going. Central West End has some nice urban housing options though.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 PM

185 posts, read 148,775 times
I find it funny to hear Kansas Citians argue with STL folks on crime rates. KCMO EASILY holds it's own with STL city's crime rate in the original 1950's (s. of river to roughly 85th, state line e. to what is now I-435) city limits. The only reason KCMO's crime rates are sigificantly lower than those of STL is because as mentioned earlier, KCMO city limits encompass 313 sq mi, which includes many suburban areas, large city/county parks, and massive swaths of undeveloped land.

Crime rates in the original city limits aren't significantly lower than those of STL city. Both cities are often within a couple spots of each other on many crime stat rankings.

And yes, greater STL is bigger than greater KC. They have more Fortune 500 companies with a larger ecenomy. Their core is more dense than ours. And...? What about it? Both metros still compare favorably and rather closely on most stats that matter to many everyday people, especially those unfamiliar with either place. They have three million, we have two. Aside from rail transit, a FREE & awesome zoo, and White Castle, there's not a whole lot that can be done in STL that can't be done in KC. They both have big city infrastructure, crime, amenities, food, and diversity. STL has a FEW more black folks, along with more eastern europeans. We have WAY more hispanics with some Africans & Indians.

While the cities have their differences, when viewing the bigger picture, neither really significantly outshines the other. With that said, Many states would kill to have either city. Missouri has both. Enjoy both for what they're worth.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,532,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
I find it funny to hear Kansas Citians argue with STL folks on crime rates. KCMO EASILY holds it's own with STL city's crime rate in the original 1950's (s. of river to roughly 85th, state line e. to what is now I-435) city limits. The only reason KCMO's crime rates are sigificantly lower than those of STL is because as mentioned earlier, KCMO city limits encompass 313 sq mi, which includes many suburban areas, large city/county parks, and massive swaths of undeveloped land.

Crime rates in the original city limits aren't significantly lower than those of STL city. Both cities are often within a couple spots of each other on many crime stat rankings.

And yes, greater STL is bigger than greater KC. They have more Fortune 500 companies with a larger ecenomy. Their core is more dense than ours. And...? What about it? Both metros still compare favorably and rather closely on most stats that matter to many everyday people, especially those unfamiliar with either place. They have three million, we have two. Aside from rail transit, a FREE & awesome zoo, and White Castle, there's not a whole lot that can be done in STL that can't be done in KC. They both have big city infrastructure, crime, amenities, food, and diversity. STL has a FEW more black folks, along with more eastern europeans. We have WAY more hispanics with some Africans & Indians.

While the cities have their differences, when viewing the bigger picture, neither really significantly outshines the other. With that said, Many states would kill to have either city. Missouri has both. Enjoy both for what they're worth.
KC is considerably more Hispanics, but St. Louis has literally twice as many Blacks about 500k in the metro compared to KC's 250k. I also think St. Louis has just as many if not more Asian groups.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:23 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,532,433 times
The urban core of St. Louis and KC are also not comparable. KC is way more spread out and feels like a smaller metro. St. Louis Co. without St. Louis City is nearly twice as dense as KC city proper. Honestly, KC is a lot more comparable to Indianapolis or Columbus in terms of size and urban layout.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The urban core of St. Louis and KC are also not comparable. KC is way more spread out and feels like a smaller metro. St. Louis Co. without St. Louis City is nearly twice as dense as KC city proper. Honestly, KC is a lot more comparable to Indianapolis or Columbus in terms of size and urban layout.
While I agree that Metro StL is a larger more urban metropolitan area and I actually prefer (but only slightly), StL over KC, This is totally incorrect.

The urban core of KCMO and StL City are VERY comparable if not two of the most similar cities you can compare. Now south StL city is much more dense and urban than anything outside of the River to Plaza corridor in KCMO, but the primary urban corridors of the cities (River to CWE vs River to Plaza) are very comparable. Once you start to include Clayton, StL County etc, the metro area pulls away from KC quickly as a more cohesive urbanized region. Metro KC is much more spread out with lots of gaps of undeveloped land etc outside the core. But the cores of the cities are very comparable.

Also, St County is NOT twice as dense as KC Proper. That's totally misleading and you know it. Yes, St Luis county is very built up and had good density, but you can't take the KCMO city wide density stat and use it for much of anything because of all the annexed land north of the river and far south and east sides. KCMO inside of 435 and south of the river has densities of 4000-7000 per sq mile. That's not exactly high, but it sure is not half of what StL county is.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM

854 posts, read 992,609 times
May as well let a KC journalist settle this:

Identifying the Kansas City - St. Louis Cultural Divide - Royals Review

Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 PM

2,357 posts, read 2,009,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
While I agree that Metro StL is a larger more urban metropolitan area and I actually prefer (but only slightly), StL over KC, This is totally incorrect.

The urban core of KCMO and StL City are VERY comparable if not two of the most similar cities you can compare. Now south StL city is much more dense and urban than anything outside of the River to Plaza corridor in KCMO, but the primary urban corridors of the cities (River to CWE vs River to Plaza) are very comparable. Once you start to include Clayton, StL County etc, the metro area pulls away from KC quickly as a more cohesive urbanized region. Metro KC is much more spread out with lots of gaps of undeveloped land etc outside the core. But the cores of the cities are very comparable.

Also, St County is NOT twice as dense as KC Proper. That's totally misleading and you know it. Yes, St Luis county is very built up and had good density, but you can't take the KCMO city wide density stat and use it for much of anything because of all the annexed land north of the river and far south and east sides. KCMO inside of 435 and south of the river has densities of 4000-7000 per sq mile. That's not exactly high, but it sure is not half of what StL county is.
St. Louis County isn't twice as dense, but it is denser overall than Kansas City proper. The county also has areas that aren't properly built up, by the way.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM

185 posts, read 148,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
KC is considerably more Hispanics, but St. Louis has literally twice as many Blacks about 500k in the metro compared to KC's 250k. I also think St. Louis has just as many if not more Asian groups.
Raw number of blacks in STL should be higher than KC, since greater STL has more people all around. Black population percentages differ by a few points. A black person from any place south of Interstate 40 and east of US 65 probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Both cities would likely feel pretty "white" in comparison...

Last edited by 2000_Watts; 11-11-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or