Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I live in NYC and feel the region is too big to have the same type of cohesive feel as smaller regions. I don't get the sense that most people know much about other boroughs little less places outside of NYC.
That is because you are a transplant that lives in a neighborhood full of transplants. (I am not using "transplant" as an insult here btw, just saying you are still don't have the knowledge a lot of NYers have). Most native New Yorkers, with the exception of people from the projects maybe, know most boroughs pretty well, or at least have been in them countless times. The fact that you have friends that don't visit your house because its in another borough is 100% a transplant thing. I assume you also don't know the name of your local guy at the deli either... small things like that.

Quote:
And this goes for someone like my wife who's lived in NYC for most of her formative years. There are high schools in NYC that she and her friends have never heard of. I can't imagine someone saying the name of a Philly high school and me being like
This is perfectly normal if you live in a big city. Most people in all of the big cities roughly the size of new york don't know about all the school names in the city.... Your mind just hasn't adjusted yet. Thats like somebody coming from a small country like Belgium and saying, I can't believe most people in the United States don't know every single high school name in the country.... Or a person from a rural area saying I can't believe you guys don't know the names of all your neighbors, you big city folk are so stuck up and provincial! ... don't even greet every single person you meet on the street either...

Last edited by Gantz; 09-23-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:09 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That is because you are a transplant that lives in a neighborhood full of transplants. Most native New Yorkers, with the exception of people from the projects maybe, know most boroughs pretty well, or at least have been in them countless times.
Didn't you say you didn't even grow up in New York?

I don't live in a neighborhood full of transplants.

I don't get the sense that most New Yorkers know other boroughs well at all.

Quote:
This is perfectly normal if you live in a big city. Most people in all of the big cities roughly the size of new york don't know about all the school names in the city.... Thats like somebody coming from a small country like Belgium and saying, I can't believe most people in the United States don't know every single high school name in the country....
My point was that this makes the region feel less cohesive than, say, the Delaware Valley. My "small" hometown only has 37 public high schools, and I know all of them. I even know all of the suburban schools (at least on the PA side).

In this regard, it's almost like going to a small liberal arts school like Williams compared to a big state school like Texas A&M.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That is because you are a transplant.
Quote:
I didn't grow up in the US, but I did grow up in a large city.
Hmm. So what makes you so uniquely qualified to speak on this? Where in Brooklyn do you live, btw?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:18 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
By the way, I think DC area is much more cohesive, but it has nothing to do with the arguments in this thread. Its because it is not really a tri-state area anyway. Everything is much closer together because its de facto a two state area, not a tri-state.
Mentally, I think the comparison in this thread largely boils down to NY/NJ vs. PA/NJ vs. MD/VA.

CT and DE are too far out of the loop for most people. And DC is almost like a city in Maryland.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Mentally, I think the comparison in this thread largely boils down to NY/NJ vs. PA/NJ vs. MD/VA.

CT and DE are too far out of the loop for most people. And DC is almost like a city in Maryland.
probably accurate

all three metros include 4 states/districts in reality with NY adding PA, Philly adding MD, and DC adding WV

Old 09-23-2015, 03:22 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Please see my latest post to see what I mean.

This is asking about cohesiveness of 3 major metro areas. Chances are, everyone responding has not lived in or maybe even been to all 3 of these areas. So locals are the best people to ask, especially lifelong residents or people who lived there for many years and traveled around the area a lot to get a good idea of how it works. This is why a local's opinion matters more. Ideally, getting someone who has lived and spent considerable time in all 3 would probably give the best, most real answer, but it's probably pretty unlikely. So you listen to what locals say.

You may think it's too large, but we don't. I know I personally do not. You would rather listen to some poster from CA (for example) who's never even lived here than take my word and my personal experience for it? Okay, but that seems dumb to me. You may as well say, anyone who lives there, don't respond.
But how is your word better than others? Have you lived in DC Metro? No? So how is your professional opinion that Metro NYC is more cohesive across 3 states better than someone who's lived in DC but not NYC? How is either opinion (resident of one but never the other) better than someone who visits either and has no emotional ties to either, and is thus perhaps a little more unbiased?

Conversely, and I can say the same about certain other cities/metros when it comes to certain things (like the perspective of apartments/cost of living by both New Yorkers and residents of SF will be way out of whack compared to 99% of most people), but how is it that a resident of New York's opinion about cohesiveness, size/scope, etc anything remotely typical for a question such as this? More people live in an environment similar to DC or smaller than New York or similar/larger.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Yeah this is true. People say CT is a little more flung from NYC compared to NJ but really how close is DE to Philly? I get the sense that it's not that much.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Chances are, everyone responding has not lived in or maybe even been to all 3 of these areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
But how is your word better than others? Have you lived in DC Metro? No? So how is your professional opinion that Metro NYC is more cohesive across 3 states better than someone who's lived in DC but not NYC? How is either opinion (resident of one but never the other) better than someone who visits either and has no emotional ties to either, and is thus perhaps a little more unbiased?
I've lived in all three.

NYC is a big place. Queens alone is about the size of Philly. Brooklyn is physically larger than DC. The Bronx is roughly the size of Boston. That's a lot of territory to learn. I mean, there are people in Mt. Airy who literally never go to South Philly, and people in West Philly that never go to the Northeast. So can you imagine what it's like in a place where each borough could be a major city on its own?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Yeah this is true. People say CT is a little more flung from NYC compared to NJ but really how close is DE to Philly? I get the sense that it's not that much.
DE is about 8 miles from the closest border of Philadelphia, actually the closest border of MD is only about 20 miles, and just for giggles the closest border of NY (Staten Island NYC) is only 46 miles as the crow flies from Philadelphia to NYC

Old 09-23-2015, 03:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post

Conversely, and I can say the same about certain other cities/metros when it comes to certain things (like the perspective of apartments/cost of living by both New Yorkers and residents of SF will be way out of whack compared to 99% of most people), but how is it that a resident of New York's opinion about cohesiveness, size/scope, etc anything remotely typical for a question such as this? More people live in an environment similar to DC or smaller than New York or similar/larger.
My word's not better than others'. It's just my opinion based off the fact that there's nothing else like the PANYNJ. I think this alone makes the NYC area unique. And this is a fact, there is no other bi state agency that does nearly as much as the Port Authority and ties in so much of two states under one agency. But somebody can think another metro is most cohesive for another reason.

Like I said, the only true opinion that matters regarding a place is those who live there - for anywhere. Living here, we have to deal with the good and the bad. A visitor could roll through and say, the area's too large, it's not cohesive, or this place is too small, I like bigger, but that person merely visited. They don't experience life there everyday and the positives and negatives of the size or other factors. I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on LA and what the climate is like without having experience actually living there. I think a local's opinion would matter more. The same works for here. I can't talk to you about DC or really Philly but I CAN talk to you about the New York area and if you care for a genuine opinion coming from a local who knows things, you would listen a bit more than a visitor not used to it, not living it, who says that it's too big and too intimidating. Perhaps if they moved here, with time they would adjust and change their mind then say, wow yeah, I see the cohesiveness in this way despite the size, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City