U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 29 43.28%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.97%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 34 50.75%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DE is about 8 miles from the closest border of Philadelphia, actually the closest border of MD is only about 20 miles, and just for giggles the closest border of NY (Staten Island NYC) is only 46 miles as the crow flies from Philadelphia to NYC
I know literally it's close, I meant close like this thread means cohesive. How connected is it, culturally or literally? Like I would rank NY, NJ, then CT, I would definitely rank PA, then NJ, then DE for Philly metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:36 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I can't talk to you about DC or really Philly but I CAN talk to you about the New York area and if you care for a genuine opinion coming from a local who knows things, you would listen a bit more than a visitor not used to it, not living it, who says that it's too big and too intimidating. Perhaps if they moved here, with time they would adjust and change their mind then say, wow yeah, I see the cohesiveness in this way despite the size, etc.
How familiar are you with the area around the Jesse Owens playground?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How familiar are you with the area around the Jesse Owens playground?
Not at all. You don't have to know every single area in your metro to get a feel of connectedness or transportation or cultural ties. That would be crazy, and many New Yorkers (mostly Manhattan transplants) would lose because they know jack about New Jersey and probably Long Island and just don't care.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Not at all. You don't have to know every single area in your metro to get a feel of connectedness or transportation or cultural ties. That would be crazy, and many New Yorkers (mostly Manhattan transplants) would lose because they know jack about New Jersey and probably Long Island and just don't care.
That pretty much goes to my point.

I don't think most people living in the DC metro area know "every single area" but most people know about Columbia Pike, Duke Street, the Mixing Bowl H Street, etc. Most people in the Philadelphia area, even if they live on the Jersey side, know about the Blue Route and the Bully.

The New York region is so big and atomized that someone in Jersey (you) will often have no clue about Brooklyn and vice versa. So the region is more disconnected in that sense. It shows pretty clearly, imo, when you participate in the respective forums.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:09 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,726,071 times
Quote:
I know literally it's close, I meant close like this thread means cohesive. How connected is it, culturally or literally? Like I would rank NY, NJ, then CT, I would definitely rank PA, then NJ, then DE for Philly metro.
DE is pretty "close" to Philly, too, though. Up the 202 corridor, it's contiguous development from Wilmington to West Chester, and there's a lot of movement in goods and people between the two. When I lived in West Chester, I literally would go shopping at Concord Mall in Wilmington (around 13 miles) to avoid taxes on certain items.

And culturally, Delaware was literally part of Pennsylvania starting out. William Penn planned out Dover, DE, as well as Philadelphia. Delaware is "culturally" much closer to PA than CT is to NY; we're simply less independent (not to say we're not). Delaware doesn't even have any local TV affiliates; I literally watch Philadelphia news broadcasts everyday. So while South NJ "might" be closer to PA simply because of demographics/proximity, Delaware is right there too, honestly.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That pretty much goes to my point.

I don't think most people living in the DC metro area know "every single area" but most people know about Columbia Pike, Duke Street, the Mixing Bowl H Street, etc. Most people in the Philadelphia area, even if they live on the Jersey side, know about the Blue Route and the Bully.

The New York region is so big and atomized that someone in Jersey (you) will often have no clue about Brooklyn and vice versa. So the region is more disconnected in that sense. It shows pretty clearly, imo, when you participate in the respective forums.
You really expected me to know some random park name? I don't even know the names of parks in my own county or town for that matter.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
DE is pretty "close" to Philly, too, though. Up the 202 corridor, it's contiguous development from Wilmington to West Chester, and there's a lot of movement in goods and people between the two. When I lived in West Chester, I literally would go shopping at Concord Mall in Wilmington (around 13 miles) to avoid taxes on certain items.

And culturally, Delaware was literally part of Pennsylvania starting out. William Penn planned out Dover, DE, as well as Philadelphia. Delaware is "culturally" much closer to PA than CT is to NY; we're simply less independent (not to say we're not). Delaware doesn't even have any local TV affiliates; I literally watch Philadelphia news broadcasts everyday. So while South NJ "might" be closer to PA simply because of demographics/proximity, Delaware is right there too, honestly.
Sounds about like CT then, maybe a bit more than CT but about the same.

BTW - I'm just glad you're not a Philly fan.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,997,146 times
Quote:
I was repping you and backing you up Jerseygirl, but by proclaiming yourself a Mets fan, I'm tempted to cease that. Luckily for you, my grandfather is a Mets fan and your guys' improbable run has brightened up his days, so I'll let it slide, for now.

--Yours truly, a Yankee fan

Lol, in all seriousness, I agree that the draw of NYC overcomes any unwieldiness of transit in getting there. That's why I'm arguing it's more cohesive overall. Someone from Elizabeth, NJ and Stamford, CT are unified in being in the orbit of NYC.

The DMV is more geographically seamless, but DC is less of a cultural draw, when compared to NYC. Baltimore pilfers some of that cultural cohesiveness, and isn't NOVA still in the running for a baseball team? People can point to newspaper circulations all they want (lol in 2015) but the Tri State is more culturally cohesive. Isn't DC stereotypically soulless anyway, outside of AA underground culture? Aren't VA and MD the real culture makers in that area?
So much non factual information here was spewed I don't know where to start. NOVA is not in the running with a baseball team, and DC dominates much of the entire mid-Atlantic region. It's not our fault there is a practically equally sized city proper 30+ miles north of us. Traveling from Maryland to Virginia or DC, and any combination of the three is infinitely easier than traveling Tri-State NYC. The culture around Virginia has always been considered southern while culture of DC and it's Maryland suburbs have typically had more of a mid Atlantic mix of north/south. What truly adds cohesion to the area is the Capital Beltway which is a circle that allows people to cross state/city lines with no limitations. And the Metro system that radiates outward deep into many DC suburbs on both sides of the river.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM

You could also look at how local issues are covered. If you live in Bergen County and want to read about how your local high school's football team fared, you go to the Star-Ledger rather than NYC papers.

New Jersey High School Sports - NJ.com

Long Island has Newsday.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island

In the DC area, the Washington Post covers all local issues for DC, Maryland and Virginia.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/al...rts/2015-fall/

Same thing for the Delaware Valley.

Philadelphia-area high school sports news and results at Philly.com.

That sort of gives you some sense of the type of regional cohesion among the three.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
People can point to newspaper circulations all they want (lol in 2015) but the Tri State is more culturally cohesive.
The fact that the NYC region has these media sub-markets does say something about the overall cohesiveness of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City