U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 29 43.28%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.97%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 34 50.75%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:35 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, even though you can actually see Camden from Philly and even hop on a little boat from Philly's riverfront to their riverfront.
Yeah. There was never a need to travel to South Jersey. It's one thing if you have family there but there's no reason to be out there from an amenities-standpoint if you live in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. There was never a need to travel to South Jersey. It's one thing if you have family there but there's no reason to be out there from an amenities-standpoint if you live in Philly.
Very true.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 AM

11,895 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
No reason to get upset.

It is logistically more difficult to get from New York to New Jersey than it is to get from DC to Maryland/Virginia. The traffic is bananas for starters. And the tolls are high. Getting there by public transit requires use of two separate systems. While that's far from impossible, it's a lot less convenient than navigating one unified system. That would deter a lot of people from traveling to NJ on public transit in a way that going from Metro Center in Downtown DC to Rosslyn would not.

It's true that New Yorkers go to beaches outside of NYC, but that's not exactly the same as driving from Central DC to the AMC Hoffman Theater in Alexandria after work to see a movie. That's a relatively easy trip to make in the DMV whereas a trip from Downtown Brooklyn to Jersey City (probably a shorter distance) is considerably more difficult.
What you just said is way more valid than what you said before.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,000,383 times
Quote:
No reason to get upset.

It is logistically more difficult to get from New York to New Jersey than it is to get from DC to Maryland/Virginia. The traffic is bananas for starters. And the tolls are high. Getting there by public transit requires use of two separate systems. While that's far from impossible, it's a lot less convenient than navigating one unified system. That would deter a lot of people from traveling to NJ on public transit in a way that going from Metro Center in Downtown DC to Rosslyn would not.

It's true that New Yorkers go to beaches outside of NYC, but that's not exactly the same as driving from Central DC to the AMC Hoffman Theater in Alexandria after work to see a movie. That's a relatively easy trip to make in the DMV whereas a trip from Downtown Brooklyn to Jersey City (probably a shorter distance) is considerably more difficult.
Maybe true but it's not like a reasonable DC resident is going to drive or take metro from Central DC all the way to South Alexandria to go to a movie theater either. There are plenty of other options between.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't see how it's really any different from what I said before.

Perhaps you were angered by my statement that there's really no reason to go to NJ other than flying out of EWR. I stand by that. There is no huge draw to NJ for the average New Yorker as far as routine daily living in concerned.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:44 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Quote:
Everything he said was true.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Maybe true but it's not like a reasonable DC resident is going to drive or take metro from Central DC all the way to South Alexandria to go to a movie theater either, there are plenty of other options between.
A reasonable DC resident would (I consider myself "reasonable"). You can make that trip from Central DC within 20-25 minutes (no tolls). Of course, there are theaters that are closer, but you may go to different theaters depending on the show time, IMAX, etc.

New Jersey would never even be on my radar. I'm not even sure if Fandango shows those theaters on my phone.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 AM

11,895 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
I don't see how it's really any different from what I said before.

Perhaps you were angered by my statement that there's really no reason to go to NJ other than flying out of EWR. I stand by that. There is no huge draw to NJ for the average New Yorker as far as routine daily living in concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Everything he said was true.
The daily presence of New Yorkers in New Jersey proves what he said is not true. And malls on the weekend, forget it. The beach in the summer, especially on a weekend or weekend night, forget it.

You could say it's only people from certain areas of NYC who regularly go to NJ so it doesn't count, but there are also areas of NJ which are considered a bit far from NY for a day trip. There are plenty of NJ residents who live even 20 miles away who rarely go and act like tourists. I know plenty of them. And other than work, there is no "daily draw" to NYC either. Just as its a PITA for you guys to come here, it's a PITA for us to come there. Going on a regular basis, sure, but daily? No way.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You could say it's only people from certain areas of NYC who regularly go to NJ so it doesn't count, but there are also areas of NJ which are considered a bit far from NY for a day trip. There are plenty of NJ residents who live even 20 miles away who rarely go and act like tourists. I know plenty of them. And other than work, there is no "daily draw" to NYC either. Just as its a PITA for you guys to come here, it's a PITA for us to come there. Going on a regular basis, sure, but daily? No way.
That wasn't meant in a disparaging way.

But I would say that Manhattan shopping and nightlife is a huge draw for people in Jersey. That's what I meant by it being mostly one way traffic.

That's also largely true in the DC area. But I would say the average Washingtonian ends up leaving the District far more often than the average New Yorker leaves NYC. One big reason is that many more of them have cars, which makes it easier to access amenities in outlying areas. There's also a lot less traffic during off peak hours and no tolls. Options in general also seem more spread out.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 AM

And by "routine daily basis," I simply mean trips you might take after work. This includes things like going to restaurants, picking up something you found on Craigslist, playing in a local basketball league, etc.

It's not really unthinkable to go to dinner in Old Town after work. Nobody's going to look at you like you're crazy. If you leave NYC to go to dinner in Jersey City for no reason other than to go to Jersey City, people will look at you and say "Wow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City