Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So much non factual information here was spewed I don't know where to start. NOVA is not in the running with a baseball team, and DC dominates much of the entire mid-Atlantic region. It's not our fault there is a practically equally sized city proper 30+ miles north of us. Traveling from Maryland to Virginia or DC, and any combination of the three is infinitely easier than traveling Tri-State NYC. The culture around Virginia has always been considered southern while culture of DC and it's Maryland suburbs have typically had more of a mid Atlantic mix of north/south. What truly adds cohesion to the area is the Capital Beltway which is a circle that allows people to cross state/city lines with no limitations. And the Metro system that radiates outward deep into many DC suburbs on both sides of the river.
You're right about baseball. There was talk of MLB in Northern Virginia about 11 years back, but the Nats ended up filling that void. My bad.

But I find it funny in this thread that the Tri-State Area cohesion is being downplayed due to traffic issues, yet you're boosting the Beltway of all things as an example of cohesion. Goodness, DC and its Beltway are perennially either number 1 or number 2 in gridlock issues. Outside of a lack of tolls, not a good feather in DC's cap over NYC. Concerning road traffic, let's call that a wash. The real battle is between the Metro and PATH/Metro North for the transportation cohesion argument, and imo, that's fairly close to being a wash, as well.

And Baltimore's there, enough that it yes, contributes to the DMV, but also siphons away from it, as well. I can't do anything about that either, but that's a significant feather in NYC's cap for cohesion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:51 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,628,596 times
NYC is simply at a scale that prohibits it from being "as cohesive" as DC metro. I think LA/SoCal is in the same boat. Too many people in such an urbanized yet geographically massive area (read: HUGE global cities) to be all that cohesive. Heck, even within NYC proper the boroughs themselves seem almost as autonomous as separate major cities within one urbanized metro area. Far Rockaway can seem further to Midtown Manhattan than Reston, VA may seem to DT DC, and Far Rockaway is in the same city as Midtown Manhattan! This is just my impression, at least, but since I don't live in either or have personal biases towards either in any which way (truth be told NYC >>>>> DC, but it's so huge that its own size can get in its own way, imo), I guess my opinion doesn't matter .

Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
But I find it funny in this thread that the Tri-State Area cohesion is being downplayed due to traffic issues, yet you're boosting the Beltway of all things as an example of cohesion. Goodness, DC and its Beltway are perennially either number 1 or number 2 in gridlock issues. Outside of a lack of tolls, not a good feather in DC's cap over NYC.
Trust me, going through the Holland Tunnel, regardless of the time of day, is not the same thing as going over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. It's faster for one and won't cost me any money. DC traffic is also restricted to rush hour whereas a full fledged traffic jam can pop up out of the blue on the LIE like an ex-girlfriend.

The Tri-State region simply isn't as cohesive as the DC region. This is me actually "anti-homering" here. New Jersey is psychologically "cut off" from New York in a way that Virginia isn't and this is even seen in the way media coverage typically unfolds in both regions.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
NYC is simply at a scale that prohibits it from being "as cohesive" as DC metro. I think LA/SoCal is in the same boat. Too many people in such an urbanized yet geographically massive area (read: HUGE global cities) to be all that cohesive. Heck, even within NYC proper the boroughs themselves seem almost as autonomous as separate major cities within one urbanized metro area. Far Rockaway can seem further to Midtown Manhattan than Reston, VA may seem to DT DC, and Far Rockaway is in the same city as Midtown Manhattan! This is just my impression, at least, but since I don't live in either or have personal biases towards either in any which way (truth be told NYC >>>>> DC, but it's so huge that its own size can get in its own way, imo), I guess my opinion doesn't matter .
Agreed.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Whoa. That looked difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwllzRi50UM

Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,875,513 times
The Jets, Giants, and Red Bulls all play in NJ. For years the NY Liberty did, too.

How far removed can it be?

Many times I have zoomed through the bridges and tunnels with literally no problems. My dad had surgery at NYU Langone and I was going there for days, never had a problem as long as I wasn't going at rush hour.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The fact that the NYC region has these media sub-markets does say something about the overall cohesiveness of the region.
But all of these regions have media submarkets to a certain extent. For example, you listed philly.com as covering all of the Delaware Valley for local sports. But there's noticeably not a Delaware section; that niche is filled by the News Journal, a rag based out of Wilmington. If I want to know how the Caesar Rodney Riders are doing, barring a playoff run, that's typically covered by the News Journal and other local, Delaware papers. Doesn't mean the area isn't cohesive; as I've mentioned, Delaware literally gets all of its broadcast TV affiliates (barring PBS, I think) from Philadelphia (I also get MASN and the Baltimore Fox affiliate, as well, but that's it from the DMV/Bmore up here in Smyrna. Sussex gets more from that area, I think). I can't even name a homegrown Delaware news broadcast north of the canal (Sussex might have one now). It just means that some media will specialize in certain areas more than others, especially given how massive each of these metros are.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
But all of these regions have media submarkets to a certain extent. For example, you listed philly.com as covering all of the Delaware Valley for local sports. But there's noticeably not a Delaware section; that niche is filled by the News Journal, a rag based out of Wilmington. If I want to know how the Caesar Rodney Riders are doing, barring a playoff run, that's typically covered by the News Journal and other local, Delaware papers. Doesn't mean the area isn't cohesive; as I've mentioned, Delaware literally gets all of its broadcast TV affiliates (barring PBS, I think) from Philadelphia (I also get MASN and the Baltimore Fox affiliate, as well, but that's it from the DMV/Bmore up here in Smyrna. Sussex gets more from that area, I think). I can't even name a homegrown Delaware news broadcast north of the canal (Sussex might have one now). It just means that some media will specialize in certain areas more than others, especially given how massive each of these metros are.
And that makes sense because Wilmington is 45 minutes from Philadelphia. But New Jersey is directly across a river from NYC and yet the NYC media couldn't really give two craps about covering stories there. That's what I mean by the region being somewhat balkanized. Everyone knows there are economic links, which is the case in all metro areas, but there is a separateness about New Jersey that you get that you don't really get with the DC suburbs (or South Jersey, for that matter).

Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,875,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And that makes sense because Wilmington is 45 minutes from Philadelphia. But New Jersey is directly across a river from NYC and yet the NYC media couldn't really give two craps about covering stories there. That's what I mean by the region being somewhat atomized. Everyone knows there are economic links, which is the case in all metro areas, but there is a separateness about New Jersey that you get that you don't really get with the DC suburbs (or South Jersey, for that matter).
What are you talking about? I regularly watch NBC, CBS, ABC NY and Fox 5, they're always covering NJ stories. I believe it's NBC that has certain reporters for NJ and LI, too, they call it "4 New Jersey" or "4 Long Island" or something but it's the same news broadcast that everyone in the region is seeing.

Edit: I also follow all the local New York affiliates on Facebook and Twitter and they're ALWAYS sharing NJ news. Always. Just like NJ.com will post NYC news because it's stuff NJ residents need to know.

You're flat out wrong about a lot of things here Bajan, or you're exaggerating. It's abnormal for you but knowing you you'll be relentless.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:17 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
Quote:
You're right about baseball. There was talk of MLB in Northern Virginia about 11 years back, but the Nats ended up filling that void. My bad.

But I find it funny in this thread that the Tri-State Area cohesion is being downplayed due to traffic issues, yet you're boosting the Beltway of all things as an example of cohesion. Goodness, DC and its Beltway are perennially either number 1 or number 2 in gridlock issues. Outside of a lack of tolls, not a good feather in DC's cap over NYC. Concerning road traffic, let's call that a wash. The real battle is between the Metro and PATH/Metro North for the transportation cohesion argument, and imo, that's fairly close to being a wash, as well.

And Baltimore's there, enough that it yes, contributes to the DMV, but also siphons away from it, as well. I can't do anything about that either, but that's a significant feather in NYC's cap for cohesion.
So this is what gets me, now if this were discussion about GDP, people would be steadfast arguing to say not one penny of Baltimore's MSA economy nor the people who live there have any affect on DC's metro area economy one bit. But in this thread Baltimore "contributes" and also "siphons away" parts of DC's local economy, you can't have it both ways. Truth is that it's both and probably somewhere in the middle, a separate distinct city that could survive on its on yet is heavily related to/ regionally intertwined with the DMV immediate metro. However even with all of this DC still outshines and over powers even Baltimore in this part of the country. It is the more dominant city which is why the MSA is more than twice the Baltimore MSA. DC pulls from all the way past Baltimore in York, PA for gods sake. People in Baltimore go to DC for nightlife typically not the other way around (although we have that option too). Outside of the NY metro area DC and by that I mean everything inside the Beltway, probably has the strongest draw in the NEC and probably the whole East Coast, and it is not a megacity.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-23-2015 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City