U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's urbanizing the fastest among these four?
Atlanta 10 16.67%
Los Angeles 28 46.67%
Seattle 14 23.33%
Washington DC 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:59 AM

1,078 posts, read 897,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
OMG, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever been to downtown Silver Spring or Bethesda? How about Pentagon City? I already said the samething about Rosslyn. Who is bragging about Rosslyn now? I said once they build all 10,000 housing units which is well underway, it will be very different. Also, Ballston is nothing like Rosslyn. Have you been there lately?

What is the population density in Century City? What is the employment population? How much retail is located there?
Weren't you the one who said that DC's outer nodes could rival the cores of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:01 PM

2,575 posts, read 3,337,258 times
Quote:
OMG, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever been to downtown Silver Spring or Bethesda? How about Pentagon City? I already said the samething about Rosslyn. Who is bragging about Rosslyn now? I said once they build all 10,000 housing units which is well underway, it will be very different. Also, Ballston is nothing like Rosslyn. Have you been there lately?

What is the population density in Century City? What is the employment population? How much retail is located there?
According to Wikipedia century city has about 6,000 people in 176 acres (0.28 square miles), so about 21,500 people per square mile. It has a large mall at its border so lots of retail but just in one place.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:03 PM

9,592 posts, read 10,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Weren't you the one who said that DC's outer nodes could rival the cores of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta?
And I still think they could. They are developing side by side. The cores of Houston and Dallas and Atlanta are small and filled with parking lots. They have done a lot to improve over the last 5 years but they still are very small before they give way to single family homes.

Downtown-Midtown Atlanta, for instance, is built very similar to the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. They are both changing a lot though so who knows what they will look like in the future. Both give way to single family homes after a few blocks.

Houston is covered with parking lots around their stadium. The stadium needs to be moved to the suburbs if they want their core to be urban. That is a major issue with all that parking. Dallas is the most urban of three and I would say its well ahead of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.

I think the biggest part of all of this has to do with the rules used to define core. Can single family home neighborhoods be included in the core? In my opinion, they can't. Once you get them, the core stops at that neighborhood boundary.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-26-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
According to Wikipedia century city has about 6,000 people in 176 acres (0.28 square miles), so about 21,500 people per square mile. It has a large mall at its border so lots of retail but just in one place.
Wait, are we trying to compare a .2 square mile area to the entire Rosslyn-Ballston corridor which has 10s of thousands of people? Rosslyn alone is building 10,000 units which is almost double the entire population of Century City not counting the thousands of people already living there.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:10 PM

2,575 posts, read 3,337,258 times
Quote:
Wait, are we trying to compare a .2 square mile area to the entire Rosslyn-Ballston corridor which has 10s of thousands of people? Rosslyn alone is building 10,000 units which is almost double the entire population of Century City not counting the thousands of people already living there.
I brought up century city by saying that Rosslyn reminded me of it. Then I was told how different the two are. You asked your question after that exchange.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I brought up century city by saying that Rosslyn reminded me of it. Then I was told how different the two are. You asked your question after that exchange.
Oh, ok cool.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 904,653 times
Quote:
You just proved my point. You can't build one 40 story tower and think you're building an urban downtown. You have to line both sides of every street building them side by side to create an urban street-wall. Just to educate you a little bit:

-street walls are not based on height, they're based on distance between each other and their relationship with the street.

-urban canyons are not important, street-walls are, but you would have to actually be accurate when stating what someone has said in the past to know that.

-buildings, regardless of height, must form an uninterrupted street-wall to be urban which is the same guidelines villages, towns, cities, and metropolises use all around the world.

-if the three 40 story buildings were cut down into 12 different 10 story buildings and placed next to each other, it would go along way toward being more urban. Three buildings do nothing for urban form. The height of these buildings without demand to build dozens of them is the problem.

-the D.C. suburbs build hundreds of these high-rises together creating street-walls which is why it works so well here. If you can't do that because of a lack of demand to built dozens at the same time, you're better off building smaller buildings so you can cluster them together to urbanize the entire area.
You've never been to LA. You would know Hollywood is littered with midrises all over the place. And not that bland/vanilla/quasi suburban stuff that is built around DC metro stations. It doesn't need 40 story proposals. It would be fine if everything was 10-20 stories.

It's a real neighborhood. People are gonna come regardless.

Last edited by Freddy K; 09-26-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
You just proved my point. You can't build one 40 story tower and think you're building an urban downtown. You have to line both sides of every street building them side by side to create an urban street-wall. Just to educate you a little bit:

-street walls are not based on height, they're based on distance between each other and their relationship with the street.

-urban canyons are not important, street-walls are, but you would have to actually be accurate when stating what someone has said in the past to know that.

-buildings, regardless of height, must form an uninterrupted street-wall to be urban which is the same guidelines villages, towns, cities, and metropolises use all around the world.

-if the three 40 story buildings were cut down into 12 different 10 story buildings and placed next to each other, it would go along way toward being more urban. Three buildings do nothing for urban form. The height of these buildings without demand to build dozens of them is the problem.

-the D.C. suburbs build hundreds of these high-rises together creating street-walls which is why it works so well here. If you can't do that because of a lack of demand to built dozens at the same time, you're better off building smaller buildings so you can cluster them together to urbanize the entire area.
I worked in Ballston. It's not much different than Rosslyn.

The most interesting place in Arlington (really the only one) is Clarendon. Because there's stuff to do. It's the only neighborhood that people are really out and about.

There's nada in Fairfax County. Nothing.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Are you seriously bringing up Pentagon City? Lol.

Century City has a top notch mall. It's far better retail than Pentagon City/Ballston (please).

Old 09-26-2015, 02:31 PM

You seem to equate highrises with interesting places. It's just alot of fluff.

I've lived there. I've been all the areas you named. They get old, real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or