Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

I like Philly fine, but its not as international as its Northeastern peers. Boston, DC, and NYC all have a much larger international draw. That takes away from Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
What is it with Philly posters? Literally every thread - Philly doesn't perform as well as a wide range of other cities and a whole host of Philly posters start chirping "it makes no sense that Philly isn't up there, I mean look at Philly! It's the greatest! I just can't believe that all these people aren't obsessed with it!"

Honestly, what would cause foreign tourists to ditch their visit to NYC, DC, or even Boston to come to Philly? They have limited time and money and must pick 1-2 places in the US. That means they are also throwing cities like SF, LA, Chicago, and Miami into their pool. Heck, Orlando, Honolulu, and Las Vegas too. Of this wide range of American cities truly worth visiting, what does Philly offer that one or some of these do not? Arguably it's not even a top 3 art city in the US, and foreigners aren't coming to the US for art, though they'll see some while they're here. The whole package it offers is certainly not competitive with that of other cities when it comes to things tourists/visitors want to see and do. It has well documented higher crime, and a core/downtown that is still well documented to be in "comeback". It's not nearly as photogenic as some other cities - like NYC, Miami, and SF waterfronts are some of the biggest postcard opportunities this world over.

No amount of Democratic National Conventions or soft pretzels and cheesesteaks or NAACP events or Forbes' 30 Under 30 events new convention center labor rules will change foreign perception or lack thereof of Philly.
There's a lot of truth in this post.
If a foreign tourist is coming to America to experience a city, they are going to go to NYC primarily and secondarily Chicago. If they are coming for history and government, I'd suppose that they are going to DC or Boston. If they are coming from Asia, I'd suppose that SF and LA are high up on their list of destinations for business, pleasure and connecting with family. If it's for fun in the Sun, they go to LA, Miami, Honolulu and Orlando. If they are coming to bargain shop, they are often combining it with a family trip to Florida, especially Orlando.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
In reading my post from earlier...it does read rather crass. I should take back some of the language. As an American who knows better, I would rather visit Philly than Boston, but DC is a toss up...probably NYC then DC #2 on E Coast for me, with respect to what matters to me. But as a foreigner, I'd suspect that Philly may not even be on the radar at all.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
What is it with Philly posters?Literally every thread-......
What is it with your obsession with what Philly posters do or don't say? Literally every thread -a Philly poster responds to you immediately respond confrontationally to the Philly poster.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I go to ASCO every year, I believe it draws about 15K Int'l attendees and about 25K US attendees
I was going to mention you. Yep it attracts a LOT of people. Where are most of the international attendees from in your estimation? All around...? I've met a handful from Europe and Asia before.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I wonder what percentage of those amounts are spent at Apple Stores?
There's usually a line of foreign tourists outside the Apple Store in Miami Beach each morning before they open. I'm surprised the Apple Store isn't an offered excursion from the cruise ships at the port of Miami.
Hmmm, never thought of that. But I will say once I saw a thread somewhere on another site that pictorially documented the Apple stores around the world and in the US, and the apple stores globally, such as in London, Paris, Sydney, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc are generally much larger and much awesomer than the Apple stores in the states. The ones in Shanghai and in NYC upper 5th Ave by Central Park are my two favorite. Apple is building a big 3 story new flagship in Union Square in SF...which makes a whole lot of sense given that it's an SF brand and the store currently in Union Square is meh, but Norman Foster's new design for the Apple store Union Square will probably still not be my favorite, though I wonder if it will be marvelous enough to be the draw you're referring to.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I was going to mention you. Yep it attracts a LOT of people. Where are most of the international attendees from in your estimation? All around...? I've met a handful from Europe and Asia before.

mostly Europe followed by Japan

Old 09-25-2015, 12:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
4 things:

1) Cancun is mostly American and Canadian visitors. I wouldn't call it a truly international/global beach vacation and party destination like Miami is.

2) Canadian cities do benefit some from having ~320 million US residents immediately south, and residents of the US do visit the Canadian cities. The flip is not so much as true considering there are only ~35 million Canadians and a wider range of US cities for them to visit. Not sure if or to what extent "international" visitation numbers to some of the Canadian cities are skewed simply by people from the US hopping up for a visit (Montreal is a relatively quick drive from Boston, Vancouver is right near Seattle, and Toronto is a couple hours from Buffalo, for instance...flights obviously cheap and frequent from most major 1-2 million+ US cities to these 3 Canadian cities).

3) Honestly surprised that Vancouver gets that much more visitation than Montreal (or frankly that it gets more visitation than San Francisco, no offense to Vancouver...but I do think it has to be skewed by US visitation, if even just for ski trips to Whistler, which by itself receives over 2.5 million visitors a year split between Summer and Winter, many of those being US residents flying into Vancouver and staying an extra night or three in that city).

How much more is there to do in Vancouver than Montreal?!?

4) Just a tidbit about SF - the largest country-provider of international tourists is the UK, but that is expected to change in the next few years since projections for Chinese visitation are soaring, despite their economy. This statistic may surprise some. Neither Canada nor Mexico are top 2, and an Asian country is currently not #1, but rather a European country is.
have you been there lately, its now loaded with Europeans and actually a growing group of Japanese; this year I could not believe the change in the numbers of English, Italian and German vacationers from years ago Cancun is exploding with europeans and Japanese to lessor extent

Old 09-25-2015, 12:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Heavy concentration in "nodes." This is where in the city people (locals or tourists; maybe both) are taking pictures of the cityscape and other things in the city most often and then putting it on various social media.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:05 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Something not right on the original list. Orlando had 4.1 million International visitors(don't see it in the list).

Also, had more than 62 mil total visitors.. by far the most in the US.

Orlando Press & Media | Visit Orlando News & Information

Orlando tourism visitor count a record for third year - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City