Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times

Advertisements

Well florida I think is the loser of the three. Outside of Miami Florida does not have that HUGE of a hispanic presence. Florida is only 22 percent hispanic and if you took miami out of the mix I would venture to say that number would go down to 9 or 10 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 03:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What's with all this mecca talk lately. Seems to me the goal should be to prosper anywhere with a great economy. Moving somewhere just because a bunch of black people or Hispanic people live there seems ridiculous.
A robust cultural infrastructure for one's racial/ethnic group matters a great deal to some people. If you're White, it's not something you really have to think about since White folks are everywhere in America.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
NYS as a whole is hardly Latin (both visibly and culturally) when compared to CA & TX as a whole. Between those two, I'd go with CA.
But who cares about NYS, honestly? NYC, which is in NYS btw, is really what we're discussing here. And in that regard, NYC (to include NNJ and the rest of the metro) has far more variety and numbers of Latinos in a concentrated area than California, Texas or Florida.

Does Texas have a lot of Cubans? NYC does. Does Florida really have Mexicans? NYC does. Does California have many Dominicans? NYC does. None of the other meccas are as well rounded as NYC in having significant Latino populations from around the globe. The other metros have way more token populations (Cubans in LA, for example) than NYC. NYC has at least 100,000 of the major Latino groups, and significant representation of less "popular" ones (Ecuadorians, for example).

Old 09-25-2015, 04:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
Okay cool but California and Texas are huge areas (compared to NYC) with many parts both visibly and culturally Latin (true, mainly Mexican, which is Latin btw). I'm not debating that NYC has great diversity among its Latin population. I'm talking about something else entirely, and I believe the thread is as well, especially if you read the OP/criteria.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Okay cool but California and Texas are huge areas (compared to NYC) with many parts both visibly and culturally Latin (true, mainly Mexican, which is Latin btw). I'm not debating that NYC has great diversity among its Latin population. I'm talking about something else entirely, and I believe the thread is as well, especially if you read the OP/criteria.
OP asked for a Latino mecca, not a Mexican one or a Cuban one. NYC's Latino diversity is incredibly relevant, in this regard, don't ya think?

Furthermore, based on the criteria he specified, NY is very competitive, if not the outright winner in many. Latino events, trends, nightlife, etc., NY is right there.

Lastly, your claim that NY isn't visibly or culturally Latin when compared to CA and TX is ridiculous. CA and TX might be more "diffused" in their Latino spread, but I don't see that as any better than a more concentrated Latino presence in the most important metro in the state (arguably the world). So there's more Mexicans in Fresno than Puerto Ricans in Buffalo? Awesome. Not really an advantage, honestly.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well florida I think is the loser of the three. Outside of Miami Florida does not have that HUGE of a hispanic presence. Florida is only 22 percent hispanic and if you took miami out of the mix I would venture to say that number would go down to 9 or 10 percent.
Orlando and Tampa also have large Latino populations. Frankly, besides New York, I think Florida is the clear winner here--maybe even ahead of it, due to weather and location. The only thing really holding Florida back is its small Mexican population, but even that's changing. I just don't see how California and Texas, as big and populous as they are, can be considered Latino meccas when they're essentially Mexican states, with some other Central American groups. Mexican meccas, sure, but overall Latino meccas? I don't see it over NY and FL.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Orlando and Tampa also have large Latino populations. Frankly, besides New York, I think Florida is the clear winner here--maybe even ahead of it, due to weather and location. The only thing really holding Florida back is its small Mexican population, but even that's changing. I just don't see how California and Texas, as big and populous as they are, can be considered Latino meccas when they're essentially Mexican states, with some other Central American groups. Mexican meccas, sure, but overall Latino meccas? I don't see it over NY and FL.
So having a smaller Caribbean Latino population holds Texas and California back, but having a smaller Mexican population doesn't hold back Florida? How is that?

And New York is a mecca for everyone. Bringing it up in this discussion (about CA TX & FL) is completely redundant.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So having a smaller Caribbean Latino population holds Texas and California back, but having a smaller Mexican population doesn't hold back Florida? How is that?
Florida is still a lot more Mexican than California and Texas are Cuban/Puerto Rican/Dominican. In California and Texas, the Latino population is essentially overwhelmingly Mexican, with some minority Central American communities. South American/Caribbean populations are negligible in both.

Contrast this with Florida, which is predominately Cuban/Puerto Rican, but has a significant Mexican population (650,000) that is rapidly growing. Florida also has minority populations of South American Latinos on par with California and Texas' Central American communities, but higher 'token' totals (Central Americans, in Florida's case) compared to them. Bottom line, Florida's minority Latino populations are more numerous and visible than California and Texas' in comparison, and this makes a difference when we're talking overall Latino mecca.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

And New York is a mecca for everyone. Bringing it up in this discussion (about CA TX & FL) is completely redundant.
Well, if OP is asking for a Latino mecca, but fails to include a very solid contender for number one without any explanation, bringing it up in the discussion is completely relevant. To ignore it would be odd. That would be like a thread about cities with good public transportation that completely ignores Chicago for no rhyme or reason, and gives no qualifier or explanation for its exclusion.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
To be fair, the Hispanic population in Texas is over 10 million and about 7 million of that is Mexican. The other three million are from somewhere else. That's pretty large IMO. Texas does not have many Caribbean Hispanics. But they do have many from South and Central America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City