Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:20 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times

Advertisements

Of course New York is brought up when the OP was specifically talking about California, Texas, and Florida.

To answer the actual question, I'd say California or Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 06:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Of course New York is brought up when the OP was specifically talking about California, Texas, and Florida.

To answer the actual question, I'd say California or Texas.
Lol, would you have a thread about smoggiest cities and not mention Los Angeles? It would be one thing if OP specified not to include New York for some reason, but there's no mention. So on that ground, yea, it's very valid to bring up New York, since we are talking about which state is the "Latino Mecca".

Old 09-26-2015, 06:59 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
I think new york wins in the Afro-Latino category(Dominicans and a large amount of puerto Ricans).

Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
People are overthinking it. Hispanics in America are just like regular Americans. They are past having to cloister themselves in segregated communities. They will choose what state is best for them just like everyone else, whether that be CA, TX, FL or anywhere else.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
People are overthinking it. Hispanics in America are just like regular Americans. They are past having to cloister themselves in segregated communities. They will choose what state is best for them just like everyone else, whether that be CA, TX, FL or anywhere else.
Haha, no, not even close. If anything, Latinos tend to be among the most insular of groups, right up there with Asians. For first generation, the language barrier is very real. Having to learn English takes time and affects things like employment, residency, etc. Latino enclaves provide a stepping stone for many.

Beyond just the newly arrived and the English deal, there's just being around Latino culture and people in general. When I lived in Montgomery, Alabama, my girlfriend (I'm Dominican) hated that Atlanta, 3 hours away, was really the only place to dance salsa or bachata among other Latinos--to say nothing of getting her nails and hair done. Yea, Latinos will go where the money is, sure, but you're lying to yourself if North Dakota is as enjoyable as Houston is for a Mexican, or even Honolulu versus Miami for a Cuban.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
...apparently people love establishing unofficial "meccas" for stuff

Old 09-26-2015, 07:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, Latinos will go where the money is, sure, but you're lying to yourself if North Dakota is as enjoyable as Houston is for a Mexican, or even Honolulu versus Miami for a Cuban.
So what makes Latinos then different than anyone else in the US? Latinos will go where the money is just like everyone else. My point is that Latinos in the US no longer have the need to cloister into segregated ghettos. And I stand by that point. If they want to choose Houston, it's not for different reasons than a white person would choose Houston.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
So what makes Latinos then different than anyone else in the US? Latinos will go where the money is just like everyone else. My point is that Latinos in the US no longer have the need to cloister into segregated ghettos. And I stand by that point. If they want to choose Houston, it's not for different reasons than a white person would choose Houston.
No need to inject your personal gripes to ruin an otherwise reasonable statement.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2015 at 04:48 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
No need to inject your personal gripes to ruin an otherwise reasonable statement.
Yea he went to far

Report him

Old 09-26-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
No, for many, they literally still do have the need to stay in Latino communities, especially those brand new to the country and/or without language skills and/or without citizenship. If you want to debate politics, fine, but that's reality.

Beyond that, even now in, ahem, 2015, there's still a lot of anti-Latino sentiment and bias (i.e. the rise of Donald Trump). Latino communities (your segregated ghettoes) provide support and sanctuary that is not to be had in many parts of this country, especially if you're an "ethnic" looking Latino.

For those Latinos who are in better situations or are Americanized, than sure, I guess you could argue that wanting to be around other Latinos for little things like work, play, marriage, having a family, etc. is merely a "want", not a need. But I'm telling you, if there were two equivalent jobs offered, one in a No Man's Land and one in a Latino mecca, the mecca is going to win out nine times out of ten.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2015 at 04:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City