Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
It's funny, the Hispanic population in the US is so diverse depending on the region. I hate when people just lump all Hispanic people in one box. My personal Afro-Latino mecca is NYC but Miami I think is the true Hispanic mecca at large. I wana say LA but it truly is just a Mexican city, not really a diverse hispanic city. Back to my point on how diverse the Hispanic community s depending on region, it's funny cuz my mom's best friend is Mexican and married a black guy. Her kids are part black part mexican and they now live in NYC area and EVERYONE thinks that they are either puerto rican or Dominican and are almost dumfounded when they say they are mexican.
Part of the issue is that most Americans who do not have any ties to the Hispanic/Latino community think they all hail & look like they are from Mexico or are "Mexican/ Mestizo" looking with brown skin and then are shocked when a lot of Hispanics are white ala Marco Rubio / Ted Cruz / Sofia Vergara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 05:42 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Part of the issue is that most Americans who do not have any ties to the Hispanic/Latino community think they all hail & look like they are from Mexico or are "Mexican/ Mestizo" looking with brown skin and then are shocked when a lot of Hispanics are white ala Marco Rubio / Ted Cruz / Sofia Vergara.
...or black, ala Roberto Clemente, Celia Cruz, Zoe Saldana, Victor Cruz, etc.

There are even Asian and Middle Eastern Latinos who were born and raised in Latin American countries and who usually only speak Spanish. I met plenty of them when I lived in Central America. One of the former presidents of Peru was a Japanese Peruvian named "Alberto Fujimori."

But let the mainstream US media tell it, all Latinos are olive skinned with straight dark hair and look or are Mexican or at least Mestizo. And the funny thing is when you watch Latin American TV and media, they usually pick the whitest looking actors and performers they can find. For instance, you pretty much NEVER see any Afro-Latinos on novelas, Spanish game shows, etc., and if you happen to see a Mestizo looking Latino(a), they're usually playing something stereotypical and demeaning, like a maid or a henchman.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:59 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

There are even Asian and Middle Eastern Latinos who were born and raised in Latin American countries and who usually only speak Spanish. I met plenty of them when I lived in Central America. One of the former presidents of Peru was a Japanese Peruvian named "Alberto Fujimori."

But let the mainstream US media tell it, all Latinos are olive skinned with straight dark hair and look or are Mexican or at least Mestizo.And the funny thing is when you watch Latin American TV and media, they usually pick the whitest looking actors and performers they can find. For instance, you pretty much NEVER see any Afro-Latinos on novelas, Spanish game shows, etc., and if you happen to see a Mestizo looking Latino(a), they're usually playing something stereotypical and demeaning, like a maid or a henchman.
This is so true because if you ever watch "Telenovelas" aka "Soap Operas" on Latin American TV they all look like Marco Rubio's relatives!
As for "Fujimori" ? Yes there are Hispanics who are also Asians as in Peru & Chile as well. The American public, unless they live in a major metro with Hispanics don't realize how diverse the population is.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

But let the mainstream US media tell it, all Latinos are olive skinned with straight dark hair and look or are Mexican or at least Mestizo. And the funny thing is when you watch Latin American TV and media, they usually pick the whitest looking actors and performers they can find. For instance, you pretty much NEVER see any Afro-Latinos on novelas, Spanish game shows, etc., and if you happen to see a Mestizo looking Latino(a), they're usually playing something stereotypical and demeaning, like a maid or a henchman.
Quote:
This is so true because if you ever watch "Telenovelas" aka "Soap Operas" on Latin American TV they all look like Marco Rubio's relatives!
As for "Fujimori" ? Yes there are Hispanics who are also Asians as in Peru & Chile as well. The American public, unless they live in a major metro with Hispanics don't realize how diverse the population is.
This is very true, though it is getting better. "Celia" on Telemundo (about the Afro-Latina legend) features an Afro-Latina (Puerto Rican singer Jeimy Osorio) in the lead role, and notable dark skinned actors/actresses in supporting roles. My grandparents are hooked, and apparently they're not the only ones:

Premiere of Telemundo's "Celia" reaches over 2.3 million - Media Moves

Quote:
Locally, the premiere ranked as the #1 program in its time period, regardless of language in Miami, among total viewers and adults 18-49, and also ranked as the #1 Spanish-language program in its time period, among total viewers and adults 18-49 in New York. - See more at: Premiere of Telemundo's "Celia" reaches over 2.3 million - Media Moves

Last edited by qworldorder; 12-16-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Some more information about "Celia" and Telemundo's diversity initiative:

“While Univision addresses an audience that’s mostly Spanish language-dependent and — perhaps most important — overwhelmingly Mexican, Telemundo seems to have its cross hairs on a more assimilated, mostly bilingual and strikingly diverse audience. Most importantly, Telemundo has dramatically altered the usual set of all-Caucasian characters by including Latin American blacks in the recent series about the life of the late Cuban singer Celia Cruz. These new approaches have helped push Telemundo forward in the ratings.”

Read more here: Telemundo: revitalized and stronger than ever | Miami Herald

Telemundo: revitalized and stronger than ever | Miami Herald

Old 12-16-2015, 09:15 AM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
Well, just a cursory flip through the channels on my television tells me that English-speaking television isn't that different. There is some representation of different races on TV series, among news anchors, and so on, but it is overwhelmingly Anglo. So the issue is not specific to Telemundo. It should be fixed in both places. A couple of years ago I used to buy vegetables from a Latino market in Florida. The main saleslady was a woman of obvious Asian descent who spoke perfect, native-level Spanish.

There are a lot of cultures, countries, and races represented in the Latin community. A lot of different histories. I know that in the Andes region of South America, with which I am most familiar, people can be puzzled or even offended by Americans assuming Mexican cultural norms, for example, that "Latin" food is spicy, i.e., Mexican food. Ecuadorians don't eat like that, never have, and probably never will. A "quesadilla" in Ecuador is a sweet pastry, a "tortilla" could be a meat patty or anything similarly shaped cooked on a grill (corn and flour tortillas are virtually unknown, maybe available in a specialty restaurant), and so on, ad infinitum. The history of Spanish colonization is different, the ethnic groups are different, everything. There is an Afro-American community there, in Esmeraldas, that is rooted in a shipful of slaves that shipwrecked, made it to shore, and recreated their African community without being forced to work on plantations. There are indigenous groups that are still not contacted, and many Spanish speakers (millions) who speak Quechua or another language as their first language. I've seen members of these groups getting off the plane in Miami with a bundle of artesanal sweaters to sell. What does somebody like that have in common with lawyer from Mexico City apart from language? A few things, surely, but they're not two peas in a pod, as the term "Latin Community" makes us think.

English-speaking countries include U.S., England, Ireland, India, Guyana, and Jamaica. I know that I would think it was a little weird if somebody was familiar with life in a small village in Guyana, for example, and assumed that Americans had the same food and cultural norms, just because English is spoken in both places.

So yeah, I'd like to see different faces and places on TV, in meaningful roles.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
This is true, but to be fair, I'm an African-American living in Texas and when a lot of Mexicans/Mestizos hear me speaking fluent Spanish, the first thing a lot of them ask me is if I'm "Blaxican"/part Mexican or from Mexico. Depending on what mood I'm in, I sometimes ask them how many Black Mexicans they know or have seen before, and that usually evokes a chuckle or sheepish grin from them, as if to say, "Yeah, silly question, I guess." Other than that, though, the more educated or more knowledgeable ones will at least ask me if I'm from one of the Caribbean Spanish speaking countries with large black populations (Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, or Cuba).

Last edited by NoClueWho; 12-16-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Some more information about "Celia" and Telemundo's diversity initiative:

“While Univision addresses an audience that’s mostly Spanish language-dependent and — perhaps most important — overwhelmingly Mexican, Telemundo seems to have its cross hairs on a more assimilated, mostly bilingual and strikingly diverse audience. Most importantly, Telemundo has dramatically altered the usual set of all-Caucasian characters by including Latin American blacks in the recent series about the life of the late Cuban singer Celia Cruz. These new approaches have helped push Telemundo forward in the ratings.”

Read more here: Telemundo: revitalized and stronger than ever | Miami Herald

Telemundo: revitalized and stronger than ever | Miami Herald
This is interesting. I have seen the show a couple of times casually scrolling through the channel guide and wondered if it was a show about Celia Cruz. They pretty much HAVE to cast an Afro-Latina for that role and have no other choice. I will have to check out a few minutes of it one day.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:38 AM

290 posts, read 569,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It depends on the type of Hispanics.

For Mexicans: LA, Houston, Chicago, Dallas, San Diego, and the San Francisco Bay area are tops.

For Salvadorans: LA, Washington DC, New York, Houston, the San Francisco Bay area, and Dallas are tops.

For non-Mexican Central Americans as a whole: Miami, New York, Houston, and Los Angeles are tops.

For Dominicans: New York is tops.

For Puerto Ricans: New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, and Miami are tops.

For Cubans: Miami is tops.

For South Americans as a whole: Miami and New York are tops.

For Venezuelans: Miami, Houston, and New York are tops.

For Colombians: Miami, New York, Houston, and Orlando are tops.

For Ecuadorians: Miami, New York, and Chicago are tops.

In sumary, it just depends on the type of Hispanic youre talking about to rate it. Overall, I would say California is probably the number one. Texas and Florida would be number two and three. NYC would be four and Chicago would be five.
He said what State, not what city! You just went on a pointless rant

Last edited by goonzy; 12-17-2015 at 04:51 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 04:49 AM

290 posts, read 569,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
OP asked for a Latino mecca, not a Mexican one or a Cuban one. NYC's Latino diversity is incredibly relevant, in this regard, don't ya think?

Furthermore, based on the criteria he specified, NY is very competitive, if not the outright winner in many. Latino events, trends, nightlife, etc., NY is right there.

Lastly, your claim that NY isn't visibly or culturally Latin when compared to CA and TX is ridiculous. CA and TX might be more "diffused" in their Latino spread, but I don't see that as any better than a more concentrated Latino presence in the most important metro in the state (arguably the world). So there's more Mexicans in Fresno than Puerto Ricans in Buffalo? Awesome. Not really an advantage, honestly.
New Yorkers are so full of themselves to the point of just flat out denying reality,hahaha.
Your telling me that Los Angeles a city and California a state founded by Spain, then a part of Mexico, your saying is less hispanic then a dutch city turned English. Come on man don't make me laugh. California shares a border with Mexico and new York with Canada hahaha. You wish you yankees were Latin hahaha. California has a majority hispanic population, what's new yorks?16%? Hahaha pathetic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City