U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 6,901 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know. Right off the bat they seem to be very different cities, but IMO they're quite alike for what i'm looking at. Mid 20s single guy.

I'm looking at IT jobs
(Chattanooga - "The Gig", fastest internet, lots of startups)
(CO Springs - Tons of government contracting jobs and military contracting jobs)
(Salt Lake City - Lots of internet jobs, gov jobs, contractor jobs, private jobs, etc.)

I'm also looking at outdoor lifestyles. Camping, hiking, swimming, overlanding, biking..
Chat has the AT closeby, the Cumberland Plateau, Smokies, WNC etc.
CO Springs has the rockies right there
SLC has the Unitas and Wasatch ranges

History
Chatt has tons of civil war battlefield history, lots of old buildings and industry, old farm roads, etc
CO Springs has the pioneer history with mining and gold rush stuff, and some amazing natural parks
SLC has the history of..... mormonism?

Nightlife not really concerned with, other than breweries? I like breweries and all three seem to have a brewing industry. Singles scene?

So far as visited, I visited Chattanooga and I liked it, but SLC and CO Springs would be harder to visit. I like the ideas of both. I just don't know which one I really like better! The wages seem higher in SLC and CO Springs seem much higher, but the cost of living is higher too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 05:46 PM

587 posts, read 617,614 times
Salt Lake City also has eight ski resorts within an hour drive. The Wasatch Mountains offers world class skiing and snowboarding, as well as snowmobiling, hiking, and biking. The area also offers camping and fishing. It is also a short drive away to several national parks.

Salt Lake City - 8 Ski Resorts Within an Hour's Drive

Google Fiber is already in Provo and is coming to Salt Lake City soon. The Wasatch Front area also has old mining towns. Park City is known today as a ski town but it started as an old mining town. There is a lot of mining too in the Oquirrh Mountains, the one to the west of SL valley, although I don't know of any mining towns. Kennecott copper mine is more like an enormous hole.

Salt Lake also has a lot of startups. This list is two years old but gives an idea of some of the best cities for high tech startups. SL is number 7.

Hottest Startup Cities - Business Insider

All this being said, it seems from your original post that your heart is in Chattanooga. Is there something holding you back from committing to it?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:57 PM

985 posts, read 830,719 times
Salt Lake City is the cleanest city I've ever been to, and also probably had the nicest strangers I've encountered. Colorado Springs is the most beautiful place I've ever been, but all three locales are gorgeous. I don't know if you can make a bad choice here; all three options will make you happy.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:54 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,394,807 times
I'm from CO Springs, so I'll chime in here. It's the best for hiking, camping, overlanding, biking... Swimming is a no go though. Not many pools and reservoirs are dangerous and really cold. There's hardly any open water here.

As far as history, the town of CO Springs is alright. Most of the mining stuff is in the mountains around. There's some historic parts to downtown and Manitou and old Colorado City, but then the rest is pretty much suburbia. It's kinda like San Antonio for history. Lots of breweries though. The whole state is full of them.

Skiing/winter sports isn't as good as SLC. Everything is 2.5 hours away and most all are on the I-70 corridor, which means forget even trying to go on a weekend because of traffic.

CO Springs is pretty if you like big wide views and mountains (best view of mountains I've seen in a major city), but it can get rather brown at times and the winters are longer than you think they should be. The town itself isn't either pretty or ugly. Downtown is rather small for a city it's size. Mostly bars. Look at pics of Eastern CO on google. CO Springs is on the junction of this and the mountains.

It's reasonably affordable as far as housing and COL, unlike Denver which is just god-awful.

Jobs are tight though. IT is the one field that is alright, the rest is crap. Everyone at the career fairs at college wants computer science degrees. I'm going to have to move because the population keeps growing and the # of jobs doesn't grow with it. IF you can land an IT security job here, then you should be good, but it's all defense contracting and you might have to have prior military experience.

Singles scene is awful if your into females. M:F ratio is pretty bad with all the military presence. Most of my college classes are male dominated and it seems like every lady is either already married or in a relationship. It's not like there aren't pretty single ladies, it's just that there are like 4 guys looking for a single lady for each lady looking for a guy.

Last edited by Phil P; 09-26-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM

My reservations for Chattanooga mainly lie on jobs. I have a very niche job right now that I'm very good at, and could make very good money in slc, CO Springs. That job doesn't exist in Chattanooga and i would be taking a responsibilities decrease and lose out on upward promotions by staying in the city. It's a trade off I've considered but I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

Trying to gauge if the off work amenities of slc and Co Springs compare to the up and coming/outdoorsy town vibe of chatt. And if it's worth the detour for more money and a better job.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,394,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakan290 View Post
My reservations for Chattanooga mainly lie on jobs. I have a very niche job right now that I'm very good at, and could make very good money in slc, CO Springs. That job doesn't exist in Chattanooga and i would be taking a responsibilities decrease and lose out on upward promotions by staying in the city. It's a trade off I've considered but I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

Trying to gauge if the off work amenities of slc and Co Springs compare to the up and coming/outdoorsy town vibe of chatt. And if it's worth the detour for more money and a better job.
So you could get a job in CO Springs in your current field easily? If so, the Springs starts to look more attractive.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,712,685 times
This has been a pleasant change from so many threads here. Each poster has been on point and simply nice to others. Consequently, I've given all of you a rep point.

I have to vote for Salt Lake City of the choices given. The reasons have already been documented.

To the OP, is there no way you could visit SLC and Co Springs over a long weekend and cheaper flights? Frontier use to have many gates in the Springs and SLC. Ultimately, it's your life and happiness. What can appear the same, or close, on paper may feel different in person. Most I know just know when they are *home*.

Good luck making your decision. It sounds like you have options and that is a desirable spot in 2015.

MSR

Old 09-29-2015, 07:54 AM

Yes, getting a job in CO Springs or slc would be much easier than a job in Chattanooga. Seems like most people are saying slc, I'll see if I can scrounge up enough for a cheap flight over a long weekend...

Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,976,827 times
I've lived in both SLC and COS (but not Chattanooga). Phil P has very succinctly outlined the attributes and the challenges of life in the Springs. The job situation here is a challenge, for all intents this is still a military town and with a service-based economy. IT has had its booms and busts here. Although I love this area, SLC would be my recommendation considering your age and career path. Again, can't speak for Chattanooga. Best wishes.

Last edited by Kar54; 09-29-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 AM

5,419 posts, read 8,201,788 times
Could you find a job in your field in Knoxville, Nashville, or Atlanta? Those could be options if you like the vegetation/ recreation of the Southeast. Include Oak Ridge TN in your search as it has techie jobs not found elsewhere in the region. Possibly Huntsville AL though it is a bit farther from the Smoky mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or