U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,505,487 times

Advertisements

Both are great cities and it sucks when one specific poster is so off base that it causes an over correction from other people where they now have to (very mildly) speak negatively about the other city to rebalance things.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,969 times
Here we go again.... it becomes a city vs. city tit for tat thread.... but guess I can be guilty too...

Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 PM

75 posts, read 63,799 times
Chicago is a lovely city, don't get me wrong, but when pitted against San Francisco with it's iconic landmarks and architecture, mild weather, breathtaking natural scenery, etc., it just can't compete.

I tend to weigh lifestyle factors (e.g., weather, scenery, local culture, nearby travel destinations, etc.) very heavily, so for me personally, San Francisco will always, always come out on top of any Midwestern city, even Chicago.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 AM

373 posts, read 243,590 times
I think San Francisco is a very nice place. However there are No blacks in San Fran. I saw one black person during the whole day, ONE. Talk about feeling alone.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 AM

27 posts, read 33,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
I think San Francisco is a very nice place. However there are No blacks in San Fran. I saw one black person during the whole day, ONE. Talk about feeling alone.
There is no such thing as a black man in San Francisco

~ Mark Twain

Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,505,487 times
loool

Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,933,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Chicago is a lovely city, don't get me wrong, but when pitted against San Francisco with it's iconic landmarks and architecture, mild weather, breathtaking natural scenery, etc., it just can't compete.
The "architecture" part of your statement sounds like you don't know much of anything about Chicago. And while I agree that the Bay Area has better natural scenery, the lakefront of Chicago is actually very beautiful. I was entertaining some visitors from Paris and Italy this weekend who couldn't stop talking about how nice the lakefront was in Chicago.

Yeah, SF has the Golden Gate Bridge - but at the end of the day, most people could care less about being in a city with iconic structures. Architecture is another story - and Chicago just like SF has tons of great architecture. Thinking that Chicago somehow doesn't have great architecture in a lot of places is kind of ignorant, which by the way - perfect timing. The Architecture Bienniel with architects and firms/studios from all around the world starts this week in Chicago (Inaugural Chicago Architecture Biennial Reveals Official List of 2015 Participants | ArchDaily) until the beginning of 2016.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-30-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 04:44 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,471,571 times
Quote:

I tend to weigh lifestyle factors (e.g., weather, scenery, local culture, nearby travel destinations, etc.) very heavily, so for me personally, San Francisco will always, always come out on top of any Midwestern city, even Chicago.
San Fran does boast milder weather and gorgeous natural scenery, true. But if you think Chicago doesnt boast good architecture, youre sorely mistaken. It usually ranks as the best city to view architecture, more so than San Fran.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,423,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
It depends what the starting point is. If it's 25% more than lets say, $50,000 (base), definitely not. If it's 25% more than $200,000 (base): you have to be absolutely horrible with your money to not take that. I don't care what city it is, if you can't survive on $250,000/year, you're an idiot.
While that is a valid point, I'm not thinking just in terms of not going broke.

$250,000 is going to allow you to live comfortably in San Francisco, but $200,000 will still probably allow you to live more comfortably in Chicago.

Yes, you are going to be pretty high income in either place, but Chicago is still a better value.

I would think that would continue for household incomes up to a certain point, higher than $200-$250,000.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,423,209 times
Quote:

I can agree that the weather is typically much better in San Francisco. And I think that scenery and "travel destinations" is going to be pretty subjective, so I don't want to get into a debate about it.

I don't really know what you mean by "local culture," though. Could you clarify?

In my understanding of "local culture," San Francisco is not universally understood as "ahead" of Chicago, which is how I understood your argument...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or