U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This diatribe has nothing to do with what Im referring to.
My comment was about the GDP during and post recession.

Furthermore, I will say whatever the hell I want to say about any city whenever I want, and you are free to do the same.
GaWC - Globalization and World Cities

CHICAGO STILL DOES WELL IN FINANCIAL SECTORS.
The GAWC ranking of absolute financial
centers divided the industry into sub
sectors:
Financial Services, Top 5 Cities
1 New York
2 London
3 Chicago
4 San Francisco
5 Sydney

Banking, Top 5 Cities
1 New York
2 Chicago
3 Boston
4 Washington DC
5 London

Investment Banking, Top 5 Cities
1 New York
2 London
3 San Francisco
4 Chicago
5 Paris

Investment Management, Top 5 Cities
1 New York
2 London
3 San Francisco
4 Chicago
5 Boston

Capital Markets, Top 5 Cities
1 New York
2 London
3 Chicago
4 Mumbai
5 Toronto

A.T. Kearney Global Cities 2015 Identifies 16 Elite Cities Based on Their Current... -- CHICAGO, May 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Global Cities Index, 2015:
01. New York
06. Los Angeles
07. Chicago
10. Washington, D.C.
13. Toronto
22. San Francisco
23. Boston
24. Montréal

Chicago #9 in the WORLD Global Economy. Above DC, Toronto and Boston. Just edges out by SF.
Climbing 3 places from last year passing Boston.
The 20 best cities for global finance GFCI index - Business Insider

Chicago. Has the "WORLD'S LARGEST [exchange-traded] derivatives market" when the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade merged in 2007, under the CME Group.

Chicago's DIVERSIFIED ECONOMY. with NO one Industry is Key to the City's overall Success. No more then 14% employed in one Industry.
The World
based on Overall Economic Clout, Financial Power, Global Competitiveness, and Equity and Quality of Life.
6 U.S. cities ranked in the top 25; 2 in the top 10.
TOP 25 GLOBAL CITIES 2015
#1..New York
#2..Tokyo
#3..London
#4..Hong Kong
#5..Paris
#6..Singapore
#7..Los Angeles
#8..Seoul
#9..Vienna
#10..Stockholm
..tie..Toronto
#12..Chicago
#13..Zürich
#14..Sydney
..tie..Helsinki
#16..Dublin
..tie..Osaka-Kobe
#18..Boston
..tie ..Oslo
..tie ..Beijing
..tie ..Shanghai
#22...Geneva
#24..Washington
#25..San Francisco
#26..Moscow

OVERALL CITY 2025 COMPETITIVENESS RANKINGS TABLE

Rank ... ........Change 2025.....City Score/100.......from 2012
#1..New York .......+1......................75.7............... ......+7.1
#2..London ..........+4......................73.1............ .........+5.3
#3..Singapore .......-2......................71.2......................+ 0.6
#4..Hong Kong ......-1......................68.1.....................+0 .1
#5..Tokyo .............+2.....................68.0.......... ...........-0.1
#6..Sydney ...........-2..................... 67.3.....................+4.5
#7..Paris ...............-2......................67.0......................-0.9
#8..Stockholm .......+5.....................65.7................ .....+5.7
#9..Chicago ..........+3................... 65.6....................+4.6
#10..Toronto ........... - .................... 64.7.....................+2.6
#11..Taipei ............+14................... 64.1.....................+6.5
.........Zürich .............-4................... 64.1........................-
#13..Amsterdam .......-2....................63.2....................+2.0
#14..Washington ......+3................... 63.8....................+4.0
#15..Copenhagen .....+6....................63.0................... .+4.9
........Seoul ...............+7...................63.0.......... ..........+5.
#17..Los Angeles ......+7................... 62.7....................+5.0
#18..San Francisco ..+1..................62.5...................+4.0
#19..Boston .............-3....................62.3.....................+2.7
#20..Frankfurt .........-11...................62.0.....................-0.3
........Melbourne ........-6....................62.0.....................+2.2
#22..Dublin .............+5................... 61.4.....................+4.3
#23..Dubai ..............+6................... 61.3.....................+5.2
#24..Doha ...............+14................. 61.1.....................+6.3
#25..Brussels ...........+1.................. 61.0.....................+3.6
#26..Oslo ................+8................... 60.8.....................+5.4
#27..Houston ..........+2....................60.7.............. .......+4.7
#28..Vancouver ........-5................... 60.6.....................+2.8

Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,243,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
People do not realize this is the USA ... Just when you think High inflation and Interest Rates in the 70s into 80s would NEVER COME DOWN... they did. The 70s shortage of fuel to a surplus. The high fuel prices a last few years now way down again....

Look at NYC in the 70s almost Bankrupt in 1975. A reluctant President Ford pressured to float them Federal loans. Probably NOT paid back? Because Police cuts ect. Had the city Crime rates increase. Even Corporate America pressured President Ford for loans to the city. NYC LOST 1 MILLION PEOPLE ALSO IN THE 70s.

Now flash ahead to the 2000s, One of the Wealthiest cities sought after in the World again.....

Chicago HAS MAINTAINED its global status. Corporate headquarters increased its Downtown population exploded and its Downtown has renewed nicely since the declines of past decades. Actually, I see Chicago's downtown has become a BOUTIQUE DOWNTOWN..... Why, it has renewed and added population, tourist attractions, Parks, Beaches, Harbors and all the expected aspects a Downtown should be..... All in such a Walkable, clean and green 2 x 3 mile stretch. And more..... especially up and down the Lakefront. Also its highly sought after neighborhoods all highly leafy and green.

SF has basically become a Boutique city. The term refers to smallish but with attributes and status of the Bigger ones that specializes in style and sought after by those selective in quality and thee exclusive for status among the Affluent. But I surely add Downtown Chicago as a quintessential American Downtown today and Skyline.

My opinion.... and to declare a has-been city.... IS WAY UNTRUE AND PRE-MATURE IN STATISTICS. Silicon Valley raises SF status that is not city proper. DC has risen and Sunbelt cities will continue a rise. But for slower over-all population growth for Chicago. Much due to Black-Flight as the city by the census lost 200,000. 181.000 as African-Americans. The new census is to show a tiny rise. But the Metro still rose over a million even in the last census.

Perspectives some use to demean and lessen a city like Chicago. With Positives and other stats.... other then its population. Do not show a has-been city.

You seem to need to lessen Chicago to boast for SF and how Silicon Valley has added to its stats... You post lessening other cities too like LA... and it has gotten worse.
No one needs to lessen Chicago. Chicago does it to itself, LoL.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Ok, this is turning into a popularity contest instead of an answer to the question.

For the record, Chicago is my single favorite city in the US. I like it more than NYC, San Francisco, my hometown (Los Angeles), and my adopted hometown (Houston).

But the Indian presence is far larger in the Bay Area than it is in Chicago. Thats indisputible. Indian immigration into the Bay is larger and the population is greater.

The OP would have to weigh it based on that.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
No one needs to lessen Chicago. Chicago does it to itself, LoL.

Your bias against Chicago, renders your opinions regarding Chicago, irrelevant. All one needs to do, is look at all of your posts...your bias is GLARING.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:43 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Your bias against Chicago, renders your opinions regarding Chicago, irrelevant. All one needs to do, is look at all of your posts...your bias is GLARING.

Using your logic, everyone's opinion on C-D is irrelevent, including yours, because everyone's opinion logically contains some inherent bias.

There is nothing wrong with bias, per se.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Using your logic, everyone's opinion on C-D is irrelevent, including yours, because everyone's opinion logically contains some inherent bias.

Some bias is normal. The overt bias, expressed (time and time again), by some posters, becomes irrelevant. It's not hard to pick up on an overt bias, by the way.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:14 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Quote:

We ALL have some Bias.... just some do it with malice and venomous total disrespect. That then infuriates a thread. It's one thing to disagree and say why. But not totally come across as .... Over the Top..... How dare you compare Chicago to NYC.... rhetoric??? Then go on to say Chicago has no Victorians even as good as Brooklyn.... Or any extra-density is better as NYC has. I personally prefer Chicago's. Plenty of Green and once in the neighborhood a more quite street to come home to. But that is me.

I would not totally mock the density of much of Manhattans Tenement restored areas. They are Great also. But I see moderately high-density is sufficient too... and some more moderate-density too. I see Chicago did both well.

Bias that then goes to extreme to lessen the other city is where it says others points are as if irreverent....

I got taunted and tar n feathered to DARE SAY in a Philly thread. I am not fond of Tight, Full, Walled, Solid, Blocks of Row Homes. I prefer Chicago's close but mostly singles that are different and set-backs from the streets and sidewalks.

Like these in Philly...
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9745...7i13312!8i6656

OMG saying that in a Philly thread was as yelling fire... in a theater. Philly being 65% Row homes.

I said I surely like the Colonial neighborhoods preserved and those with trees at least and Victorian Rows.... Just not those narrow street, no back yard but a access corridor street and solid walls of homes....

Did not help. I have a scarlet-letter there ever since.

I did NOT USE TERMS LIKE... Wrong!!! Philly has nothing better then Chicago. Or Idiot, Philly is a wreck get over it...

Some just go in a thread and taunt Locals with Lessening and below the belt antics like a tornado just blew in. Then others post statistics to prove a point and they are irreverent to some.

But I did get warnings from commenting to you as a being rude.

Last edited by steeps; 10-06-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,159,493 times
Quote:

As usual, NOLA cannot see the forest for the trees.

Literally everyone else on here has figured out that WOR is nothing but a blatant troll. Not a real person, just a character created to bash Chicago. It's pretty clear. However, since you do not like Chicago, you have aligned yourself with this fake character. Nice work!

Old 10-06-2015, 12:28 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,243,179 times
LoL Chicago boosters are funny. Even when presented with eperical evidence that The Bay offers a larger Indian population and a better economy, they argue. It's 'the Chicago way'.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL Chicago boosters are funny. Even when presented with eperical evidence that The Bay offers a larger Indian population and a better economy, they argue. It's 'the Chicago way'.
It's because you're biased, don't you see! Other forumers aren't biased of course. They're "fair and balanced".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or