Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 05:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Minneapolis and recently got a couple job offers, one in Pittsburgh and another in Dayton. Both positions are fairly similar in terms of salary and benefits, so the decision is largely going to based on the location. Some of the things that I care about are crime, career opportunities, percentage of other young professionals, and so forth. I'm single, male, and 29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:22 PM

271 posts, read 458,625 times
Based on your age and status, I don't think this should be a debate. Pittsburgh, without a question.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Dayton isn't a bad city, FYI. Only an hour from Cincy and Columbus which are much larger and offer a lot, many safe areas, some great history and museums and a great city park system.

However, Pittsburgh is larger and as a whole offers "more", though Dayton offers some charm that Pittsburgh doesn't as well.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I am currently living in Minneapolis and recently got a couple job offers, one in Pittsburgh and another in Dayton. Both positions are fairly similar in terms of salary and benefits, so the decision is largely going to based on the location. Some of the things that I care about are crime, career opportunities, percentage of other young professionals, and so forth. I'm single, male, and 29.
Basically what will probably happen if you pick Dayton is you'll get bored quickly and later move to Columbus. Although Columbus isn't up to the same level as Minneapolis, but it is in the same style of city (newer buildings, decent economy).

To put this in perspective Dayton will offer you about half of what St. Paul has.

I have a few friends that live in Dayton and they're always hanging out in Columbus if that tells you anything. I do remember one bar in that city played decent music one of the times I was there.

The only real downsides of picking Pittsburgh are the dating pool shrinks greatly after college age and sometimes you have a hard time of finding another decent paying job if what you've got going dries up.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 AM

I'm fairly mobile and am not necessarilly concerned about whether the economy of the region is good or bad. Over the past few years, I've lived in KCK, Denver, and Minneapolis, so I'm very mobile if the job doesn't work out.

The one thing that I'd like to happen in the next five years is to get married, so a place with a good pool of college educated women is important. Preferably liberal area, but that not a deal breaker.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I'm fairly mobile and am not necessarilly concerned about whether the economy of the region is good or bad. Over the past few years, I've lived in KCK, Denver, and Minneapolis, so I'm very mobile if the job doesn't work out.

The one thing that I'd like to happen in the next five years is to get married, so a place with a good pool of college educated women is important. Preferably liberal area, but that not a deal breaker.
So what's wrong with Minneapolis? As a visitor it seemed it would be a better pick on both the job front & dating front than anywhere in Ohio and Pittsburgh.

Usually what happens in Pittsburgh is people go to school there, get a decent job, and a few years later that job disappears forcing them to move. Then they come back years later with their family for the low COL and amenities.

Or they graduate and work a survival job because they like living in the city so much.

Much of the nightlife as far as bars go is largely focused on college kids and those who like to pretend they're still in college.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
So what's wrong with Minneapolis? As a visitor it seemed it would be a better pick on both the job front & dating front than anywhere in Ohio and Pittsburgh.

Usually what happens in Pittsburgh is people go to school there, get a decent job, and a few years later that job disappears forcing them to move. Then they come back years later with their family for the low COL and amenities.

Or they graduate and work a survival job because they like living in the city so much.

Much of the nightlife as far as bars go is largely focused on college kids and those who like to pretend they're still in college.

Minneapolis was great. Just got laid off from my job along with a thousand others, and the jobs I've been offered are outside of Minneapolis.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
I would say Pittsburgh without question.

I've been to Ohio and cities like Cleveland, and Akron and I would it's a certain kind of scene there. It's pretty white, and big drinking, and sports and hard rock are the things. Very fraternity. Which is fine if that's you.

But Pittsburgh has that scene in spades but other scenes as well. Ohio seems to be just that and not much else.

And neither are going to be expensive.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Minneapolis was great. Just got laid off from my job along with a thousand others, and the jobs I've been offered are outside of Minneapolis.
Oh, okay. Well in that case it'll just depend on how much of a city experience you're after. If you're good with just grabbing a beer occasionally and going home after work then Dayton would work.

Pittsburgh's young professional scene is an area that's increasing, but it has a way to go yet. You just get so much more for a slightly higher COL. Still both are lower than Minneapolis.

There are a few peculiarities to the people so you'll want to visit first to make sure it's a good fit.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh! No question. Dayton? mehhhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City