Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Better in terms of New Lofts, Best jobs, Lowest Crime, Public Transit, Shopping, Military B
Flint, Michigan 0 0%
Macon, Georgia 0 0%
Springfield, Massachusetts 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I don't remember: does the PVTA serve Greenfield? That's my favorite town in the Pioneer Valley. It's technically part of the Springfield MSA, but it's practically in Vermont.
Nope that's FRTA; Franklin County is under a different transit agencies (though Sunderland and South Deerfield get PVTA UMass buses). There's bus service from Amherst to Greenfield and Northampton to Greenfield; but rather infrequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The housing stock is mostly no-style worker bungalows, many of the inner city neighborhoods never even had sidewalks (everything was developed slap-dash, like a 1920's version of what you now see in North Dakota's oil fields), downtown is sparse, small and dead, the tallest building, abandoned for decades, was just demolished.
By architecture and historic housing, I'd say Springfield is worse compared to other New England cities. Though it's much better than Flint. Has some sections of nice historic homes. I drove through Springfield, got a bit lost and found these. Thought they were nice looking. Well maybe not all, but interesting.

well a church, not a house:

Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And that's not saying much. Even SW Flint basically sucks.

Flint may be the worst metro area in the U.S. I mean, it's incredibly violent, poor, economically challenged, geographically boring and downright ugly. It isn't even historic, since it was a small town prior to the 20th century auto boom. The housing stock is mostly no-style worker bungalows, many of the inner city neighborhoods never even had sidewalks (everything was developed slap-dash, like a 1920's version of what you now see in North Dakota's oil fields), downtown is sparse, small and dead, the tallest building, abandoned for decades, was just demolished.

There's almost no diversity (just local blacks and whites), minimal transit, no real walkable areas, and dining barely exists outside of crappy suburban chains. I'm not sure if there's a decent hotel in the entire metro. Detroit Metro, just to the south, looks like Paris compared to Flint.

Oh, and the water isn't even drinkable. The city is having a huge water crisis, and you need to boil your tap water.
There are a few Hispanics and there are some nice suburbs like Grand Blanc, Flushing, Clio, Goodrich, Swartz Creek and a few others.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Macon recently consolidated its city government with surrounding Bibb County. This resulted in adding generally newer, higher income neighborhoods into what had been a historically interesting but rather economically depressed city. The city may get more visibility as a result of moving into a higher population bracket. There is definitely potential for growth in the area over the long term - given traffic patterns, it can sometimes be almost as fast to get to the Atlanta airport from Macon as from the northeast Atlanta suburbs.
With Mercer University, the Medical Center, and the additions of lofts everywhere, Downtown Macon is coming around. A restaurant/bar opened next to one of the loft developments recently, and some lounge yet to be opened followed me on instagram last week.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
With Mercer University, the Medical Center, and the additions of lofts everywhere, Downtown Macon is coming around. A restaurant/bar opened next to one of the loft developments recently, and some lounge yet to be opened followed me on instagram last week.

Agreed... If Macon can get a Regional Transit System together, where it be extending into Warner Robins/Houston County or even Covering Bibb County in its entirety, this would be Major Progression... Getting the Electric Buses up and running would be Great as well.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
Peoria is a nightmare

Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Peoria is a nightmare

Seems to me Flint is the Nightmare. It has failed dramatically when it comes to public works/ WATER and the health of its Citizens. Macon or Peoria is no where near the greatest when it comes to pollution but Flint has dropped the Ball...

Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I'd say Macon, GA is the best out of the list. It's actually a neat little city.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Macon has really good bones for a small city...its collection of historic houses is especially impressive to me. Macon,GA: The Heart and Soul of the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City