Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times

Advertisements

Don't know why the natives of Portland, Oregon are worried about people moving there when they're only 148th on this wonderfully accurate list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
I don't know about the content in the body of this linked report but there is already a major factual error in the 2nd paragraph on the opening page linked here earlier.
Regarding yearly population growth & specifically that of 2014, "Growth stood at .73 percent largely in contrast with the 5 percent of the 1990s, a period of prosperity."
What year in the 1990s saw a single year population gain of 5 percent? The answer is no single year.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
ATL is 306 in the main findings and 46 in the rank by city size.
306th, yet job growth is very strong here.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
With the oil collapse and growth in Texas down immensely and Colorado also being affected I would take four cities on that list with some grains of salt.
Not all of Texas is oil. Austin doesn't really have an O/G companies, it's a Tech city.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Stupid inaccurate list. I mean ATL no where to be seen which is insane, with 45 cranes everywhere.
Not to mention it's simply factoring "job growth" and doesn't measure the types of jobs being added. I mean does it really count when we're talking unsustainable growth via service sector jobs that are largely part-time, minus benefits and paying $8-$9 an hour?

Old 10-04-2015, 07:33 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Kyle , is that true about it being mainly low paying service industry jobs in alot of the high growth areas in florida that you know about? I have been putting in applications for various florida cities for programming or any tech jobs and its been pretty awful response outside of one response from citrix and a hospital and state jobs that are paying next to nothing, most of the articles seem to be touting Florida as a high job growth state? I have been hearing from recruiters it is very tough to find STEM jobs in Florida.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big gipp View Post

1. Austin, TX
2. Miami, FL
3. Forth Worth, TX
4. Denver, CO
5. Corpus Christi, TX

Wow!! Texas has 3 out of 5!
Ok, seriously, this is getting waaaaay too common...

Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ok, seriously, this is getting waaaaay too common...
I know what you mean. Like I tell people, it's "Fort Worth" not "Forth Worth".

Old 10-05-2015, 05:12 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Kyle , is that true about it being mainly low paying service industry jobs in alot of the high growth areas in florida that you know about? I have been putting in applications for various florida cities for programming or any tech jobs and its been pretty awful response outside of one response from citrix and a hospital and state jobs that are paying next to nothing, most of the articles seem to be touting Florida as a high job growth state? I have been hearing from recruiters it is very tough to find STEM jobs in Florida.
Yep, it's true unfortunately. An independent study concluded there was somewhere in the neighborhood of one living wage job (paying $16.75 an hour or higher) for every eight applicants in Florida. Many of the homers/pom-pom waving cheerleaders here on C-D in the Orlando forum like to try and maintain there are plenty of jobs and that Central Florida is adding all kinds of STEM jobs, but see little evidence of that myself and just some anecdotal stories of people finding job "y" that pays as well as job "x" that they used to have somewhere in the Northeast US. The reality via statistics and recruiters says otherwise.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yep, it's true unfortunately. An independent study concluded there was somewhere in the neighborhood of one living wage job (paying $16.75 an hour or higher) for every eight applicants in Florida. Many of the homers/pom-pom waving cheerleaders here on C-D in the Orlando forum like to try and maintain there are plenty of jobs and that Central Florida is adding all kinds of STEM jobs, but see little evidence of that myself and just some anecdotal stories of people finding job "y" that pays as well as job "x" that they used to have somewhere in the Northeast US. The reality via statistics and recruiters says otherwise.
Unfortunately I am getting that impression too. My dream was to find a beautiful warm weather town on the east coast where I could boat the atlantic and caribbean and still have a good paying tech job. I have tried numerous cities in florida both coasts and central, charleston sc, savannah georgia, wilmington nc and I was really surprised how few STEM jobs were available. I sort of understand charleston and savannah and wilmington, they are much smaller towns but florida has been a mystery to me as every article touts its growth and jobs.

I have had a little luck with Jacksonville as it is an enormously spread out city and one offer from citrix but I doubt I would get it as it is outside my field, and alot of hospital jobs available but they usually dont pay well. The overwhelming amount of jobs my recruiter said seemed to be geared towards the service industry and catering to retirees and most of the STEM jobs are with the state and hire from within, and STEM jobs with hospitals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City