Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: St. Louis vs. Minneapolis
St. Louis/ (Clayton?) 24 30.38%
Minneapolis/ St. Paul 55 69.62%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times

Advertisements

I love my Missouri and Minnesota cities (being from the KC area, now living in the Twin Cities area). There was a Mpls. vs. KC thread a while back and I think Mpls. won that one being that its just larger, but what about something closer in size (St. Louis/metro).

I admit, I haven't spent much time in St. Louis, but hope to visit more in the future. I think St. Louis (City) could easily have twice the population it has now and I'm surprised Minneapolis (city) is now almost 100,000 more than St. Louis. I love St. Louis historic architecture and hope its preserved. St. Paul has done a good job preserving its self, Minneapolis, not so much. Minneapolis seems to be better at keeping and attracting businesses to its Downtown and also has a huge corporate presence in its western burbs, St. Louis seems to be struggling with the whole County vs. City thing. I think having the U of M right next to Downtown is a plus for Mpls. Both cities seem to have a crime issue Downtown. St. Louis probably more so than Minneapolis.

Economy, nightlife, infrastructure, sports, parks, arts, future etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 08:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
The Twin Cities by a long shot. St. Louis, just generally speaking, is the worst.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
The Twin Cities by a long shot. St. Louis, just generally speaking, is the worst.
Care to elaborate?

Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
The Twin Cities are vibrant and growing, I don't get that sense in St. Louis, though I do like some of the redevelopment that has occured in downtown STL in recent years. But not enough to make me choose them over MSP.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I never liked dem Plager brothers

Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Twin Cities are vibrant and growing, I don't get that sense in St. Louis, though I do like some of the redevelopment that has occured in downtown STL in recent years. But not enough to make me choose them over MSP.
St. Louis also has the Cortex area and Clayton that are getting more built up.
Anyone know how the biking and light rail situation in St. Louis is these days? Improving?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
I think the light rail "situation" in StL is more or less status quo since the westward inner suburban extension, though they are adding a short surface running streetcar in the Loop, which is a nice addition, and there are some nascent plans/proposals for streetcars connecting downtown and midtown StL. The bike situation is strange, there. StL is pancake flat, has mild weather, has a fair amount of bike lanes, but they seem to be largely unused, nonetheless. St Louis is one of those places, though, with very little street level activity for its size. Minneapolis seems livelier at the street level in the dead of winter than StL does in its fairest weather months of spring and fall. Its baffling.

To the larger question, MPLS wins this one outright. Bigger, denser, more vibrant, more comprehensive and better used transit, more walkable, livelier, hipper, more outdoorsy, more stuff to do, better cultural institutions, better parks, better neighborhoods, better housing stock (to my preference), and better baseball fans...

I can only imagine preferring StL if one was 1. from there, 2. averse to cold weather, 3. preferred StL's architecture.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I think the light rail "situation" in StL is more or less status quo since the westward inner suburban extension, though they are adding a short surface running streetcar in the Loop, which is a nice addition, and there are some nascent plans/proposals for streetcars connecting downtown and midtown StL. The bike situation is strange, there. StL is pancake flat, has mild weather, has a fair amount of bike lanes, but they seem to be largely unused, nonetheless. St Louis is one of those places, though, with very little street level activity for its size. Minneapolis seems livelier at the street level in the dead of winter than StL does in its fairest weather months of spring and fall. Its baffling.

To the larger question, MPLS wins this one outright. Bigger, denser, more vibrant, more comprehensive and better used transit, more walkable, livelier, hipper, more outdoorsy, more stuff to do, better cultural institutions, better parks, better neighborhoods, better housing stock (to my preference), and better baseball fans...

I can only imagine preferring StL if one was 1. from there, 2. averse to cold weather, 3. preferred StL's architecture.
Okay, I concede that Minneapolis wins overall, but sorry, St. Louis' housing stock blows Minneapolis's out of the water- I think 9 out of 10 objective people would agree. Minneapolis may have some nice parks, but none can compete with the grandeur and charm of Forest Park and Tower Grove Park. Cultural institutions? That's a toss-up-- both cities have first class cultural amenities. As for which city has better baseball fans, do you really want to go there?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Okay, I concede that Minneapolis wins overall, but sorry, St. Louis' housing stock blows Minneapolis's out of the water- I think 9 out of 10 objective people would agree. Minneapolis may have some nice parks, but none can compete with the grandeur and charm of Forest Park and Tower Grove Park. Cultural institutions? That's a toss-up-- both cities have first class cultural amenities. As for which city has better baseball fans, do you really want to go there?
minnesota guy LOL here, that was pretty funny

Old 10-11-2015, 12:26 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Cards vs Twins. I think there is no argument that the Cards have a greater tradition both in being, and winning. However, The Twins have been to the top before as well. The fan base for the Cards is huge, the Twins, more local, but still strong. I think the best example was when the Cards and the Rams were playing on the same day recently, the Rams were WAY secondary. In the same scenerio in Minneapolis, the Vikings would have been the draw.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-11-2015 at 12:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City