Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And yet you still feel these SE winds in Houston; therefore, they do directly contact Houston. It's not as pronounced as in Galveston, no one denies that, but to say that Houston doesn't receive these breezes is also disingenuous. Your argument is still invalid.

How do you define brief? Even some of the super-soakers I describe can come and go quite fast. But, so far that they drop dramatic amounts of rain, and are accompanied by classic thunderstorm gust fronts (like most summer thunderstorms in Houston), the ambient conditions will cool down (as much as 20 degrees even), and the heat will be suppressed, lasting all the way to even past sundown.

Even the brief, less-than-a-minute showers, where not much rain falls, still provide the copious cloud cover that the blocks the rays of the sun from adding heat, providing relief from ambient conditions.

SouthernBoy said it best:

Quote:
The Houston heat is worse after it rains for 15 minutes while the sun is shining...typical Southern heat/weather.
Note: he wasnt agreeing with me, so much as I agree with him on this point, objectively speaking. And it isn't at all rare for those 15-20 minute rains to strike without bringing much, if any, relief with them in the form of cooler temps...it actually feels pretty miserable to me, if you're outside in Houston while its happening.

You'd argument is still meritless...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:58 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post

Note: he wasnt agreeing with me, so much as I agree with him on this point, objectively speaking. And it isn't at all rare for those 15-20 minute rains to strike without bringing much, if any, relief with them in the form of cooler temps...it actually feels pretty miserable to me, if you're outside in Houston while its happening.

Rain here doesn't cool anything off unless it's constant for a few days.

The summer day starts off beautiful, but between 12 pm - 3 pm, do expect really dark clouds followed by a large 15 minute rain shower with some steamy heat and major sun aftwerwards.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,900,114 times
Quote:

He said the storms don't bring relief if the sun was still shining while they were occurring. It still doesn't detract from what I said; if the storms come with strong gust fronts, and profuse clouds that block out the sun, like most of them do, then temps do indeed cool down dramatically.

Your argument is, once again, invalid. Just take the L, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Rain here doesn't cool anything off unless it's constant for a few days.

The summer day starts off beautiful, but between 12 pm - 3 pm, do expect really dark clouds followed by a large 15 minute rain shower with some steamy heat and major sun aftwerwards.
Not if the clouds still hang around, or if the storm was a heavy-soaker; in that case, the day ends rather cool. Such storms can drop temps rather dramatically:
Weather History for Houston, TX | Weather Underground

^From 5:53PM to 6:04PM, temps dropped from 97F to 87.8F, due to a thunderstorm; that is a near 10F drop in less than ten minutes. Temps fell even lower that day (all the way to the 70s), however, this station doesn't display the recording because there was a power outage during the storm.

If a summer day were to begin with heavy clouds and rain, with such conditions then lasting all day, then daytime heat would actually be suppressed to the point that high temps could be below even 80F:
Weather History for Houston, TX | Weather Underground

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,000,998 times
The topic has drifted from it's original goal, I can only wait for Atlanta to be mentioned, and then this thread will not even be about Texas cities but more about Atlanta vs. Dallas vs. Houston.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:33 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,270,818 times
The heat argument isn't even that good. It's not like if you were in Houston, you would say "Man, I wish I could go to Dallas to get some relief from this heat." No, you would be thinking about places like San Diego, Seattle, and other places where it was significantly colder, like 15-20 degrees colder, not <5 degrees difference.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
He said the storms don't bring relief if the sun was still shining while they were occurring. It still doesn't detract from what I said; if the storms come with strong gust fronts, and profuse clouds that block out the sun, like most of them do, then temps do indeed cool down dramatically.

Your argument is, once again, invalid. Just take the L, please.
Take what L?..u mean the one we've all silently watched you hold since you began posting here?...nah, I'm good...I dont have room for an L that size...I appreciate the offer though ....and 9 times out of 10 there are no "profuse clouds" blocking the sun during such storms...scattered storms = partly cloudy...so once again your argument is meritless.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,900,114 times
Quote:
Take what L?..u mean the one we've all silently watched you hold since you began posting here?...nah, I'm good...I dont have room for an L that size...I appreciate the offer though
Nope, the L you are taking is the LOSS; as in, you might as well give up, as you have been making a mockery of yourself for pages now. The L I have been holding on to was the LEAD; as in, I have been making short-work of each and every one of your arguments.

I have provided solid, empirical evidence, that have not only backed my claims, but also refuted your false notions (like the myth that summer thunderstorms are not helping to cool temps down). Your argument is just based on pure feelings. That alone already invalidates your argument, but I will go ahead and refute more of your nonsense:

Quote:
....and 9 times out of 10 there are no "profuse clouds" blocking the sun during such storms...scattered storms = partly cloudy...so once again your argument is meritless.
Scattered storms = partly cloudy? Do you know what "scattered" means?
Ask Tom why: What is the difference between isolated thunderstorms and scattered thunderstorms? - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Dump a box full of legos across a given area of surface, and watch the legos take up a lot of the space; the floor will have many clear spots, but legos are still all over the place. "Scattered" storms are the same way, with the clouds representing the legos, and the sky being the floor; yes, you might see some area of blue sky, but much of the viewing area would still be full of storm clouds, often covering the sun. Thus, scattered storms can hardly be considered "partly cloudy," and your argument, sorry to say, is, once again, invalid.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:35 AM

6,262 posts, read 7,406,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The heat argument isn't even that good. It's not like if you were in Houston, you would say "Man, I wish I could go to Dallas to get some relief from this heat." No, you would be thinking about places like San Diego, Seattle, and other places where it was significantly colder, like 15-20 degrees colder, not <5 degrees difference.
Even the heat indexes are higher in DFW their arguments are a total sham

Houston ranks high on city heat index - Houston Tomorrow

Old 10-20-2015, 10:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
I enjoy Houston's gulf breeze like I enjoy Houston's very extensive subway system. That is to say, its hard to enjoy something that doesnt exist.

And perhaps, Anthony, you missed my post about the humidity levels in both. Houston is significantly more humid than Dallas, period. And the average high in Houston in summer is 93. The average high in Dallas is 96. Thats three degrees which is not much when you throw humidity on top of it.

Youre grasping at straws for something that happens, statistically, every three to four days (summer downpours). Houston isnt Singapore where it does rain every day. It cools down in the area where there is rain, however, Houston is so geographically huge, it almost never rains over the whole city in the summer.

Regarding Jack Lance's chart, did you miss the part where the relative humidity in Houston is far higher in Houston? Thats what makes people unconfortable, not the heat itself.

And your sample day (August 20, 2015), was when a tropical disturbance hit Houston. Thats a terrible way to argue.

http://blog.chron.com/weather/2015/0...on-metro-area/

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-20-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,061,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I enjoy Houston's gulf breeze like I enjoy Houston's very extensive subway system. That is to say, its hard to enjoy something that doesnt exist.

And perhaps, Anthony, you missed my post about the humidity levels in both. Houston is significantly more humid than Dallas, period. And the average high in Houston in summer is 93. The average high in Dallas is 96. Thats three degrees which is not much when you throw humidity on top of it.

Youre grasping at straws for something that happens, statistically, every three to four days (summer downpours). Houston isnt Singapore where it does rain every day. It cools down in the area where there is rain, however, Houston is so geographically huge, it almost never rains over the whole city in the summer.

Regarding Jack Lance's chart, did you miss the part where the relative humidity in Houston is far higher in Houston? Thats what makes people unconfortable, not the heat itself.

And your sample day (August 20, 2015), was when a tropical disturbance hit Houston. Thats a terrible way to argue.

Minor flooding occurring across parts of Houston, warnings issued - Weather
You're spot on with your post, and I noticed that Jack even mysteriously missed that part of the chart himself, even though he's the one who posted it...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City