Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:25 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Show me.

More dry than Houston, aboslutely.

Dry like Arizona, no.
"Show you"? I don't have the quote in my personal possession, sir. Seek and you shall find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 03:27 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
No, peter clearly described Dallas as dry in a post above, and the humidity levels I posted show that is definitely not the case. Average relative humidity remains above 50% all year long.

During July and August, Dallas is noticeably drier when those SW winds roll in and disturb the Gulf winds that are usually dominating. You also have those drier periods in fall where the sky is pretty cloudless, but this happens in Houston as well.

Dallas is dry much in the same way that many Upper South cities are, just with a lot less rainfall. It's still a humid city, though, with a substantial amount of greenery to boot.

Amarillo is somewhat dry. El Paso is definitely dry. Dallas is more like Houston than either of those two cities.
It is also definitely browner and parched compared to Houston as well. Houston is more lush and green throughout the year. Dallas, while it does certainly have much greenery, isn't as green as locales even to the in East Texas Louisiana, or Arkansas. This is not a shock. Dallas is a on a prairie. Houston is on a gulf coastal plain right next to the Piney Woods.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
#143, genius.
Ok genius, you did realize that I specified the night time in that post right? It is dry in Dallas at night and the overnight hours in summer. Maybe not during the day, but at night it is.

Not Arizona dry, but Oklahoma dry.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Ok genius, you did realize that I specified the night time in that post right? It is dry in Dallas at night and the overnight hours in summer. Maybe not during the day, but at night it is.

Not Arizona dry, but Oklahoma dry.
How on Earth is an average relative humidity over 70% "dry"? Help me understand that.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
How on Earth is an average relative humidity over 70% "dry"? Help me understand that.
Dallas' avereage relative humidity isnt over 70%. Its 65%. Houston's is 75%.

And are we really arguing that Houston is not significantly more humid than Dallas? That should be a forgone conclusion.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Dallas' avereage relative humidity isnt over 70%. Its 65%. Houston's is 75%.

And are we really arguing that Houston is not significantly more humid than Dallas? That should be a forgone conclusion.
Don't disagree, but 65% is still really high. Just saying.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Don't disagree, but 65% is still really high. Just saying.
Compared to California, Arizona, and Colorado, it is.

Compared to Houston, its not.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:23 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Compared to California, Arizona, and Colorado, it is.

Compared to Houston, its not.
Actually compared with most of the Western United States it's still kind of humid. Not digging on Dallas, but it is what it is...... Humid

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Actually compared with most of the Western United States it's still kind of humid. Not digging on Dallas, but it is what it is...... Humid
Again, I don't disagree. It is still significantly humid than Houston.

You can have two things that are both one thing, but one significantly more than the other. For example, LA and New York are both big, but one is bigger than the other.
No one should be jealous of Houston or Dallas' summers. They're both bad. So you look for silver linings. In Dallas, that was the evening where things were relatively dry and it cooled down. In Houston, it cools down but the humidity stays. Theres nothing to look forward to.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:05 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Just to clarify what are the top 5 metros. I presume it is...
Houston
Dallas-Fort Worth
San Antonio
Austin
El Paso.
Yeah but El Paso or the Valley area. hard to say which one takes the fifth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City