Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intense rivalry?
Los Angeles vs San Francisco 39 32.50%
Houston vs Dallas 52 43.33%
Kansas City vs Saint Louis 3 2.50%
Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh 9 7.50%
Minneapolis vs Saint Paul 3 2.50%
Cleveland vs Cincinnati 7 5.83%
Other 7 5.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomanaustin View Post
Just reading through this thread you can see the intensity of L.A. vs S.F. Thats a fierce 'real-life' rivalry as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ™WestCoast Reppin™ View Post
SF and L.A. rivalry is intense just look above at Freddy K and Montclair going at it.
Agreed, seeing 2 internet warriors going at it on a Saturday night is such a rivalry.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:20 PM

100 posts, read 189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Some still don't get it. Film production is only one part of the process. It doesn't change the fact a HUGE majority of production companies are located in LA. This hasn't changed at all.

Movies, especially studio movies, are created and run from LA. It's where the decsions are made, how the stories are plotted, cast, and constructed. Where everything is put together. As Bajan Yankee's lists show, it's where most movies are wrapped up in post production.

Studio execs and producers than decide how they're going to distribute. Not SV, not the parent companies.

The majoritiy of writers rooms and producers offices are in LA for TV shows. This hasn't changed.

So LA is still creating the content even it it's filmed somewhere else.

So when someone says at the expense of LA, it's not really true. If anything, the internet has opened up more opportunities and jobs for all these writers/actors/directors and producers/production companies that wouldn't be there in the 1990s.

i've talked to young actors/writers here excited to be on youtube web series. It's exposure for them.

So I don't know what Montclair is talking about.
and let the drama continue (sarcasm)

Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
The Houston Dallas intrastate rivalry is more prolific but the La/SF rivalry is a step above in intensity.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:02 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The Houston Dallas intrastate rivalry is more prolific but the La/SF rivalry is a step above in intensity.
Is it really that intense, outside of this forum....which really doesn't count for anything, at all?

Old 10-18-2015, 02:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times
No.

And as far as this technology vs Hollywood thing, they're more teaming up than going against each other in real life. Maybe in the early 2000s they didnt like each other, but it's dfferrent now.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Is it really that intense, outside of this forum....which really doesn't count for anything, at all?
Well the question in this thread is , is it more intense than any of the other intrastate rivalries and I would definitely say that it is, both on and off this forum.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:41 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Well the question in this thread is , is it more intense than any of the other intrastate rivalries and I would definitely say that it is, both on and off this forum.
Not really. There are two posters going at it and that's pretty much the extent of it.

In reality, LA doesn't feel threatened by SF. Most people actually think it's a very nice city and love to vacation there.

A lot of people moved to San Francisco FROM LA because they didn't like the city, and I think those are the people who give SF the pretentious "LA is a joke" mentality.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Anyways, I see Freddy K's point and I see 18Montclair's point as well. Even though the latter doesn't really seem to understand what Freddy K has been trying to convey.

He pointed out that during the start of the tech boom, Hollywood overlooked the power that these companies would eventually have in today's world, but that is changing. Tech also underestimated the amount of creativity that went into creating this content, but that is also changing, and the so called "rivalry" between these two industries is slowly dying as they start to see the benefits of working with each other. To think that tech could completely strip power from Hollywood is quite ridiculous. Both industries can benefit from each other and that reliance is only going to get stronger. An example: Disney, based in LA, just bought Maker Studios, which is the leading network in online video content on YouTube, based in the Bay Area.

Why Disney Dropped Nearly $1 Billion On Maker Studios, A YouTube Channel

Sure some "filming" has been taking place in other states, but studios, production facilities, sound stages, celebrities, etc. are not moving to the Bay Area and that is something that hasn't really been addressed in this thread so far. SF and the rest of the Bay Area don't have the same sex appeal and glitz that LA has, which is what the talent that creates this content wants. So Freddy is right about the content being a very important aspect, one which the Bay Area has almost nothing to do with, other than a huge presence of video game development and some animation studios. (Pixar being a huge one).

The momentum that the Bay Area has had in acquiring this power is also starting to slow down. Housing has not been skyrocketing like it was in recent years. I know 18Montclair will be the first to point out that the insane real estate value rise is all due to desirability, but this is not the case. Obviously with the amount of white collar jobs infiltrating the region in the past decade have made the area much more desirable, but the fact that SF is extremely geographically constrained and has a populace overrun with NIMBYism is what has made that growth much more astounding. It sucks, because in a way, I would hate for the Manhattanization of SF to ruin the character of the more low and mid rise areas of the the city. So it seems as if they are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to demand and affordability.

I honestly do not think the rise in prominence will last much longer, especially when you hear stories like this one:

https://investmentwatchblog.com/rent...live-in-a-van/

Will there be a burst in this bubble? And if so, how bad will it hurt the tech industry. There is no doubt that there will be worldwide complications if the Bay Area's economy were to take a beating, so I do agree with 18Montclair here, but to think that it will, or has already, "taken down" the power of Hollywood is silly. I'm sorry, but regardless of the fact that those articles were from some of the biggest publications, they are ultimately still just opinions. Journalism, no matter what source it comes from, is never completely objective, so Westcoast Repper, no facts/proof have been presented. Lol. Also, if you actually read some of the articles he posted, without taking them out of context and cherry picking them, you will see just how dramatic and exaggerated he has made them sound.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times
^

Pretty much.

What montclair doesn't realize, is that the entertainment community likes being in LA wether he likes it or not. They like being close to each other. They always have, which is why you don't see production companies, casting agencies, talent agencies, studios, fleeing anywhere else since it arrived in LA decades ago.

You wont find articles about that. You COULD go to IMDBPRO and see it for yourself though.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Minneapolis and Saint Paul are too close to be a rivalry, they are essentially one and the same.
You sure about that? You from there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City