Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in St. Louis, Cleveland, or Detroit?
St. Louis 51 56.04%
Cleveland 26 28.57%
Detroit 14 15.38%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times

Advertisements

Id go with STL too, my fave of the 3 listed. Detroit would be my last choice, but Detroit's burbs would be my first. lol Cleveland is pretty decent, and is my 2nd choice on the list if I had to be in the city proper.

City proper? St. Louis 1st, Cleveland 2nd, Detroit last.

Suburbs? Detroit first, STL 2nd, Cleveland 3rd.

State? Michigan 1st, Missouri 2nd, Ohio 3rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM

334 posts, read 1,367,548 times
Detroit's so much fun, and there actually is lot's to do. Here's my favorite building in Detroit....Penobsoct building.

[url]http://www.emilive.com/portals/581/tour/2317/0_highres.html[/url

http://detroitblog.org/

Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Louis is supposed to get 8 inches of snow tonight. It snowed in Branson/Springfield I think, now here (SE Missouri) and now I think it's supposed to be headed North into St. Louis.

So, if you like snow I'd think any of the three would work. I'm sure Detroit gets the most snow, though.
Actually, quite to the contrary. Cleveland typically gets significantly higher snowfall amounts than Detroit, and St. Louis while it does get decent snowfall is NO comparison to Cleveland or Detroit. Cleveland is at the southwestern-most corner of the snowbelt, which starts along Lake Erie in northeast Ohio and curves as the Lake curves to the northeast. Detroit is not as snowy, but is typically colder than Cleveland. St. Louis' winters have the most mood swings for sure though. It normally is pretty cold here but every 4 weeks or so it will get unseasonably warm, and then all of a sudden the temperature will just plummet back to typical again. The same kind of thing happens with Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati typically as well. All three are capable of getting into the single digits though during the winter, and it's already happened several times here in St. Louis. My personal pick over these three though is St. Louis. My mom's side of the family is basically all from Cleveland and the northeast Ohio area. Have not yet been to Detroit. All three are great historic Rustbelt cities that now function as major centers of business. All are very Midwestern, and each is also filled with rich, unique and distinguishing cultures and cuisine. All are located on bodies of water of some form or another. All three are very safe in their metropolitan areas. However, if I had to pick out of the three, I would probably have to choose St. Louis because its economy and housing prices are doing well, plus the city is rebounding. Detroit and Cleveland are still declining. Also, St. Louis has the most interesting weather in my opinion. Plus, its central location in basically the heart of the United States is quite advantageous.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id go with STL too, my fave of the 3 listed. Detroit would be my last choice, but Detroit's burbs would be my first. lol Cleveland is pretty decent, and is my 2nd choice on the list if I had to be in the city proper.

City proper? St. Louis 1st, Cleveland 2nd, Detroit last.

Suburbs? Detroit first, STL 2nd, Cleveland 3rd.

State? Michigan 1st, Missouri 2nd, Ohio 3rd.
Agreed. Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Missouri in my opinion are probably the most interesting states to live in in the Midwest, although Michigan and Ohio certainly have a lot more problems as far as economy than Missouri. the Midwestern states west of the Mississippi are in better economic shape for some reason than the Midwestern states east of the Mississippi. But yea...Michigan has the Porcupine mountains, Ohio has the Appalachian foothills, and Missouri has the Ozarks. All three are great states and very diverse as far as landscape goes.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Louis is supposed to get 8 inches of snow tonight. It snowed in Branson/Springfield I think, now here (SE Missouri) and now I think it's supposed to be headed North into St. Louis.

So, if you like snow I'd think any of the three would work. I'm sure Detroit gets the most snow, though.
Actually, it's already snowing here...started about maybe an hour and a half ago. The grass is starting to disappear under the snow...I'd say right now we've got roughly half an inch of snow on the ground so far. We're supposed to get 2 inches this afternoon, then 6 inches or so at night. This is the second giant snowstorm we've had this winter. Detroit is going to be hit by this same snowstorm as well. The storm is basically following the I-44 corridor from Oklahoma City to St. Louis, the I-70 corridor from St. Louis to Indianapolis, and then I guess roughly the I-69 corridor from Indianapolis towards Detroit. We're at the very center of the heaviest snowfall.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,752,047 times
We have almost 2 inches here so far and it's still falling. We got out of school at 11. The roads are pretty rough right now.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
For weather: Cleveland gets the most snowfall with an average of 50 inches, Detroit is 2nd with 42 inches, and St. Louis is 3rd with 20 inches. Detroit is the coldest on average followed by Cleveland and St. Louis. Overall the weather is pretty similar in all 3 cities, St. Louis is just a little warmer most the time.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,126 times
Default STL Is so Geographically challenenged

People who are born and raised in STL dotn go anywhere. The only othe big city they every go to Is Chicago. Now when you are in say Cleveland or Detroit you can go to Indy Chichago, C-Bus They big nasty (cincy) or pittsburgh in a less then 4 hr drive. Not to mention Stl Louis only has a baseball Team. Your football team was a 3 year wonder and now your fans still hate it. Browns Fans sell out all of its games and they have sucked for over 20 years. plus stl proper is small Detroit is 1 mill, Cleveland 1/2 Mill C-Bus 3/4 mill STL 350,000. And dropping 2nd highest murder rate, adn well 10 fires this past week does not help.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou_pi View Post
People who are born and raised in STL dotn go anywhere. The only othe big city they every go to Is Chicago.
Perhaps the people you associate with are like that, but many STL folks travel quite a bit. I was born and raised there, we went to NY at least twice a year, NO once a year, and went to Europe 8 times when I was a teenager. Putting such a broad statement out like the one you made makes you appear a bit ignorant.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 AM

56 posts, read 187,167 times
Cleveland 1, Detroit 2, Stl 9th........just playing Stl. I like Cle the most because of the proximity to other large cities and it has huge suburbs. Cleveland is a very historic, diverse, and cultured place, you just have to over look the crime rate, which I believe just builds tough skin and smart people.

I liked Detroit a lot though, everybody was surprisingly friendly, for real I was not expecting that.

Only time I was in Stl was a lay over when i was like 7 mos. old so I can't make a fair assesment of the place. Looking at just the numbers, Stl seems to lack diversity and pop. density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City