Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these the top 5 American cities
Yes 4 14.81%
No 23 85.19%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 PM

13 posts, read 10,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Agree. If San Francisco were to have a major downturn it will be due to land value and startups and companies wanting to relocate to widen their margins. But technology itself is to broad a segment to do to SF what automobile did to Detroit. A better comparison would be if SF was big on mobile phone manufacturing period, but it's not. Also I doubt we as humans ever stop being innovative, that would be the downfall of all cities not just SF.
So cars aren't important to humans either?

And no one is saying that humans will lose the ability to use technology - it'll just be outsourced like it currently is right now. The car industry got outsources to Japan, the tech industry is going to India.

I'm very skeptical of places that rely solely on one industry to survive. Yes, finance exists in SF. Yes, tourism exists in SF, but most of its economy is based off of one thing.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Sherman View Post
Yes

San Francisco is 100% dependent on tech
Detroit was 100% dependent on cars

Detroit died with the car industry
San Francisco will die with the tech industry
Detroit is not dead.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Sherman View Post
So cars aren't important to humans either?

And no one is saying that humans will lose the ability to use technology - it'll just be outsourced like it currently is right now. The car industry got outsources to Japan, the tech industry is going to India.

I'm very skeptical of places that rely solely on one industry to survive. Yes, finance exists in SF. Yes, tourism exists in SF, but most of its economy is based off of one thing.
Not to burst your bubble because I think MIA is a nice city, but SF really is one of America's top cities. Anyway you slice it, from tech, finiance, biotech, tourism, food, history, cultural influence. SF packs a punch.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Nyc
la
chicago
philadelphia
boston

Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM

13 posts, read 10,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Not to burst your bubble because I think MIA is a nice city, but SF really is one of America's top cities. Anyway you slice it, from tech, finiance, biotech, tourism, food, history, cultural influence. SF packs a punch.
So did Detroit before the 1970s.

SF is a great city - it just isn't top 5 city. We can agree to disagree.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:11 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
It's not like SF is "new" to being a powerhouse, either. SF throughout its existence since ~1850 has been a major American city. Chicago, Detroit, and San Francisco are all born of the same era (~1850). The only one that skyrocketed to much greater status earlier on is Chicago. Wayne County, MI and the city limits of San Francisco today (excluding Oakland) had almost the same exact population in 1900. Detroit had a bit of a prewar growth spurt, but we're talking 2.5 million vs 1.5 million people by 1940 (meanwhile Chicago had boomed to ~4.5-5 million by that time period).

SF gave the US both Bank of America and Wells Fargo. It dominates private equity, asset and wealth management, investment banking, and other factions of the financial sector that only cities like Boston and Chicago can likewise say they too dominate (after New York, obviously). It is to VC what New York is to finance in general. Things like the Transcontinental Railroad, the W Coast ports, and operations sustaining the gold rush, copper mining, etc out west were all financed by SF institutions. Basically, the western US exists largely because of San Francisco. That legacy is a bit hard to replace or deteriorate.

SF also is a major player in trade (the Bay Area ports aren't Long Beach/LA but are still top 5-6 in the country), biotech/pharma (up there with Boston), general corporates, and with Google/Tesla/Uber/Apple leading the charge in driverless cars and the technologies that go with them, will probably be a center of car manufacturing as well. Not to mention the Bay Area is also the lead economic region for developing, manufacturing, and implementing clean/green tech, which will undoubtedly become a more important aspect of our lives and the economy. While Detroit's metro petered out around 5 million people, the Bay Area will hit 9 million people soon and continues to grow despite its really high housing costs. Not to mention the Bay Area has been one of the top 3-5 immigration centers of this country for its entire existence, something that Detroit really didn't benefit so much from, and a really important quality for cities to grow, thrive, and retain relevance in an ever changing world.

Basically, the world needs to end for San Francisco to become the next Detroit.

Now, that squashed, top 5 cities for much of the last few generations, if not for a good while longer, have been NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, and SF. This really hasn't changed all that much since SF, DC, Chicago, and LA all really came into their own in the 2nd half of the 20th century into the 21st century. Detroit and Philly may have slipped in there somewhat at some point, but Detroit's era of power and dominance was fairly short lived, and Philly lost a good chunk of relevance towards the point these other cities were born.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Holly cow, the amount of absolute love and praise for San Francisco that can be found on this site is unreal!
haha

Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Holly cow, the amount of absolute love and praise for San Francisco that can be found on this site is unreal!
haha
Where would you place it then cookie?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 PM

574 posts, read 689,248 times
Imo, at this current point in time its:

NYC - No explanation needed

LA - megacity, southern cal is a monster, undisted leader of the second largest population center on the US

Chicago - undisputed leader of the third largest center in the US. Sphere of influences stretches throughout parts of Great Lakes region.

DC - US Capital, very educated, and anchors a large region, although it somewhat shares with Baltimore. Considering it is the capital it might be interchangeable with Chicago.

SF - This is the toughest one for me. I am not the biggest fan of CSAs and CD has made me develop a slight dislike for The City, but I do feel its top 5. Its a big player in finance and tech and has a booming economy at this point. Its also very rich and educated. There hsve been much talk about the tech industry cooling off for a while now and I dont think it will be Detroit, but its economy will come back down to eart at some point. It also shares its region with SJ and Oakland.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 PM

574 posts, read 689,248 times
My personal favorites are

Chicago
Philly
NYC
LA
Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City