Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,751,574 times

Advertisements

Nashville is a perfectly fine place, and worth a visit, but right now as a place to visit, it is not in New Orleans league. It needs to check in in 200 years or so when it has invented a cuisine, a couple of cocktails, a religion, a style of architecture, a distinctive way of living and more than one genre of music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Hilarious picture!

And on a related note, this just popped up in my FB feed. I don't agree that it's a top 10 place in the world, but it's definitely an interesting and unique place to visit. Anyone who hasn't been here in the last 2-3 years would be shocked by all the growth, esp downtown. New ballpark, new amphitheater, new waterfront park, all nicely tied in with the gorgeous walking bridge and tons of new restaurants and bars.

http://wkrn.com/2015/10/27/report-nashville-among-top-10-travel-destinations-in-the-world/
I think that it was top 10 in percentage increase....I didn't see anything about the overall search numbers.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think that it was top 10 in percentage increase....I didn't see anything about the overall search numbers.
I think you are right about the link posted by Bayareadave, that was related to tripadvisor.

The wkrn link I posted was different. It said Lonely Planet named Nashville as a top 10 place to visit in the world in 2016. (At this point I probably need to cut and paste what I said before about not necessarily agreeing because invariably someone will come along and just quote this post, ignoring what I said 3 posts ago).

Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I think you are right about the link posted by Bayareadave, that was related to tripadvisor.

The wkrn link I posted was different. It said Lonely Planet named Nashville as a top 10 place to visit in the world in 2016. (At this point I probably need to cut and paste what I said before about not necessarily agreeing because invariably someone will come along and just quote this post, ignoring what I said 3 posts ago).
Ah, got it. Hard to keep up with all of this press.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 PM

620 posts, read 1,191,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Nashville is a perfectly fine place, and worth a visit, but right now as a place to visit, it is not in New Orleans league. It needs to check in in 200 years or so when it has invented a cuisine, a couple of cocktails, a religion, a style of architecture, a distinctive way of living and more than one genre of music.
Hot chicken cuisine?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,061,534 times
I guess it all depends on what you like to do and what you look for when you travel. Nashville has made great strides as a city, and as a native Tennessean, if I just HAD to move back to TN, it's the only part of the state I would even consider living in. But as far as traveling there and visiting, if you are used to places like New Orleans, Las Vegas, or even Austin, then no, Nashville is probably not going to blow you away, especially if you are not into country music or bar hopping with a bunch of college kids and 20-something hipsters.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:57 AM

14 posts, read 45,156 times
Having visited both cities as a foreign tourist, NOLA wins hands down. Both cities don't even play in the same league. That being said I want to make clear that I really LOVED Nashville and will definitely visit again.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:36 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBY View Post
Having visited both cities as a foreign tourist, NOLA wins hands down. Both cities don't even play in the same league. That being said I want to make clear that I really LOVED Nashville and will definitely visit again.
Nashville is larger, while New Orleans is smaller, more urban with higher crime.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:11 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
What is this? Nola

I can not for the life of me understand the appeal of Nashville. It makes me want to visit just to see what the hype is about.

Last edited by Mezter; 11-23-2015 at 03:18 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 01:08 PM

813 posts, read 2,022,399 times
^ I certainly don't think Nashville is for everyone, but it's not too difficult to understand its appeal even without previously visiting. It's a rapidly growing Southern metro with a strong & well-diversified economy (health care, music, state government, higher education, and automotive industry) and a nice business-cultural/arts balance compared to many of its regional peers. It has an active, touristy downtown that's turned into a major party hub and a strong number of emerging areas outside of downtown with more local/non-touristy vibes.

I'd say it's of a bit of a "tweener" between a renowned tourism destination like New Orleans and a more typical, emerging "New South" business-oriented city like Charlotte. The tourism scene in far more advanced in New Orleans given it's history and culture, but Nashville has emerged as a top ten convention destination in the U.S. since the opening the Music City Center.

BTW, are you the same Mezter from ATRL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City