Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis VS Indianapolis Edition
Indianapolis 56 51.85%
Memphis 38 35.19%
3 words. These Cities ... 14 12.96%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:05 PM

195 posts, read 195,235 times

Advertisements

Memphis is definitely underrated and far better than people give it credit for. I'm saying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Memphis is usually last place in these comparisons. The state has no strategy for Memphis.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...retention.html

Old 02-22-2019, 07:36 AM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Memphis is usually last place in these comparisons. The state has no strategy for Memphis.

Oh the state has tried. They gave millions to Electrolux to bring 1200 manufacturing jobs to Memphis just a couple of years ago, and already Electrolux is closing its brand new Memphis factory and moving it to just outside Nashville. There's not much the state or anyone else can do when Memphis is full of people who have no desire to get an education and improve their lives or even just show up at work. Meanwhile, as the above article alludes to, Mississippi is able to poach businesses and residents away from Shelby County with lower taxes and better schools. Still, it's a zero-sum game, as all it's doing is shifting businesses and population around the area. The Memphis MSA has been stagnant for decades and doesn't appear to be changing. It still has awful schools, generations of residents happy to live on the dole, and an economy that just can't get any traction. It's not the state's fault.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:45 AM

672 posts, read 698,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Oh the state has tried. They gave millions to Electrolux to bring 1200 manufacturing jobs to Memphis just a couple of years ago, and already Electrolux is closing its brand new Memphis factory and moving it to just outside Nashville. There's not much the state or anyone else can do when Memphis is full of people who have no desire to get an education and improve their lives or even just show up at work. Meanwhile, as the above article alludes to, Mississippi is able to poach businesses and residents away from Shelby County with lower taxes and better schools. Still, it's a zero-sum game, as all it's doing is shifting businesses and population around the area. The Memphis MSA has been stagnant for decades and doesn't appear to be changing. It still has awful schools, generations of residents happy to live on the dole, and an economy that just can't get any traction. It's not the state's fault.

The Electrolux closure has more to do with a changing business climate, than it's location, and it seems to stem from the Sears bankruptcy. They went from 1200 employees just a year ago, to 530 today. The Memphis plant wasn't the only plant slated for shut down to consolidate with an already existing Nashville area plant.

https://wreg.com/2019/01/31/electrol...phis-facility/

Last edited by dc1538; 02-22-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM

672 posts, read 698,843 times
Quote:

We finally agree on something.

Now that Nashville, the favorite child, has clearly surpassed Memphis, maybe the state will make an concerted effort to aide in giving Memphis an economic boost and develop a competitive strategy to minimize AR and MS parasitic relationship with it.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
Memphis is definitely underrated and far better than people give it credit for. I'm saying it.
Memphis has a ton of development and redevelopment on the table now, either planned or underway. It's an understated city and and while people throw shade on it constantly, it's on its way to a better future.

Just like other cities with poverty, blighted neighborhoods and low income like St Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit and New Orleans, Memphis has some major obstacles to overcome.

But it is headed in the right direction.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM

329 posts, read 635,881 times
Quote:

Some from the State are starting to take notice. Let's hope the rest of state can get on board.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/30...isnt-universal

Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times
I hate Indianapolis, and would prefer Memphis, but the truth is Indianapolis is a more livable city. At the end of the day I would not want to live in either city TBH. But I like Memphis more as a city, Indy more to live.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM

227 posts, read 198,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I hate Indianapolis, and would prefer Memphis, but the truth is Indianapolis is a more livable city. At the end of the day I would not want to live in either city TBH. But I like Memphis more as a city, Indy more to live.
Sadly, I agree. The Blues, the BBQ, the history... Indy has nothing but a few posh suburbs surrounded by... I can't even articulate it. Ugh. Just don't like Indy, or Indiana for that matter.

Really hope Memphis can overcome its poverty and crime issues.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I would not say Indy is a better sports town. Indy has the edge in NASCAR and football (Memphis is not a football town), but Memphis is without question a bigger golf and baseball town. I equal them in basketball--yeah, Indy is a hotbed of basketball but Memphis is probably the biggest basketball city in the entire South, all things considered (prep/college/pro). Basketball is king in Memphis...
I know this is an old post Murk, but I'm surprised you omitted Indy's large and robust sports tourism sector in your analysis here which is arguably just as important of a contribution to Indy's sports scene/climate than its actual teams. Besides attending games of its resident teams, folks in Indy have tons of opportunities to attend tournaments, championships, special annual events, etc. of all sorts of sports every year, both professional and amateur. It was a very smart move on the city's part to essentially build its convention industry around sports tourism and it's been reaping the rewards ever since.

https://www.nuvo.net/entertainment/s...b419e7d81.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City