Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis VS Indianapolis Edition
Indianapolis 56 51.85%
Memphis 38 35.19%
3 words. These Cities ... 14 12.96%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:49 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis for me. Even with its flat terrain (although Memphis flat too) and relative boring culture, I think it would be the better place to live with multiple Pro Sports, decent Zoo and museums, comfortable four season weather and close to interesting cities such as Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Columbus.

I do a lot of business in Memphis and the city is the armpit of Tennessee. I have no desire to live in Memphis or any part of West Tennessee. Race relations are bad in Memphis, crime is rampant and the economy is no where as strong as other areas in Tennessee or peer cities in the South such as Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, Tampa, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:37 PM

29 posts, read 25,543 times
I know this post is old but im new here. I must correct you on several things about Indy a lot of people come visit and don't know. first off Indy is designed for conventions and sports,both amateur and pro. Indy has hosted the mens final four more than any other city maybe besides Kansas city. Indy host some the largest conventions in the country like GenCon,Fututre farmers of America and the fireman and police convention just to name a few and lets not forget Indy hosted a superbowl. my point is you don't get millions to come to your city if you don't have something for visitors to do. besides BBQ,Beal street,crime and blues theres not just millions of folks running there and business aren't pouring into the area. these two cities are completely different in everyway. Indy is more corporate and designed to make money,live good in its surrounding suburbs that Memphis cant compete with. lets talk about history in sports. google how many people from Indy play in the NBA vs Memphis,ill give you Penny Hardaway that's about it.theres not a lot going compared to Indy.new high rise Hilton going up downtown,expanding their convention center and much more. Memphis doesn't have anything like monument circle or circle center mall.google waterside and bottleworks. theres nothing like this going on in Memphis or Indys redline

Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Probably the only time I’ll ever be voting for Indianapolis...

Why, yes, Memphis truly is just that bad, unfortunately. Throw in the fact that the New Madrid Fault is long overdue for a massive earthquake, and Memphis falls even further.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:24 PM

91 posts, read 136,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Bloody civil rights history? Indy had a surprisingly peaceful civil rights history by comparison.
Yes! Civil Rights History! The History that shaped America and set many Americans on a Path to Freedom which we are still on. It’s better here than in many places now thanks to that History for Minorities. Word of Advice watch the way you talk about this. Freedom is nothing to marginalize!

Old 05-27-2019, 05:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Probably the only time I’ll ever be voting for Indianapolis...

Why, yes, Memphis truly is just that bad, unfortunately. Throw in the fact that the New Madrid Fault is long overdue for a massive earthquake, and Memphis falls even further.
True. A major earthquake in Memphis could be more catastrophic than one in Seattle or L.A. Their infrastructure isn't really prepared for it the way.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
"Best sports town" Indy and it's not even close.
Indy has better future growth projections than Memphis.
Indy has a diverse range of housing.
Indy has one of the best damn airports I've ever been to in my life.

The food though? That actually might be up for a good debate.

Other than that, Indy wins on just about every other count.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:01 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
It is an easy choice for me. I would choose Indianapolis, probably near Carmel or Fishers. Memphis is too crime ridden, run down, dirty, and stuck in the past for me. I am not excited by Indianapolis by any means, but it is a nicer city with more opportunities for sure.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Personally I wouldn’t live in either one. I’d spend the weekend in Memphis to visit Beale street, downtown, and river walk. Indianapolis although a heavily populated city seem to have less things that interest me. I would like to attend an Indy 500 race though.

Last visit to Memphis 2016
Last visit to Indianapolis 2014

Old 05-29-2019, 01:53 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Personally I wouldn’t live in either one. I’d spend the weekend in Memphis to visit Beale street, downtown, and river walk. Indianapolis although a heavily populated city seem to have less things that interest me. I would like to attend an Indy 500 race though.

Last visit to Memphis 2016
Last visit to Indianapolis 2014
Indy has added quite a bit since '14. There are new and rehabbed apartment buildings and more restaurants downtown. Indianapolis has more noticeable boarded up and vacant buildings, but Memphis looks less safe and crime ridden. I think if Indianapolis can keep up its current growth, downtown will continue to flourish.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indy has added quite a bit since '14. There are new and rehabbed apartment buildings and more restaurants downtown. Indianapolis has more noticeable boarded up and vacant buildings, but Memphis looks less safe and crime ridden. I think if Indianapolis can keep up its current growth, downtown will continue to flourish.

Where are these boarded up and vacant buildings? I think I see one or two each time I'm downtown, very few, and there seems to be construction everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City