Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 PM

414 posts, read 508,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
What do they have to do with today? Chicago TODAY is widely considered a capital of comedy and improv comedy continues to thrive (Second City?)...and the blues and jazz scenes are amongst the best in the world..TODAY. House music continues to thrive and you must at least admit Chicago is pretty much the world capital of music festivals..Lollapalooza, Jazz, Blues, Gospel fests etc.

And for what its worth...poetry slams and house music are relatively young Chicago innovations, dating from the 80's....a decade after the coastal concensus that Chicago's best days were behind it. Never ever dismiss the Monster of the Midway....it is always percolating with creative juices.
Meh. San Diegans can go to LA or Vegas for that if they find the interest or urge. Most people do not revolve their lives around these events. If they do, there's plenty of it in SD. Disproportionate amount given how small the metro is.

Chicago is not the capital of music festivals (literally the first time I've ever heard that...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 06:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
A lot of hate for Chicago....believe it or not haters...the city continues to thrive and is adding quite a few rhinestones to its belt. The new northerly island park, the riverwalk, the 606..the recent announcement of the Lucas Museum, and ust this week, it was announced Chicago will be the home of the American Writers Museum, solidfying Chicago's role in the history of American literature. With all due respect to San Diego, what has it ever spawned to change the world?

Forget about Chicago's never-ending list of inventions.....just looking at culture. House music, electric blues, big band jazz, improv comedy, and even something like poetry slams all originated in Chicago. San Diego? Maybe some revolutionary fajita platter? I honestly can't think of one thing.

And yes, some of us LOVe LOVE four seasons...just today I got my cross country skis out of storage...looking forward to snow. I really feel bad for kids especially who grow up without the seasons..can't imagine my childhood without snowmen, snowball fights, ice skating on frozen ponds. Plus all-summer weather makes people soft and loopy...

And anyone referring to Chicagoans as "insecure" is well quite ignorant about how Chicagoans view the world...if anything, the opposite is true.

Here we go again with San Diego lacking culture, what a crock! You realize that more Broadway, Tony award winning plays and successful off-Broadway productions are developed in San Diego than just about any other city in the country outside of NYC.
https://www.lajollaplayhouse.org/abo...on-to-broadway

Have you ever heard of Damn Yankees, Jersey Boys, Memphis, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? The list is several dozen.

Of architecture Chicago gave us the Skyscraper, Prairie Style and the Chicago window, San Diego gave us Colonial Revival Spanish, I'd say they each have their fans of appreciation.

I love to visit the seasons, we go to Rangely Maine most winters in February to get our real winter fix, and wish it rained here more that's for sure- here is hoping for a great, wet El Niño.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post

Chicago is not the capital of music festivals (literally the first time I've ever heard that...).
Well maybe this thread can serve some educational purpose...

Chicago summer music festivals: Concert event calendar

It's a bit of a no-brainer that Chicago is a major nexus of music fests...it sits in the middle of a region of some 70,000,000 that can all reach the city in a day's drive. Heck lollapalooza attracts hundreds of thousands alone.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Well maybe this thread can serve some educational purpose...

Chicago summer music festivals: Concert event calendar

It's a bit of a no-brainer that Chicago is a major nexus of music fests...it sits in the middle of a region of some 70,000,000 that can all reach the city in a day's drive. Heck lollapalooza attracts hundreds of thousands alone.
Hahaha. Of course Chicago is the capital of SUMMER music festivals. It's literally the only time that you can have them! If you cram them all into one season you're bound to be #1! I wonder if Vegas is the capital of non-summer festivals?

There are definitely a large number, but you sure stretched the "capital of summer festivals" to WORLD capital of music festivals as if Chicago is a year-round festival destination

San Diego cannot compare because we are smaller. Many times we have to turn to LA or Vegas (which have WAY more than Chicago). Either way that was a huge laugh.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM

and for what it's worth...Chicago is not nearly that far north in terms of sun as some may think. If it were in Europe it would be about where Rome or Madrid is...so even in the winter the sun can be a bit strong...especially when everything is white....I somehow manage to go through summer without sunglasses, but have to have them in winter...blindingly bright on some days.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Here we go again with San Diego lacking culture, what a crock! You realize that more Broadway, Tony award winning plays and successful off-Broadway productions are developed in San Diego than just about any other city in the country outside of NYC.
https://www.lajollaplayhouse.org/abo...on-to-broadway

Have you ever heard of Damn Yankees, Jersey Boys, Memphis, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? The list is several dozen.

Of architecture Chicago gave us the Skyscraper, Prairie Style and the Chicago window, San Diego gave us Colonial Revival Spanish, I'd say they each have their fans of appreciation.

I love to visit the seasons, we go to Rangely Maine most winters in February to get our real winter fix, and wish it rained here more that's for sure- here is hoping for a great, wet El Niño.
Seriously! People hear what they want to. What's most annoying is their definition of "culture" only refers to some refined opera gala or governor's ball.

Surfing is a culture and lifestyle. Hiking and outdoorsy stuff is part of culture and lifestyle (ask Colorado!). Not to mention the beautiful amounts of Mexican culture that we get.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Hahaha. Of course Chicago is the capital of SUMMER music festivals. It's literally the only time that you can have them! If you cram them all into one season you're bound to be #1! I wonder if Vegas is the capital of non-summer festivals?

There are definitely a large number, but you sure stretched the "capital of summer festivals" to WORLD capital of music festivals as if Chicago is a year-round festival destination

San Diego cannot compare because we are smaller. Many times we have to turn to LA or Vegas (which have WAY more than Chicago). Either way that was a huge laugh.

The Chicago Blues fest is considered the best blues fest in the world, as is the Gospel fest. The Jazz festival is in the top tier of world jazz fests, Lollapalooza is about as big as a music fest can be....so yes, Chicago is indeed a world capital of music fests.

Laugh away dude....another thing Chicago excels at...No joke, Chicago is America's funniest city - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 PM

and earlier in this thread...someone mentioned Chicago's skyline is not as iconic as it once was....well, it's not like Chicago's skyline is finished...big changes are coming...very big, especially the extension of the Michigan Avenue street wall all around the south end of Grant Park....it seems like every few days/week or so another tower is being announced

Proposed Helmut Jahn Supertall and Essex Inn Tower Make Their Public Debut - South Loop Mega Development Update - Curbed Chicago

And someone also absurdly claimed that Houston is going to surpass Chicago in importance...Houston proper may pass Chicago proper (it is way larger physically) but the metros are not in the same league...and Houston's economy is sputtering/contracting...better not to bet money on those Houston population projections at this time...oil is down for the foreseeable future...and the walkable/bikable urbanism that Chicago offers is still a rising trend. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Chicago were t begin to grow faster than Houston in a decade or so...mark my words.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
and earlier in this thread...someone mentioned Chicago's skyline is not as iconic as it once was....well, it's not like Chicago's skyline is finished...big changes are coming...very big, especially the extension of the Michigan Avenue street wall all around the south end of Grant Park....it seems like every few days/week or so another tower is being announced

Proposed Helmut Jahn Supertall and Essex Inn Tower Make Their Public Debut - South Loop Mega Development Update - Curbed Chicago

And someone also absurdly claimed that Houston is going to surpass Chicago in importance...Houston proper may pass Chicago proper (it is way larger physically) but the metros are not in the same league...and Houston's economy is sputtering/contracting...better not to bet money on those Houston population projections at this time...oil is down for the foreseeable future...and the walkable/bikable urbanism that Chicago offers is still a rising trend. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Chicago were t begin to grow faster than Houston in a decade or so...mark my words.
Chicago is an infinitely better city than Houston. No arguments there. However, Houston is on its way to being America's 3rd city. I also believe that growth and investment in Chicago will look better in about a decade, just not enough to beat the tremendous growth potential of Houston.

Chicago was one of 3, yes THREE, metros in the 30 largest metros in the US that grew less than 1% since 2010. It's in the same group as Detroit, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis. Not a good group in terms of economic growth, crime, etc. More disappointing is that the majority of that growth has been in the exurbs/suburbs. Comparatively, Houston metro grew by nearly 10% since 2010.

It doesn't matter if big changes are coming to Chicago. Massive transformations are currently happening in Houston.

As for the skyline, Chicago still does relatively well amongst Americans. Globally it is becoming less memorable compared to the likes of Shanghai, New York, San Francisco, Dubai, Rio de Janeiro and Hong Kong. Places like Panama City, Toronto, and Singapore are slowly moving up as well. Toronto has had exponential skyscraper growth compared to Chicago.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Chicago is an infinitely better city than Houston. No arguments there. However, Houston is on its way to being America's 3rd city. I also believe that growth and investment in Chicago will look better in about a decade, just not enough to beat the tremendous growth potential of Houston.

Chicago was one of 3, yes THREE, metros in the 30 largest metros in the US that grew less than 1% since 2010. It's in the same group as Detroit, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis. Not a good group in terms of economic growth, crime, etc. More disappointing is that the majority of that growth has been in the exurbs/suburbs. Comparatively, Houston metro grew by nearly 10% since 2010.

It doesn't matter if big changes are coming to Chicago. Massive transformations are currently happening in Houston.

As for the skyline, Chicago still does relatively well amongst Americans. Globally it is becoming less memorable compared to the likes of Shanghai, New York, San Francisco, Dubai, Rio de Janeiro and Hong Kong. Places like Panama City, Toronto, and Singapore are slowly moving up as well. Toronto has had exponential skyscraper growth compared to Chicago.
Houston will never be America's 3rd city as long as SF, Chicago, and DC all exist. It's Chicago right now and SF and DC tie for a very close 4th and there are very good arguments for either of those actually being above Chicago as well. Houston is DEFINITELY never becoming 3rd because that would put Houston above SF and DC. Both are doing extremely well.

Although idk what the statistics are, could Chicago's statistical lack of growth while in a popularity boom of cities and construction in downtown Chicago be attributed to the South Side leaving? Maybe there's been an exodus of people from the shootings and violence of the South Side while the population has increased in the North Side? Just a guess. I have no idea. Could be similar to Baltimore though where the nicer, safer neighborhoods around Canton, Federal Hill, Inner Harbor, etc. grew, while West Baltimore lost population due to violence and gangs. Statistically, it looked like the city was growing very slowly, but it is actually leading to a resurgence in the downtown and harbor areas. Just a thought. Not saying that's what's going on in Chicago since I really have no idea.

And as for skylines? No. SF's is changing, but it will never be like Chicago's...at least for a VERY long time!! Ask anyone outside of a thread like this and I assure you none of them would be able to tell the differnece Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, etc. Chicago's skyline is known throughout the world as being one of the most memorable. Panama City is basically throwing up white boxes just like Rio, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc. They make a skyline denser and taller, but not more iconic. Toronto is the only contender here, but I have a feeling most people would still prefer Chicago's skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City