Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
How are Wilmington's public schools?
Newark, Delaware (15 miles west) is going to have better schools than Wilmington (Newark still has SEPTA train service to Philly).

Newark, Delaware is going to be safer than Wilmington.

But Wilmington has cooler architecture, neater neighborhoods, and more to do in terms of cultural amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
How are Wilmington's public schools?
Surprisingly good/moderate to terrible, honestly. Not sure about elementary to middle schools, but high schools range from pretty good Concord High to pretty bad McKean. But the charter, private and public magnet schools are the best in the state,and fare well nationally.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
How does it compare to Hartford CT?
Never been to Hartford, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. But from I've read, fairly comparable, I guess, with Hartford/CT simply being larger and a little wealthier. Bad inner city cores surrounded by very wealthy and picturesque suburbs. Not sure if Hartford is connected to NYC via commuter rail like New Haven, but Wilmington is to Philadelphia, and is a direct stop on the busiest Amtrak corridor in the country.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:21 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
I have heard Savannah has a lot of crime and that Charleston is a nice city but a tough place to get by on a bike. What is Lexington KY like?
Lexington really isn't what you think of when you think of small town southern. It's got a quite built up urban downtown. Lots of new development going on. Great local food scene. It's almost a spill-over situation from the food scene in Louisville which is always seen as one of the best food cities in the country or a very underrated food city.

Lexington itself has a little over 300k people, with a metro area of around 500k. I know that's a little over your population range, but it's because Lexington is a consolidated city county government with Fayette County so it's not exactly 250k right in the city. Additionally, being the largest city in this part of Kentucky, there are a lot of great amenities and shopping for the city itself, but also built there to serve as a hub for the rest of that area of KY. So you get a lot of big city amenities in a smaller town. One example is not many cities its size or college towns have Apple Stores.

While there are a lot of new lofts and apartment buildings going up, there are also tons of older historic homes being completely revitalized. If you decided to live somewhere near or downtown, you would be able to accomplish nearly everything on foot. While it is definitely a college town for University of Kentucky, there is still plenty of business going on that doesn't deal with the university. With the horse industry and the capital city of Kentucky nearby, there is a pretty strong and diverse economy. It's also a very liberal city unlike the stereotype you would believe in Kentucky. Louisville and Lexington are actually very diverse and the gay communities are widely accepted as well. In fact, Lexington has a gay mayor even.

Change of season definitely occurs. Winter get pretty cold and snowy, it's still better than the Midwest. Summer can also get hot and sticky, but not as bad as the south. Kentucky is right between the midwest and south in terms of weather I'd say.

The area around Limestone and Maxwell as well as Broadway and Main and the couple blocks surrounding each has a lot going on.

With the state's flagship university and other universities nearby or in the city such as Transylvania University, it's also one of the most educated cities in the country.
WebCite query result

Keeneland is the horse racing track just outside Lexington. While Churchill Downs is famous for the Kentucky Derby, Keeneland is arguably the more upscale and intimate venue. Even if you're not into horse racing (I wasn't before I moved to Louisville and still it's nothing too special) you really get into it and it's a great party and a great time with friends and new people. Everyone dresses up and just goes to the track for special days and has a great time.

Here's a few articles grabbed from Wiki citations on the economy in Lexington:
As of August 2015, the unemployment rate is only 3.7%
Lexington-Fayette, KY Economy at a Glance

Forbes Welcome

Four Fortune 500 companies do business in the city: Xerox, Lexmark, Lockheed-Martin, and IBM. A&W is headquartered there.

Honestly, there's tons more I could write about for Lexington. Honestly, if I wasn't such a big city boy and needed the Chicago/NYC/London type city life around me, Lexington would be a great place to live. For a city its size, there is a lot to do. And being in Kentucky, you can always do bourbon tours and be close to tons of nature.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Newark, Delaware (15 miles west) is going to have better schools than Wilmington (Newark still has SEPTA train service to Philly).

Newark, Delaware is going to be safer than Wilmington.

But Wilmington has cooler architecture, neater neighborhoods, and more to do in terms of cultural amenities.
Newark, outside of Newark Charter School, is actually fairly low on all Delaware rankings, with the middle/high schools scoring near or at the worst. There's my alma mater the University of Delaware at the collegiate level, which is a good school (Public Ivy), but the other public schools leave a lot to be desired.

Newark is much safer than "Murder Town, USA", but it IS a college town, and stuff still does happen. Safety can be found in other areas of Delaware.

And Newark is on SEPTA/Amtrak, but it's limited service (nothing outside of work hours/no weekends). Unless you're a college student, or work DIRECTLY on Main Street, you'll need a car much more in Newark than Wilmington--much more suburban layout/strip mall vibe in Newark outside of the immediate central campus.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:39 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
OP, what is it that you are looking for in a smaller city? Is it a smaller city with a dense urban core and with good public schools in a warm climate?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Also important to note, liberal or conservative? College towns lean very far left, while other cities their size lean right.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:10 PM

243 posts, read 264,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OP, what is it that you are looking for in a smaller city? Is it a smaller city with a dense urban core and with good public schools in a warm climate?
Hi ckhthankgod,
You summarize my needs very well: warm climate, dense urban core, good public schools, walkable and/or bike-friendly. (I am neutral on the local political ideology.) I should add that I am also curious about what small cities may have to offer that is competitive with big cities.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 PM

650 posts, read 868,222 times
Major college towns areas.

East Lansing/Lansing
Ann Arbor
Kalamazoo
Bloomington IN
Champaign IL
Tallahassee FL

Old 10-29-2015, 02:21 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps places like Auburn AL and Athens GA could work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City