Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Premier city of the Great Lakes Region?
Chicago and its entire extended area Greater Chicago/Chicagoland 86 60.14%
Toronto and its entire extended area the Greater Golden Horseshoe 40 27.97%
Tie 17 11.89%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

There are 5 Great Lakes in North America and some of these are among the largest fresh water bodies of water in the world (only rivaled by the African Great Lakes and a few other massive lakes worldwide). The lakes are Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, and Lake Erie.

The Great Lakes Region has 3 massive population centers in Chicago, Toronto, and Detroit located somewhere close to midway between Chicago and Toronto in time distance. All over 5 million people, but more specifically and to the point, it really boils down to America's Chicago and Canada's Toronto overall.

The two cities are similar in size, the city propers are more or less the exact same size both physically and by population, one is oriented North-South west of the shores on Lake Michigan and the other is oriented East-West north of the shores on Lake Ontario.

Both serve as the principal commercial centers of their regions/countries, Chicago is the center of a region with 68 million people, while Toronto is the commercial center of a country of 35 million people. At their extended forms, both are more or less the same size, both in the 9 million range, between 9 and 10 million currently.

Anyhow, if the Great Lakes as a whole had to have a premier city, the top dog, which of these two cities would be it in 2015? I am speaking in terms of power, influence, commercialization, so on and so forth.

Make your arguments in the context of which city is better viewed as the engine of the Great Lakes. I will leave a poll option for "tie" for those that may think it is way too close but I am more curious to hear from those that think it would go definitely one way over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Amazing how these two cities or metro areas are always compared. I won't vote because I never been to Toronto but am interested in the responses.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:47 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Amazing how these two cities or metro areas are always compared. I won't vote because I never been to Toronto but am interested in the responses.
Toronto is, in my personal opinion, the best match up for Chicago in North America and possibly the world. I also feel the reverse to be true too, Chicago is the best match up for Toronto in both North America and possibly the world.

Both are distinctly different cities and areas (Toronto is more densely built up as an area) but comparable nonetheless on an overall basis. Cook County's population and density levels on built up areas is comparable to the Toronto CMA's population and density levels, to put into perspective.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
I love both cities. Toronto's level of diversity is unmatched by any other city in North America on a per capital level (not even NYC). Thats a huge deal for me.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Man Chicago is gonna win, it always beats Toronto on city data

Old 10-28-2015, 07:15 PM

213 posts, read 278,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I love both cities. Toronto's level of diversity is unmatched by any other city in North America on a per capital level (not even NYC). Thats a huge deal for me.
I think Oakland might be more diverse than Toronto.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Diversity if you factor in population, Oakland doesn't have enough people (sheer numbers) to compare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto#Demographics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oaklan...a#Demographics

Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
I think Oakland might be more diverse than Toronto.
lol.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
If I had to pick one right now without going into a billion details that could be used to favour one over the other because each has so many things the other doesn't - I mean just one RIGHT NOW in 2015 as the Premier city Great Lakes city I would say Chicago..

Knowing what I know about what is happening in Toronto however in terms of population growth and growing importance I'd say this could change in 10-20 years. Truth is in relative terms Toronto has been gaining on Chicago on so many levels for decades.. Its taken that long and i'd say at this point momentum is on T.O's side moving forward and i'm talking in overall terms so please don't start attacking me about how Chicago will always have better skyscraper architecture lol - that's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Toronto is, in my personal opinion, the best match up for Chicago in North America and possibly the world. I also feel the reverse to be true too, Chicago is the best match up for Toronto in both North America and possibly the world.

Both are distinctly different cities and areas (Toronto is more densely built up as an area) but comparable nonetheless on an overall basis. Cook County's population and density levels on built up areas is comparable to the Toronto CMA's population and density levels, to put into perspective.
Good on you Red John! Not too many people understand this.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:36 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Perhaps people in Metro Detroit should only be asked this question since it is located right in between the two cities. When people in metro Detroit go away for the weekend, they choose between Toronto and Chicago. I can say that based on what I know from people here, most people find Toronto to be more sophisticated, cultured, and international than Chicago, but look at Chicago as being a tad more exciting, robust, and fun..but just slightly. Not sure if that helps. It is almost a tie. If you had to assign 10 points between the two, Chicago would get 5.25 and Toronto would get 4.75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City