Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Philly been catching up to Boston in desirability?
Yes, Philly has closed the gap 58 42.03%
No, the gap is as big as ever. 80 57.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 PM

313 posts, read 337,014 times

Advertisements

Some strange phenomenon must be in play in Philly because all the experts on C.D. can't all be wrong . Philadelphia is in the midst of a great building boom ,it's population has increased every year for the past 5yrs by 20k to 25k . New office towers and condo towers emerging out of the ground all over the center city .
University City has vacancy rate at 2% . With 8 to 10 million ft^2 of lab or office space related to research either being constructed on in the planning stage ie Penn's new 1.5 billion hospital and Childrens new 2.2 million ft.^2 office and research center . U of Penn is ranked 12th in the world as an academic research center . Both Drexal and Temple Universities are in or near the top 100 world ranked universities . Last yr Grad students in Philly were polled if they were planning to stay in the city after graduation and 64% said they were planning to stay 2 to 5Yrs. A similar poll in Boston area and only 50% were planning to stay in the Boston area . Philly is a real heavy weight in terms of science and education and a huge pool of talented young minds .
I'll admit that Philly did implode a bit but now comes the expansion !

Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Lol-some people on here are so obsessed with what Europeans think-even when they're from Liverpool LMAO.

Cool story bro...

Old 11-12-2015, 06:37 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Lol-some people on here are so obsessed with what Europeans think-even when they're from Liverpool LMAO.

Cool story bro...
Dude is a known philly hater. If he hates the city so much I don't get why he just doesn't ****ing move? No one is forcing him to live here.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:13 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Dude is a known philly hater. If he hates the city so much I don't get why he just doesn't ****ing move? No one is forcing him to live here.
Yeah. It's fine to have an opinion, but saying packages get stolen in a minute is such a weird lie. I have never had anything stolen from me. I don't know anyone that has had things stolen off their porch, except while I was watching the news. So if it is news worthy, I highly doubt that happens very often in a majority of the city. Chances are you are a racist too if you come on a website to state that the white people in suburbs hate the poor black people in the inner city. Again something that is not true. No one denies that crime isn't a problem in certain parts of the city. People need to understand though that in 2015 the hood isn't spilling over and growing ruining the neighborhood. It's the reverse and a 12 year long study came out recently and it appears it isn't as terrible as people made gentrification out to be

How Gentrification Really Changes Cities - Bloomberg Business

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-12-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
If this poll was which city's residents had a bigger chip on their shoulder, Philly wins hands down. It would likely even beat every other city in the USA. Philly #1 in this category. Should make the PBS people very happy.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:31 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
If this poll was which city's residents had a bigger chip on their shoulder, Philly wins hands down. It would likely even beat every other city in the USA. Philly #1 in this category. Should make the PBS people very happy.
So we can't defend the city when people contiunally make statements like that guy did?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Na, I think the Chicago folks would currently take that "crown". All this (dumb) talk about the "PBS", but the "CBS" can be just as (rightly) defensive of their city. And since we're creating stupid acronyms, how about the San Francisco Force? Because it's always about San Francisco in the end--I've NEVER seen someone from Oakland or San Jose on this forum engage in their debates, despite it all being the "Bay Area".

Point is, every city has reasonable loyalists, as well as unreasonable homers. By all means, ignore the latter, but don't peg the former with stupid labels just because you disagree with their (earned) viewpoints

Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
So we can't defend the city when people contiunally make statements like that guy did?
I still don't get it either. What the hell is wrong with City Data forums? Haha. People can constantly bash Philadelphia but when someone from Philadelphia tries to defend it and point out the good qualities of the city, we're instantly "boosters." It's ridiculous hahaha. It's actually pretty funny.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Point is, every city has reasonable loyalists, as well as unreasonable homers. By all means, ignore the latter, but don't peg the former with stupid labels just because you disagree with their (earned) viewpoints
Exactly. New Englanders are fiercely protective of Boston, as well (I've lived in both areas, so unlike most here, I actually have a solid basis of comparison).

It's just that Boston isn't the recipient of nearly as many juvenile, petty, classist and just generally ignorant comments compared to Philly.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:05 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When don't they come out. I'm on here to try to paint a picture of what this city really is like, not the fantasyland these homers paint. I live right in the Graduate Hospital area of the city. They know exactly where that is. This city is miles behind Boston in so many ways.

Just one little tangible way is how friends in Europe view Philly. My good friend lived here 12 years and hailed from Liverpool. He moved back to the UK and now lives in London. When he was living here, not one person from the UK wanted to visit him in Philly. He would actually fly up to Boston and spend a weekend with friends from the UK. They thought Boston was much more hip and fun place to meet up. He couldn't pay them to come here.

And Boston is far safer and it feels it. The neighborhoods of the central core of Philadelphia are surrounded by some really bad hoods of crime and poverty. West Philly, North Philly badlands, Point Breeze, etc all surround central Philly. You can't even have a package delivered by UPS sit on your steps here more than a minute before it is stolen. The youth from those neighborhoods spend a lot of their time in the central core.
It sounds like you should move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City