U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 PM

564 posts, read 556,680 times

Advertisements

Just trying to spread the love a bit. I live in the Puget Sound area because it is my home and I get homesick. But for those of us who don't..

What city or town would you be willing to try that maybe isn't so trendy right now, or is hidden among the crowd? I bet there are some really cool hidden gems out there and in fact I have been to a few!
So any city that isn't
Bay area
Seattle area
Portland
New York
Denver
Austin

Wouldn't it be cool to have something special and different? These areas are overrated and pretentious to the max. Again I love Seattle because it is my home but I'm not proud of what it has become. And I'd love to see people adventure out and explore themselves rather than becoming a slave to what is trendy at the time. Which is why I made this thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:30 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,675,546 times
New Orleans, Washington DC, Salt Lake City, Tampa, and maaaybe savannah, GA(it might be too small). I realize a lot of the cities I listed are well known but they are not viewed as hip and trendy like the ones you listed. Each city I listed brings a totally different lifestyle and aspect of the USA which makes them unique and I could for sure see myself living in one of them for a period of time. I also would have put atlanta on my list but I feel that it has become somewhat trendy, or at least in media and entertainment it has.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:35 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,661,572 times
There's a lot of places for me, but the common denominator would be an attractive history and the vibe and look of an up-and-coming city. So Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Indianapolis, Richmond, Birmingham, New Orleans, Kansas City, Tulsa, Omaha, Sacramento are all cities I've thought about as places I could potentially move to in the future.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 PM

26 posts, read 27,748 times
Ive already lived in relatively decent variety of cities. Vegas, Pittsburgh, Denver, Asheville NC, Greenville SC, and now Cincinnati. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati being my favorite among them. If I move again the short list would be DC, Philadelphia, and Boston. Might also consider Minneapolis.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,108,290 times
For me it's very few cities. Basically San Diego, Miami and maybe San Francisco. American cities in general don't impress me that much. I live in Chicago so I would want something very different to Chicago. Unfortunately most of what constitutes different from Chicago is sprawl, suburban and bland cities which the US is pretty good at. So with that being said by choice I would live in SF, SD, and Miami outside of Chicago.

I could also live in Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, LA, New Orleans and Seattle if a job transfer or opportunity opened up in those cities. Outside of that, I don't find any other US city very appealing.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 PM

7,840 posts, read 15,935,463 times
US/Canada only for this list (there are probably a dozen I'd actively try for abroad)

My short list:
NYC
SF
DC (lived there but would return)
Philadelphia
Chicago

Others I'd definitely consider
PDX
Denver
Seattle
Montreal
Vancouver
Toronto
LA

Some that pique my interest
Pittsburgh
Quebec City
Ottawa
Charleston, SC
Detroit
Milwaukee
Salt Lake City
Cincinnati

Old 11-04-2015, 07:47 PM

6,511 posts, read 10,154,023 times
Already did my experimentation. 12 years in Dallas. Living there gave me a better appreciation for how good I had it in Colorado.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,518,405 times
I would move to the Bay Area in a heartbeat if I knew that I could afford it.

But since that's not allowed, I would definitely do Nashville or Louisville.

I did Pittsburgh and loved it, but it was the right time to leave for me when I did.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 PM

685 posts, read 438,844 times
Outside of the areas that you listed I'd maybe mention a few like Salt Lake City, Nashville, New Orleans, Chicago, Minneapolis, Sacramento, Asheville, Portland ME, San Diego, and Burlington VT.

With that being said I'd say that quite a few of those are overrated and aren't all that different from the places that you listed so it's hard question to answer because you see a definite overlap with some of these places to an extent. My favorite is the Bay area and the central coast(Monterey-Caramel and Santa Cruz and other cities that dot the coast south of the Bay area). But you've mentioned those so I guess those aren't options.

Let me also mention Montreal since it's in North America at least, definitely one of the better(maybe the best) urban environments in North America. You could also add Vancouver, Toronto, and Quebec City to the list.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,659,816 times
Las Vegas
Phoenix
San Antonio
San Diego
Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or