Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times

Advertisements

Got this idea just thinking about how small my current city seems at times, even while living in a 'hip' neighborhood (Trolley Square).

We always talk about how massive and populated NYC is on this thread, but I think even we C-D nerds take for granted the human scale of the place. Simply put, NYC is a true megacity in terms of people, and I thought it would be fun to harmlessly compare your current residence to it.

Caveat--this isn't a NYC booster thread, nor is it a NYC bashing thread. It's just a simple mathematical comparison meant to be taken in fun. Please don't read into anything more than this. Just went with NYC because it's the biggest place in this country.

So, for me, Wilmington, Delaware has a city population of about 72,000 (rough rounding is okay, though you can get exact with the numbers if you want). NYC city proper is about 8.5 million folks. Sooo, NYC has about 118 Wilmington's worth of people

Metro wise, Wilmington fares much better, largely due to Philly. MSA to MSA and CSA to CSA, NYC is about 3.3 Delaware Valleys, give or take. Excluding Philadelphia and only counting the Delaware portion of the metro, New Castle County at about 550,000, NYC is about 42 times larger metro wise.

So, how does your city proper and metro populations stack up to the Big Apple? And would you prefer for your area to be more or less populated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
NYC is equal to 11.2 Louisvilles.
NYC is equal to 6.69 Louisville MSAs.
NYC is equal to 5.67 Louisville CSAs.

NYC is equal to 2.16 Los Angeleses
NYC is equal to 0.65 Los Angeles MSAs.
NYC is equal to 0.46 Los Angeles CSAs.

Honestly that's insane. NYC is almost half of LA's CSA and still over half of LA's MSA.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:25 AM

^^Yea, that is insane. There isn't a city proper that is at least half as populous as NYC, and even going by metro, there isn't an area that's not demolished (besides Los Angeles).

Old 11-05-2015, 04:33 AM

100 posts, read 189,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Got this idea just thinking about how small my current city seems at times, even while living in a 'hip' neighborhood (Trolley Square).

We always talk about how massive and populated NYC is on this thread, but I think even we C-D nerds take for granted the human scale of the place. Simply put, NYC is a true megacity in terms of people, and I thought it would be fun to harmlessly compare your current residence to it.

Caveat--this isn't a NYC booster thread, nor is it a NYC bashing thread. It's just a simple mathematical comparison meant to be taken in fun. Please don't read into anything more than this. Just went with NYC because it's the biggest place in this country.

So, for me, Wilmington, Delaware has a city population of about 72,000 (rough rounding is okay, though you can get exact with the numbers if you want). NYC city proper is about 8.5 million folks. Sooo, NYC has about 118 Wilmington's worth of people

Metro wise, Wilmington fares much better, largely due to Philly. MSA to MSA and CSA to CSA, NYC is about 3.3 Delaware Valleys, give or take. Excluding Philadelphia and only counting the Delaware portion of the metro, New Castle County at about 550,000, NYC is about 42 times larger metro wise.

So, how does your city proper and metro populations stack up to the Big Apple? And would you prefer for your area to be more or less populated?
Definently does seem like boost thread but since you said It's not intended to boost then It's Ok I guess. I mean come we already know NYC is massive MSA/CSA wise. Really any math from any major city in U.S. will be degrading to NYC.

L.A. stats have been posted already. That's as close of a difference as you'll see. Everything else will significantly be lower.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by â„¢WestCoast Reppinâ„¢ View Post
Definently does seem like boost thread but since you said It's not intended to boost then It's Ok I guess. I mean come we already know NYC is massive MSA/CSA wise. Really any math from any major city in U.S. will be degrading to NYC.

L.A. stats have been posted already. That's as close of difference as you'll see. Everything else will significantly be lower.
No, definitely not a boost thread, as I know PLENTY of people who feel NYC is far too crowded, including native New Yorkers. I personally prefer density/more people, but there's not at all a right or wrong answer when it comes to personal preferences.

Again, just had to go with NYC because it's the most populous city/metro in the country, by a good margin.

Feel free to compare how much bigger your city/metro is against Wilmington, Delaware if you want to flip the script

Old 11-05-2015, 04:42 AM

100 posts, read 189,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, definitely not a boost thread, as I know PLENTY of people who feel NYC is far too crowded, including native New Yorkers. I personally prefer density/more people, but there's not at all a right or wrong answer when it comes to personal preferences.

Again, just had to go with NYC because it's the most populous city/metro in the country, by a good margin.

Feel free to compare how much bigger your city/metro is against Wilmington, Delaware if you want to flip the script
Never heard of it.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by â„¢WestCoast Reppinâ„¢ View Post
Never heard of it.
Have fun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington,_Delaware

Old 11-05-2015, 05:07 AM

366 posts, read 404,620 times
Getting the feeling this is gonna into that whole nonsense about how LA CSA is actually its metro again.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Getting the feeling this is gonna into that whole nonsense about how LA CSA is actually its metro again.
I hope it doesn't, as this is just supposed to be a fun math exercise. LA's CSA is still 5 million short of NYCs, anyway. And though I personally do disagree about its CSA being its MSA, I think using the word nonsense might start the very thing you have a feeling about. Can we just focus on the thread at hand, though?

Last edited by qworldorder; 11-05-2015 at 06:12 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
NYC is equal to 11.2 Louisvilles.
NYC is equal to 6.69 Louisville MSAs.
NYC is equal to 5.67 Louisville CSAs.

NYC is equal to 2.16 Los Angeleses
NYC is equal to 0.65 Los Angeles MSAs.
NYC is equal to 0.46 Los Angeles CSAs.

Honestly that's insane. NYC is almost half of LA's CSA and still over half of LA's MSA.
AND YET ... More people live in Los Angeles County (10 million) than in New York City (8.5 million) and 43 of the 50 states. But LA County is 4,000 square miles / 2,100 density while NYC is only 304 square miles / 27,000 density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City