Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Pittsburgh 66 57.89%
Research Triangle 48 42.11%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The old people don't have college degrees. The young people do.

Congratulations to all those other cities for having better-educated old people.
Every metro has better-educated young people than old people. It's not like Pittsburgh is facing some handicap that the other cities on the list are not. Older people will drag down educational attainment rates for all cities, not just Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:48 PM

Median Earnings in the Past 12 Months (Non-Hispanic White)

Chicago - $41,392
Raleigh - $38,249
Milwaukee - $37,161
St. Louis - $35,875
Detroit - $35,439
Cleveland - $34,559
Pittsburgh - $34,279
Cincinnati - $33,814
Buffalo - $32,322

Median Earnings in the Past 12 Months for Full-Time Workers (Non-Hispanic White Men)

Chicago - $66,010
Detroit - $60,424
Raleigh - $58,494
Milwaukee - $57,391
St. Louis - $55,758
Cleveland - $53,129
Pittsburgh - $52,065
Cincinnati - $51,851
Buffalo - $50,655

Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Diversity breakdown.

Pittsburgh, PA MSA

Population: 2,355,968
White alone: 2,050,991 (87.1%)
Black alone: 194,370 (8.3%)
Asian alone: 50,573 (2.1%)
Hispanic: 36,888 (1.6%)

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC CSA

Population: 2,075,126
White alone: 1,234,584 (59.5%)
Black alone: 473,382 (22.8%)
Asian alone: 90,904 (4.4%)
Hispanic: 224,904 (10.8%)

Old 11-10-2015, 04:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Median Earnings in the Past 12 Months (Non-Hispanic White)

Chicago - $41,392
Raleigh - $38,249
Milwaukee - $37,161
St. Louis - $35,875
Detroit - $35,439
Cleveland - $34,559
Pittsburgh - $34,279
Cincinnati - $33,814
Buffalo - $32,322

Median Earnings in the Past 12 Months for Full-Time Workers (Non-Hispanic White Men)

Chicago - $66,010
Detroit - $60,424
Raleigh - $58,494
Milwaukee - $57,391
St. Louis - $55,758
Cleveland - $53,129
Pittsburgh - $52,065
Cincinnati - $51,851
Buffalo - $50,655
Those are really interesting, the one thing that is different with the median income is how the cost of living comes into play. I have found tech jobs in my field pretty much in the same salary range as maryland in the research triangle area and the cost of living is significantly higher in maryland. Maryland and connecticut have the highest median income in the country but the cost of living is so high both states are usually at the top for states with people migrating out of the state.

I have a guy at our triangle office and he is from the bay area, he said they were able to buy a house much larger and nicer the house they sold in the south bay in raleigh and still had money to get a place in topsail for a little over 130,000, all for the price they sold their home in california . That was the differences in the cost of housing in california and raleigh.

I think housing is a good investment there as well, they seem insulated from the boom and bust in alot of states in real estate, research triangle has 3 big universities, sas,cisco,tons of biotech firms, and the state capitol all in one area.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:15 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Cant you big city pennsylvanians vote for your cities without insults, it is not like pittsburgh and philadelphia like each other or even the majority of pennsylvanians love Philadelphia.

North carolina is not cookie cutter or without character by any means for anyone who has ever visited there, the outer banks and wrightsville and the gorgeous carolina beaches, asheville and the beautiful blue ridge parkway and the appalachian mountains, duke and nc state and beautiful chapel hill and wooded downtowns like raleigh. Come on, just vote for your city and tell us why you like it, no need for insults

Teams like the carolina panthers are doing alot better than the vaunted and historically great Steelers. UNC and Duke football and Duke/carolina basketball is always booming and on top of the acc and over pitt but lets keep the insults to a minimum
Oh, leave them alone and let them insult North Carolina and maybe they will move to Pittsburgh. I voted for Pittsburgh hoping for that result. The weather alone would make Raleigh better but we don't want them to know that. And if they have visited both places, they wouldn't even be asking. Pennsylvania looked depressed when we drove through. I felt sorry for them. It must really be rough up there. I had to stand in line and wait for a stall in the bathroom at their welcome center. It looked ancient.

Last edited by NCN; 11-10-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Pittsburgh gives you...

-Better urban infrastructure
-Better museums
-4 hour access to DC

Raleigh gives you...

-More affluent and educated population
-More diversity
-Lower COL
-4 hour access to DC

Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Oh, leave them alone and let them insult North Carolina and maybe they will move to Pittsburgh. I voted for Pittsburgh hoping for that result. The weather alone would make Raleigh better but we don't want them to know that. And if they have visited both places, they wouldn't even be asking. Pennsylvania looked depressed when we drove through. I felt sorry for them. It must really be rough up there. I had to stand in line and wait for a stall in the bathroom at their welcome center. It looked ancient.
gotta love city-data. Basing your opinion off of the welcome centers lol..

I don't think anyone would argue with you that NC is a better place to visit as a tourist. One of the most diverse states in terms of landscape. But before you start feeling sorry for us, just remember generally we are better educated, healthier, and wealthier so.. yeah its really rough

OECD Regional Well-Being
OECD Regional Well-Being
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_poverty_rate

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-10-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 05:26 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I actually had to make a choice between the two a few years back. I guess you know what my decision was. I do wonder sometimes how things might've been had I made a different choice.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:01 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Regarding various Pittsburgh-related statistics, there's a few things to keep in mind.

I think it's arguable the Census defines the Pittsburgh MSA a bit too broadly. Armstrong and Fayette Counties are not really any more tied in with Pittsburgh than any of the other outlying counties in Western Pennsylvania - no one here seriously considers them part of the Pittsburgh metro. Beaver County is more tied in, but it's really a selection of dying mill towns and their "suburbs" which happens to be close to Pittsburgh. Only Butler, Washington, and Westmoreland Counties really have Pittsburgh exurbs in them, and in all cases these comprise a smallish portion of the overall county, both in terms of population and land area. I raise this point because the outlying counties are very different from Allegheny County these days. All of them (except Beaver) are very white. They all have a much lower proportion of foreign-born residents. They're all lower income areas as well, with the exception of Butler, which has had the most exurban growth and didn't have any old mill towns to begin with. I raise this because we're presumably comparing Pittsburgh (meaning, the city) to the Triangle Region, not the entire metro.

Second, Pittsburgh has much less broad city limits than Raleigh. It has a fair amount of suburban areas within city limits, but the latest such areas were mostly built out by 1965. If Pittsburgh had as high of a proportion of relatively new construction suburban neighborhoods within its city limits, it would unquestionably have a higher income - although I still think it wouldn't be as high as Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I dont get why the pitt boosters keep saying rdu has no character , people obviously have never been to chapel hill or duke and durham or raleighIf you want "character" move to new orleans or memphis or detroit, those places are full of character . Is "charachter" just a codeword for crime and decay? give me the beach and warm weather a thriving downtown with tons to do ,great schools and low crime and a great STEM job market over "charachter" anyday
You obviously haven't spent much time in Pittsburgh if you think it lacks a thriving downtown and a good STEM market. Uber just announced it was hiring 400 here. I mean, we're not Seattle or SF, or even Austin, but Pittsburgh has a decent tech center - it always has due to the influence of Carnegie Mellon University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Every metro has better-educated young people than old people. It's not like Pittsburgh is facing some handicap that the other cities on the list are not. Older people will drag down educational attainment rates for all cities, not just Pittsburgh.
As the chart shows, the differential between education levels for the young and the old is much larger in Pittsburgh than nationwide. While Pittsburgh itself has become a young city again, the suburbs and exurbs are disproportionately old. Indeed, the Pittsburgh MSA is still shrinking mainly due to having negative natural population growth - more births than deaths - as the metro now has a positive net inflow of migrants.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsburgh has much less broad city limits than Raleigh. It has a fair amount of suburban areas within city limits, but the latest such areas were mostly built out by 1965. If Pittsburgh had as high of a proportion of relatively new construction suburban neighborhoods within its city limits, it would unquestionably have a higher income - although I still think it wouldn't be as high as Raleigh.
It wouldn't be. But why does that even matter? Raleigh also has a higher median income at the metro level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As the chart shows, the differential between education levels for the young and the old is much larger in Pittsburgh than nationwide. While Pittsburgh itself has become a young city again, the suburbs and exurbs are disproportionately old. Indeed, the Pittsburgh MSA is still shrinking mainly due to having negative natural population growth - more births than deaths - as the metro now has a positive net inflow of migrants.
I don't see how this is relevant either, particularly considering that Raleigh and other metros have higher educational attainment among all age groups. Educational attainment among 25-34 year olds in Pittsburgh is slightly higher than it is in cities like Cincinnati and Milwaukee, but again, those cities also have tons of racial minorities, which Pittsburgh doesn't have. Educational attainment among non-Hispanic Whites in that age group is probably similar.

Pittsburgh isn't much of a SWPL town judging by income and education levels. Non-Hispanic White educational attainment and income is comparable to Midwestern metros as well as some medium sized Southern metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City