Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Philadelphia
Houston 185 42.43%
Philadelphia 251 57.57%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
Yeah, Philly sure is a hole. Houston doesn't come remotely close to matching this. A handful of cities do.
That is beautiful. What I do love about Houston is the beautiful live oak trees lined on the streets.

Last edited by JMT; 02-14-2016 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Violation of rules for posting images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM

102 posts, read 101,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That is beautiful. What I do love about Houston is the beautiful live oak trees lined on the streets.

This is still Philadelphia city.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0544...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0138...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0575...7i13312!8i6656

Wissahickon neighborhoods are noted for their tree canopy and tree lined streets.

Wissahickon | Philadelphia Water Department

Old 02-14-2016, 05:56 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Which neighborhoods do you consider beautiful? Considering I go to graduate school in philly and have been downtown many ocassions and my impressions remain the same I do have experience in the city, just not the same outlook or experiences as you. Some areas I think are beautiful, but they are all very high cost areas(gladwyne for instance) or don't offer good public schools in the areas that look urban and beautiful. That being said yes Philly is a unique city that has more layers in ways that Chicago certainly lacks. I like distinct suburbs, lots of green scenery, bright sunlight, and places that offer plenty of decent attractions even in the more suburban areas. For instance in Chicago suburbs, each suburb had a downtown area with plenty to do-so whether you went downtown or not there was plenty available. The food was better in Chicago to me as well.
I'm not trying to discredit your opinions, and I apologize if that's how I came off, but I do think attending school in the city is different from being immersed in day-to-day city living.

I think most objective people would agree that Philly's most beautiful neighborhoods are in/around Center City and University City, as well as most of Northwest Philadelphia. Many other areas are "transitioning" into more revitalized/restored areas, so it's apt to say that the "prettified" areas of the city are growing.

There are also suburbs around Philly that are exactly as you've described, and in fact, Philly's suburbs generally do a fantastic job in terms of protecting green space and trying to limit over-development, while still having lots of amenities, but that's another subject entirely.

Food is also very subjective, so if that's your opinion, that's completely understandable.

Quote:
I have friends that all live in the same sections of town(fairmount) and they love where they live. But again these were all people who grew up in Philadelphia or moved from places that don't seem desirable(Ohio, Yuma Arizona, Springfield Illinois, etc.). Coming from Chicago and living in nashville which had a really cool culture and was absolutely beautiful-I don't see the same appeal in Philly. I don't care about the history of the city, at all, I'm not a history buff, never have been. I see the layers but overall don't think the city is aesthically pleasing the same way other places are.... Just my opinion.
Got'cha. Personally I don't see huge allure/beauty in a Sun Belt type of city like Nashville, but again, we'll just have to chalk this up to differences in personal taste. Cultural aspects are also very subjective.

I completely acknowledge that one person may have different aesthetic sensibilities compared to another, and I definitely now understand how you're not a huge fan of Philly's aesthetics given that historic architecture doesn't appear to be your thing.

My main point is to just try to help strike more of an objective chord in terms of how various people may appreciate or not appreciate Philly or Houston (or Chicago) based on what they value and prioritize. At any rate, I do hope you find a city that is more up your alley in the future.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Which neighborhoods do you consider beautiful? Considering I go to graduate school in philly and have been downtown many ocassions and my impressions remain the same I do have experience in the city, just not the same outlook or experiences as you. Some areas I think are beautiful, but they are all very high cost areas(gladwyne for instance) or don't offer good public schools in the areas that look urban and beautiful. That being said yes Philly is a unique city that has more layers in ways that Chicago certainly lacks. I like distinct suburbs, lots of green scenery, bright sunlight, and places that offer plenty of decent attractions even in the more suburban areas. For instance in Chicago suburbs, each suburb had a downtown area with plenty to do-so whether you went downtown or not there was plenty available. The food was better in Chicago to me as well.

I've been all over the country, and the Philadelphia suburbs are one of the best out there if you ask me.

Especially geographically, in comparison to Chicago. The combination of the rolling hills, tons of parks and green and rivers of the PA countryside coupled and the old colonial history and charm is spades better than suburban Chicago and automatic for me.

For the record, I love both cities and metro areas. As an East coaster however, I am more at home with Philadelphia.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
I have been to Philly and really didn't like it. I thought it was too gritty and the people were too rude, but it did have some really preetty areas also, that being said I wana go with Houston, but are there any really urban areas of the city where you can live as a young professional? I didn't see any when I went but I didn't spend much time in the city itself due to the conference location.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
I've been all over the country, and the Philadelphia suburbs are one of the best out there if you ask me.

Especially geographically, in comparison to Chicago. The combination of the rolling hills, tons of parks and green and rivers of the PA countryside coupled and the old colonial history and charm is spades better than suburban Chicago and automatic for me.

For the record, I love both cities and metro areas. As an East coaster however, I am more at home with Philadelphia.
The moment I landed here in Philly I thought I was in the twilight zone. Granted I was hungover, it was January, and my mom had just died a few weeks earlier, but I remember looking around me and thinking in horror, "This is the ugliest city I have ever been too." And as we drove around looking at places, that feeling never went away. There were a few places that we went to, that looked nice(Mt. Airy, Media, etc), but overall I just never fell in love with this city the way I did many suburbs in Chicago.

And during the time I've lived here, whenever I go visit Chicago, and drive through the suburbs I always note the amount of green,brightness, and beauty that I see that I don't see as much in many of the suburbs out here in Philly. There's this difference in lighting, and environment that is distinct in the East Coast--I don't know how to explain it.
I grew up in Naperville, IL. It's a pretty suburban upper middle class area, with a cool downtown, good bars, and pretty manicured lawns, etc. Like I admitted to a previous poster, that are certainly some really pretty suburbs in Philly--the issue is the suburbs that I do think are very pretty are either close to horrible public schools, or are extremely expensive. I'm not an east-coaster, so this is where I guess I'm biased. I dated a guy who demolished me in argument about Philly versus Chicago and many of his arguments were similar as the things being said in this thread and in other threads about Philly. Yet the moment I mention to Philly natives that I'm from Chicago, they immediately assume that I had a busier, better social scene and lifestyle than what Philly offers. It's interesting to me, because no matter who it is--that is always their reaction when I mention Chicago. I'm not at home in the East coast, and as much as I loved Chicago and think it's a better city than Philly I have no intention in moving back. I loved Nashville and the south.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The moment I landed here in Philly I thought I was in the twilight zone. Granted I was hungover, it was January, and my mom had just died a few weeks earlier, but I remember looking around me and thinking in horror, "This is the ugliest city I have ever been too." And as we drove around looking at places, that feeling never went away. There were a few places that we went to, that looked nice(Mt. Airy, Media, etc), but overall I just never fell in love with this city the way I did many suburbs in Chicago.

And during the time I've lived here, whenever I go visit Chicago, and drive through the suburbs I always note the amount of green,brightness, and beauty that I see that I don't see as much in many of the suburbs out here in Philly. There's this difference in lighting, and environment that is distinct in the East Coast--I don't know how to explain it.
I grew up in Naperville, IL. It's a pretty suburban upper middle class area, with a cool downtown, good bars, and pretty manicured lawns, etc. Like I admitted to a previous poster, that are certainly some really pretty suburbs in Philly--the issue is the suburbs that I do think are very pretty are either close to horrible public schools, or are extremely expensive. I'm not an east-coaster, so this is where I guess I'm biased. I dated a guy who demolished me in argument about Philly versus Chicago and many of his arguments were similar as the things being said in this thread and in other threads about Philly. Yet the moment I mention to Philly natives that I'm from Chicago, they immediately assume that I had a busier, better social scene and lifestyle than what Philly offers. It's interesting to me, because no matter who it is--that is always their reaction when I mention Chicago. I'm not at home in the East coast, and as much as I loved Chicago and think it's a better city than Philly I have no intention in moving back. I loved Nashville and the south.
I'm from Upstate NY so im not from either Philly or Chicago.

Have you been to the northern suburbs, or Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia? Sounds like you've just been to the western ones, which is Main Line, but there is way more there you're missing. Main Line aren't even my favorite there.

My first time in Chicago pulling into Union Station from the Southside, it looked like Detroit. It was totally gross. Vacant blocks upon vacant blocks, boarded up houses and just tall grass. That epitomizes the Midwest for me, and I spent a semester at Western Michigan over ten years ago. Been all over the Midwest. I do like Cedar Rapids, Minneapolis and Chicago, because they're Midwestern style. I still like Philadelphia rowhouses vs. Chicago for urban living. Chicago is bigger and more spaced out, which I don't like too much, but the suburbs of Chicago I like most are the ones that are like Northeast suburbs. Lots of trees, green and hilly. Very lush. Chicago Forest Preserve I love, but it's not that big. Philadelphia suburbs are some of the greenest I have been to. I love it. I also enjoy the historic vibe and the fact that on the SEPTA it's 20-30 minutes to Center City, which is unheard of for major cities in the US. Chicago suburbs are only on three sides. Philly has four since it's an hour inland.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM

230 posts, read 286,437 times
Just want to address a couple quick points;

First, Faith2187, I saw that some other Philly posters had a problem with some of your comments, I just wanted to say that I didn't take what you were saying personally, and I don't see the point in browbeating someone over their opinion. But Duderino already posted a reply that covered much of what I wanted to say.

While I might not agree with your conclusions, I didn't see anything malicious or mean-spirited in what you said; you gave Philly a shot, it's not for you. Fair enough. I know I've been to cities that, while perfectly fine, just didn't do it for me. Nothing personal. Case in point, Houston gets a lot a bashing on this forum, unfairly in my opinion. While I've never been there, from what I gather I couldn't ever see myself living there (mostly due to the scorching summer weather)....but it's home to millions of people, and more are moving there in droves every day. So it must have something going for it. And that's mostly what I got from your comments. 'Philly's OK, just not what you're looking for.' I can respect that.

The one thing I might slightly take issue with you on is that it sounds a little like you stayed in your comfort zone a bit while you were here. I don't mean that as a slight; I could be totally wrong, and if so I apologize. For all I know, you went to a ton of different neighborhoods, clubs, restaurants, events, etc. and for whatever reason, the city just wasn't really the vibe that you were looking for. Again; totally legit. But Philly really shows at it's best (and if we're being honest, sometimes it's worst), when you get off the beaten path and explore a little. It can be a city of extremes. There is a lot of under-appreciated beauty here. There is also, it must be admitted, a lot of neglect and ugliness. It can be a strange ride, off-putting, disheartening, and even frightening sometimes. Even to those of us who call it home. But it can also be one of the most beautiful places in the country. Even, at it's very best, the world.

Thanks for giving us a chance, and for your constructive criticism. If you ever decide to return, I hope you have a more positive experience. If not, I still wish you the best in your future travels.

Now as for this other guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Some think Philly looks better than Houston?

If so, Houston must be a real toilet.
I usually try to avoid personal shots at other cities. It's all subjective. Every city has it's good and bad aspects. And I know Philly is far from perfect. But I can't help but note the irony of the guy from Rochester, NY throwing shade.

Seriously?

<Ed Lover voice>: "C'mon, Son."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9GC6YQ4voQ

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 02-14-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187
]The moment I landed here in Philly I thought I was in the twilight zone. Granted I was hungover, it was January, and my mom had just died a few weeks earlier, but I remember looking around me and thinking in horror, "This is the ugliest city I have ever been too."

Condolences with your Mom and Im thinking maybe the sad timing of your arrival in Philly may have played a role in your dislike for Philly and if you landed in one of the grittier hoods in Philly it may have worsened the situation. Your rough description of Philly is present in some locations but in all honesty maybe 95% of the entire region doesnt look like what you describe.

But to be fair If you land in any northern city in January its going to look pretty bleak as you step out into winterscape and 20 degree temps. Landing in May-Oct is much more picturesque and very very green.

The location of Philly International Airport is right on the Delaware River near older industry in particular a ton of oil refineries. I kind of get you having a shady vibe near the airport. But outside the city the Philly region has to be one of the greenest places on the globe. Sounds like you arent too fond of trees,ivy and dense forests but thats a personal issue and doesnt necessarily make the Philadelphia region an ugly place.

Aerial from far suburban Philly. You can say alot of things about Philadlephia but you can't argue that there is no greenery.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/29...17083eb2_b.jpg

http://www.ushotairballoon.com/wp-co.../09/corp02.jpg

Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
The one thing I might slightly take issue with you on is that it sounds a little like you stayed in your comfort zone a bit while you were here. I don't mean that as a slight; I could be totally wrong, and if so I apologize. For all I know, you went to a ton of different neighborhoods, clubs, restaurants, events, etc. and for whatever reason, the city just wasn't really the vibe that you were looking for. Again; totally legit. But Philly really shows at it's best (and if we're being honest, sometimes it's worst), when you get off the beaten path and explore a little. It can be a city of extremes. There is a lot of under-appreciated beauty here. There is also, it must be admitted, a lot of neglect and ugliness. It can be a strange ride, off-putting, disheartening, and even frightening sometimes. Even to those of us who call it home. But it can also be one of the most beautiful places in the country. Even, at it's very best, the world.
Nicely put. I'd agree that Philly indeed a city with co-existing extremes, to a much greater degree than most cities. But overall its beauty throughout the region is definitely under-appreciated (especially for such a large post-industrial city).

More importantly, though, it's continuing on a path toward its great potential (and reclaiming the urban beauty for which it was once well-known historically) as the city progresses in its renaissance.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-14-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City