Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which style of Mexican Food do you prefer?
Texas (TexMex) 78 54.55%
California (CaliMex) 68 47.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:04 AM

34 posts, read 54,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
I choose TEXMEX but they have no answer for the California Burrito... who knew french fries were made to be so delicious in burritos
The most famous California burrito is not the one with french fries in it, but the Mission Burrito that originated in San Francisco: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_burrito
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:30 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
i dont like corn in my mexican food...
Neither do I, unless it's a fried corn tortilla (puffy taco).

Corn is pretty easy to avoid in Tex-Mex. I'm not sure about the others.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Not liking corn in Mexican food is like not liking beef at a steak house. Corn is the essence of Mexican cuisine. It is the indigenous grain of Central America first domesticated in the Valley of Mexico.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Its a tipping point. Its like trying to argue which has better Indian food, San Francisco Bay Area or Toronto. Even though Toronto's Indian community is more than twice as large, both have so many people of Indian origin that you going to find pretty much anything.

I grew up in the Los Angeles area. Yes, I agree, if you take Mexican food as a whole LA will be best nationwide on the whole.

However, would I say LA has better Sonoran food than Phoenix? No I wouldnt. Would I say, LA has better cuisine from San Luis Potosi than Dallas? No I wouldnt. Would I say LA has better food from Veracruz than Houston? No I wouldnt.

I see what your saying and again, if you have to pick a city that has the best Mexican food it is LA. But youre still going to have reigional biases on hand and youre still going to have other places in the US (Houston, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area, and DFW mainly) that will have, at the very least, good Mexican food from every reigion even if it wont compare to the volume LA has.
This is one of the best posts in this thread.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Not liking corn in Mexican food is like not liking beef at a steak house. Corn is the essence of Mexican cuisine. It is the indigenous grain of Central America first domesticated in the Valley of Mexico.
It's also a sugary starch that, in my opinion, just isn't worth eating very much of. I don't think grains should be the essence of any cuisine.

For me, the staple of almost any good Mexican meal is avocado. There are few dishes I will eat without it.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:46 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I love the Mexican food in Southern California, LA and San Diego.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's also a sugary starch that, in my opinion, just isn't worth eating very much of. I don't think grains should be the essence of any cuisine.
I don't disagree but that is entirely beside the point which is that corn is intrinsic to Mexican cooking. It is the foundation of their cuisine. There are precious few dishes which don't include corn in one way or another.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,261,881 times
California has great Mexican food all over the state! I've never been to Texas, so I can't comment, but it's probably good too.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree but that is entirely beside the point which is that corn is intrinsic to Mexican cooking. It is the foundation of their cuisine. There are precious few dishes which don't include corn in one way or another.
Historically, this may have been true in most parts of Mexico, but once wheat and rice became available, corn no doubt became less essential. Plenty of dishes can be enjoyed without corn, so your analogy above doesn't really make any sense. That's my point.

If you stick to traditional tacos, tamales, and enchiladas, then I can understand how corn would be seen as intrinsic.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 PM

591 posts, read 781,940 times
Quote:
sorry i meant sweet corn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City