Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more of a subtropical paradise: Southwest or Southeast
Southwest (Desert Southwest region and coastal California) 42 35.90%
Southeast (Gulf/South Atlantic coastal areas and portions of the inland South) 75 64.10%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:11 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times

Advertisements

The US is blessed with large amounts of land under warm, gentle subtropical climates, allowing for the fruitfulness of the country relative to others around the world. Few other countries around the world have such large amounts of land blessed with such climates, and those that do, such as Australia, Brazil and China, don't have the variety of warm climates that the US does. For instance, the US has warm climates in Mediterranean, arid, humid subtropical, and tropical varieties; those three countries are missing either one or the other of these climates.

These warm climates are represented in the US by two well known regions of the country; the Southwest, and the Southeast. Many similarities can be found. Both regions offer an escape for northerners who want to escape winter cold, are blessed with all sorts of biodiversity, have served as foodbaskets of the country for at least some time, and have vibrant expressions of local culture, all due to the warm climate. There are, of course, differences. The Southwest contains the drier warm climates in the US, both the arid and Mediterranean climate regimes. For the purposes of this discussion, the Southwest includes not only the low-land Desert Southwest region, but also the coastal area of California. On the other hand, the Southeast contains the more humid climates, of the humid subtropical and tropical climate regimes. The Southeast, for this discussion, includes the entire southern US coastal area (from southern Virginia down to Florida, then west to Texas), and also some inland areas in all the states (so cities like Austin, San Antonio, Alexandria, Waycross, etc are included). These differences, of course, extend across the local cultures and attitudes present across the cities in these two regions.

So, if you were to designate just one region as subtropical paradise, which region would that be: the Southwest or the Southeast?

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 11-18-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
I prefer the southeast weather to the Southwest personally. The higher rainfall and humidity gives it a very lush appearance. Some people think the desert is gorgeous (my grandmother and several friends say the deserts out west were he most beautiful part of america they ever saw) but I just don't prefer it. I love green and colors and water. Also my skin is naturally very dry so it is healthy for me to live in humid climates.

I often think the coastal region from northeast florida to Wilmington would be my absolute favorite climate.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Southwest, as I'm no fan of mold, mildew, or mosquitoes

Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Southwest, because of less humidity and better scenery.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Im going to go for neither on the Paradise thing. Hawaii would be the only place in the US I would consider a paradise.

I guess I prefer the Southeast because I need the humid air for my sinuses, but the Southwest is prettier.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I'm going to go for neither on the Paradise thing. Hawaii would be the only place in the US I would consider a paradise.
100 % agreed.

I definitely prefer the Southwest, more natural superlatives, better scenery, better climate, and more culturally compatible for me.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Only parts of coastal SoCal and South Florida resemble what I would consider "paradises"; nice beaches, lots of palm tress, tropical/sub-tropical plants. Overall the Southeast is way more lush and green and you kind of associate that with a "paradise" more so than deserts and arid landscapes, so I guess Southeast overall for the lushness and white sand beaches of Florida.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im going to go for neither on the Paradise thing. Hawaii would be the only place in the US I would consider a paradise.

I guess I prefer the Southeast because I need the humid air for my sinuses, but the Southwest is prettier.
That's tropical though, isn't it? I thought we were talking about subtropical climates.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
That's tropical though, isn't it? I thought we were talking about subtropical climates.
Fair, then I guess I wouldnt consider anything in the subtropical category a paradise.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Then I guess we're excluding South Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City