Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,847,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
Hi there,

I'm mainly interested in the economic quality of life that my wife and I would have in these two cities. So I guess who would you think would have a better quality of life:

Denver, CO making $57k (US) or Vancouver, BC making about $60k (CA).

Because of exchange rate, I lean more toward Denver, but I know nothing about Vancouver so that's why I'm here.
Denver hands down and across the board. You'd be living like a middle class person in Denver and a poverty-stricken serf in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 PM

987 posts, read 1,303,601 times
I live in suburban Vancouver and it's not even a contest.............your 60k will go no where in Vancouver.

Vancouver is more expensive than people imagine to be. It's not just real estate but rentals, hydro, insurance, the highest gas prices in NA, expensive food & restaurants, all made worse by low wages and little opportunity.

Vancouver is a low income city with little economic foundation {the largest corporation based in Vancouver is only 48th largest in the country}............Vancouver survives on house flipping by wealthy Chinese many of which don't even live here. Vancouver is a stunning 40% more expensive than the next most expensive real estate market in the country..........Toronto. The suburbs in Vancouver are "cheaper" but still beyond expensive.
The average price of a home in Vancouver is QUADRUPLE the cost of one in Montreal despite Montreal being a much more important economic centre and 50% larger.

Not even Canadians move to Vancouver anymore............just wealthy Chinese passport buyers.

You would need you head examined to choose Vancouver over Denver for economic quality of life.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,632,189 times
I was aware that Vancouver was expensive, but I am appalled that it's as expensive as it is.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:16 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I was aware that Vancouver was expensive, but I am appalled that it's as expensive as it is.
There have been some exaggerations in this thread.

Yes, single family housing in Vancouver is very expensive and getting more so.

Condo's for the most part are competitive to other cities as are rents.

Restaurants are not any more expensive than Toronto or even Montreal. In fact, I find them to be slightly cheaper than Toronto.
Fast food chains are more expensive that the US, but that is true for all of Canada I believe.

Individual family run restaurants are pretty much the same price you find in place like Seattle, San Fran and L.A. I mention these places since they are the ones I've been to lately.

Upscale restaurants tend to be slightly cheaper than their counterparts in Toronto, and the other places I've mentioned.

Go to some restaurant sites and see for yourself.

Hydro ( electrical ) compared to other places is not expensive. You can check the rates online at BC Hydro's site.

Food in grocery stores in Canada tend to be more expensive than most places in the US. The reasons are many, marketing boards for dairy,( it's not subsidized like in the US ) and transportation costs add to that as well.

However, when I've shopped in the US, I find that some prices are very close, especially if you want to buy BGH free or hormone free meat etc.

Gasoline, yes, it's is about 20 cents more per litre than in most parts of Canada. The gap between the US price and Canadian prices has widen recently since your gas has come down form nearly $4.00 a US gallon. Ours hasn't come down nearly as much.

Is it more expensive than Denver? Overall it is more expensive than Denver, but it's really not a fair comparison. Two totally different cities in what they have to offer. Vancouverites would NEVER think of Denver in comparing the cities.
Night and day.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 AM

67 posts, read 70,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
60k in Vancouver will make you poor.

57k in Denver is solid middle class.

I wouldn't entertain Vancouver with less than 120k CAD. It makes LA look cheap
True but if you live a bit outside of the city, say, Mission, Langley, or Maple Ridge,
prices drop and are more affordable.

There are reasons why Vancouver prices are so high,
it routinely makes top ten places to live, it's gorgeous.

Denver is just ok for me, I've been there a few times and
wasn't exactly blown away.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVT150 View Post
True but if you live a bit outside of the city, say, Mission, Langley, or Maple Ridge,
prices drop and are more affordable.

There are reasons why Vancouver prices are so high,
it routinely makes top ten places to live, it's gorgeous.

Denver is just ok for me, I've been there a few times and
wasn't exactly blown away.
Doesn't change the fact that 60k CAD is peanuts in Vancouver.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,899,096 times
No comparison once so ever! Vancouver, IMO, has the best quality of life than Denver.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:37 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,210,605 times
Vancouver is head and shoulders above Denver.

Only thing I like about Denver is The Broncos

Old 05-05-2016, 05:01 PM

671 posts, read 634,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I live in suburban Vancouver and it's not even a contest.............your 60k will go no where in Vancouver.

Vancouver is more expensive than people imagine to be. It's not just real estate but rentals, hydro, insurance, the highest gas prices in NA, expensive food & restaurants, all made worse by low wages and little opportunity.

Vancouver is a low income city with little economic foundation {the largest corporation based in Vancouver is only 48th largest in the country}............Vancouver survives on house flipping by wealthy Chinese many of which don't even live here. Vancouver is a stunning 40% more expensive than the next most expensive real estate market in the country..........Toronto. The suburbs in Vancouver are "cheaper" but still beyond expensive.
The average price of a home in Vancouver is QUADRUPLE the cost of one in Montreal despite Montreal being a much more important economic centre and 50% larger.

Not even Canadians move to Vancouver anymore............just wealthy Chinese passport buyers.

You would need you head examined to choose Vancouver over Denver for economic quality of life.
I know this is an old post, but "expensive food and restaurants" is really, really off and truly reveals the level of exaggeration of the unaffordability of Vancouver. Some of the cheapest food I've had in Canada, perhaps all of North America, is in Vancouver. You can eat a full sit down dinner with a drink for $6. Just hang out in Richmond... Also, sushi, even decent quality ones can be very, very cheap, like $5 for a box set. I think you've just got to get out of the fine dining/western food chain scene and embrace some of the "ethnic" restaurants. When I used to live in Richmond I ate out all the time, and it was cheaper than buying groceries to cook (there's a little Shanghainese fast food restaurant that served a full plate of noodles with meats and vegetables for $5, tax included. Or maybe they don't pay it. Who knows. Either way, the portion was large enough for two meals).

For the OP (though likely he's already made his move), the only way this will work well for you in Vancouver is if your wife is also making 60K. You'll survive. 120K household income sounds like a lot anywhere else, but you'll be scraping by as solidly middle class here. I'd still take that lifestyle over living in a mansion in a complete dump of a city, but your second choice (Denver) isn't bad at all, so I'd really strongly weigh all the pros and cons.

Vancouver's more expensive, and we live a fairly modest lifestyle despite a six figure household income. That said, we don't feel remotely poor, and we don't think we'd suddenly be driving his and hers Porsches and golfing every weekend if we moved to a "cheaper" city with the same income. The unaffordability really is overblown.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 PM

122 posts, read 187,516 times
Go with Denver - booming economy, nice mountain scenery, and a downtown that's good enough for the needs of most folks. Unless you want to go the apartment or condominium route, you do not want to squeak by on 60k in Vancouver. That won't buy you any single family home in Vancouver or even the suburbs over an hour away. With the money you save in Denver you can take a vacation in Vancouver every summer.

Great cities both though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City