Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
No its not. A huge chunk of the Northwest is very suburban. Nobody walks anywhere. Same goes for parts of ne.

And you really think anything north of Woodley park/Columbia hrs resembles a downtown? How so?
Okay I didn't literally mean every square inch of DC is urban but come on, you know what I was implying. The point is that DC is one of the most urban/walkable cities in the country(especially compared to LA) I would argue that the only cities that are more urban feeling are NYC, chicago, and SF(MAYBE parts of Philly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 PM

317 posts, read 378,229 times
DC is a tier or two below the other major Northeast cities. However, it's also way better than LA.

That's all I'll say in the matter.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,875 times
It's much smaller and much less to do. I'm from that area. LA is a giant in comparison.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Okay I didn't literally mean every square inch of DC is urban but come on, you know what I was implying. The point is that DC is one of the most urban/walkable cities in the country(especially compared to LA) I would argue that the only cities that are more urban feeling are NYC, chicago, and SF(MAYBE parts of Philly).
Of course you didn't mean every square inch, but to say it's all walkable is false or to basically say it all feels like downtown is false.
I've been in those upper northwest areas. There's nothing to walk to.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Just a reminder that 11% of total housing units in DC are 1-unit detached single family homes. The reason why the percentage of single family homes is low is because DC makes it up by having a large percentage of its housing stock in multi-family buildings. A good example are the large multi-family buildings lining Wisconsin Ave, Connecticut Ave, and Massachusetts Ave in "suburban" NW DC.

This compares with:

44% of housing units in Seattle are 1-unit detached
40% of housing units in Atlanta are 1-unit detached
13% of housing units in Baltimore are 1-unit detached
8% of housing units in Philadelphia are 1-unit detached
12% of housing units in Boston are 1-unit detached
That's fine, but I've been to those Upper nortwest areas often. They're not "urban" at all.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
It's much smaller and much less to do. I'm from that area. LA is a giant in comparison.
You're still about as bad as it gets in this forum when it comes to LA bias though. Being from somewhere doesn't always mean much. I'm originally from Oregon but I wouldn't really consider myself an expert on it or anything if I were to be honest.

DC by itself is pretty small in land area, but if you took the most bustling areas of greater DC-Baltimore and the same for LA metro, I would say the former can definitely give the latter a run for it's money in terms of things to do while still being more urban in general.

After a certain point it will just become a battle of suburbia, which LA will have a lot more of. But that's more of a battle of blandness and it's something I certainly have no interest in.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 PM

What? I lived in the DC area for 22 years. And I don't know anything about it?

This forum...

And no, the metro areas aren't even close as far as bustle . Too much of the DC area is just average suburban areas. Fairfax County., Loudoun, Prince William, pg etc are very short on "bustle".
And it's bland as anywhere else. Drive the Fairfax County Pkwy sometime.

At least LA has the sgv, the nation's largest Chinatown in its regular suburbs.

I'll give you parts of Arlington and parts of alexandria, that's it. Even then those places are overrated here.

Things to do is lopsided. More urban in general lol. Yeah right.

Last edited by Freddy K; 02-04-2016 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
What? I lived in the DC area for 22 years. And I don't know anything about it?

This forum...

And no, the metro areas aren't even close as far as bustle . Too much of the DC area is just average suburban areas. Fairfax County., Loudoun, Prince William, pg etc are very short on "bustle".

I'll give you parts of Arlington and parts of alexandria, that's it. Even then those places are overrated here.
Well you sure claim to be. Even if you did it doesn't just automatically make you very knowledgeable about it, which was my point.

There are no shortages of "average suburban area" as of claim in greater LA. And I would say it's places like Santa Monica that's truly overrated for urbanity in this forum. Even if it really was all that urban, which it's not, it's still just a puny little part of the whole area.

PS: I get the feeling there's pages after pages of homerism coming with 3-4 unnecessary posts at time, having had the pleasure to read some of your previous posts. Gotta keep that streak going.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 AM

Whatever makes you sleep better.

I know the DC area better than LA. Outside of a few puny tod nodes, ithe suburbs are as bland and boring as it gets. I'm from reston.
In Fairfax county, people get excited going to punier Reston town center or tysons mall.
That's. About it.

LA beach towns alone are better/more fun.. who wants to hang around Rosslyn or ballston?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Whatever makes you sleep better.

I know the DC area better than LA. Outside of a few puny tod nodes, ithe suburbs are as bland and boring as it gets. I'm from reston.
In Fairfax county, people get excited going to punier Reston town center or tysons mall.
That's. About it.

LA beach towns alone are better/more fun.. who wants to hang around Rosslyn or ballston?
Oh I sleep fine. DC is hardly my favorite city and I don't need to have a totally dense view where it's the perfect utopia. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about you in regards to LA. Which is why I know you will keep replying. Though in my unprofessional opinion, it's more of a mental issue thing from everything I've read.

LA's suburbia is still extremely bland, like those boring beach towns you are describing. Only difference is it's higher density in general compared to typical suburbia elsewhere as they pretty much go in every direction they can. Some might describe that as suburbia without all the benefits people look for in suburbia, but we all already know LA is king of trying to put a positive spin on that. So congrats LA, you are the king of higher density sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City