Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:08 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,393,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Ahhhh...internet troll then. You see now it just feels silly that I even wasted my time with this.

Yes good sir, your metro filled with mostly suburbia just like every other place in the country, is quite sleepy compared to any real urban place. But if it makes you feel better, your burbs do have higher density in general than other places, since your type obviously needs just anything you can get to boast about. It can be the great LA tradition of bragging about high density suburbs LOL. It will be another one of those things you only see in citydata.

On a more serious note, going by experience from visits, I believe LA's suburbia actually has higher density because it's more continuous and kind of never-ending in a way on a weighted density level, where as other suburbia around the country tends to have large clusters of minor gaps. I guess I will have to look at census tracts or something to confirm the actual story.
The consesus has spoken, no amount of ranting can change the mind of others, read through the last couple of pages, with the exception of you and another the majority agree with me, I'll see you in round 2 til we meet again, good day sir (tips hat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 02:18 AM

317 posts, read 375,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
The consesus has spoken, no amount of ranting can change the mind of others, read through the last couple of pages, with the exception of you and another the majority agree with me, I'll see you in round 2 til we meet again, good day sir (tips hat)
The real question for me, if that's really true, is if it's really a worrying sign of this forum's doomsday or is it just large amount of boosterism coming as a result of LA being the 2nd largest city?

I would personally go with the latter tbh. I will say though I feel objectivity in this forum in general comes in short order. But I still find it very addicting for some reason.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 AM

53 posts, read 65,765 times
Quote:
The real question for me, if that's really true, is if it's really a worrying sign of this forum's doomsday or is it just large amount of boosterism coming as a result of LA being the 2nd largest city?

I would personally go with the latter tbh. I will say though I feel objectivity in this forum in general comes in short order. But I still find it very addicting for some reason.
LA definitely has an energy about it that very few US cities can match - there are a lot of areas throughout the metro, especially in LA proper between Downtown and Santa Monica, that generally have a strong pulse.

However, I also agree that the largely car-oriented feel of much of the region does detract from the vibrancy. I'd still put it in the top 5 for the US, but I wouldn't put it at #2.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,423,487 times
Quote:
I have never been to Sao Paulo so I can't comment on it directly. But logic would indicate a lot of it's areas are 3rd world, not uncommon for lots of countries down below in Latin America. And 3rd world density/vibrancy makes most cities in the first world look sleepy. I have however been to Tokyo which falls in the first world. Yes, Tokyo outskirts compared to all other outskirts in the US including NYC is a lot more dense/vibrant. But they are still not very urban at all in reality.

Basically, what you are doing with all this metro bragging is the equivalent of beefing up at best a good minor league hitter, and pretending like he does well in the Majors. On a side note, there are a lot more urban cores in the world than Tokyo btw, including NYC.

And lastly, you aren't talking about Tokyo, the mammoth sized city of East Asia. You are talking about LA, which will remain American no matter how many people of Mexican descent you throw in there. And it's outskirts are still very sleepy whether you want to admit it or not. I will wait for the fallacy filled responses about how puny little 80k cities like Santa Monica says otherwise though. Which in itself gets really overrated for urbanity by you lot, if we are being honest.
If you dont understand Chicago and DC metros are sleeper than la that's your problem.
Most people know.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM

362 posts, read 494,211 times
New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
Miami
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Boston
Washington, DC
New Orleans
Seattle
Denver
San Diego
Las Vegas
Portland, OR
Houston

Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,254,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
This is the argument I was waiting for, and I definitely see your point. The only remaining question would be if the nod should be given to cities with numerous nodes of vibrancy or those with a moderate but more sustained level. In my personal opinion, it would go to the latter. Speaking from experience, I've lived in Atlanta, a city that (like Boston), had several nodes and town centers outside of the core. It even had heavy rail connecting some of these areas. Still, the metro felt slower paced to me than Houston, which had a more evenly distributed population.

How would you compile your list, steeps?
I could do a list.... but I am not familiar with ALL the cities... AND METRO'S on the list and but for Chicago and Philly. Not familiar with the other cities whole metros. So any list is merely seeing... mostly the major city cores. Some a few years ago already.

If on the major city cores/downtowns. NYC just has size and volume that has to be #1 even with it not every single street some like to claim.
Chicago's core has improved in leaps and bounds in 10s of thousands of new residents and revitalization. Two main Shopping streets downtown... one many place top 3 in the nation.
LA's core is more a developing one in residents and establishing a true downtown. Then one that is established in full and merely gaining new residents and revitalizing a real one it had before declines.
Philly's core has developed and revitalized substantially the last 10 years. No longer lagging behind cities like Boston. Though Boston if far more fully gentrified.

I will stop there and my list again.... more on Cores then knowing all the metros. Is closest to this post..
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
NYC
Chicago/SF
Boston
Philly
DC
LA
Seattle
Miami
New Orleans
Portland
Denver/San Diego
Las Vegas
Houston
I'd just change a couple... add NYC of course and note Boston and Philly together. I would have given DC over LA.... it has seen much redevelopment. Spanning 3 states and Baltimore just 40-some miles apart places it in LA standards in DC metro. LA I chose to move to #3 or 4. for key world renown suburbs that get plenty of tourist on their own. Beverly Hills with Rodeo Dr, Malibu and Anaheim (Disneyland) ect.

NYC
Chicago/SF
LA

Boston/Philly
DC

Seattle
Miami

Portland
Denver/San Diego
Las Vegas/New Orleans
Houston

Most who know my posting know why I place Houston last..... just too lacking of street-level life around but for Rush hours waiting for trams and bus stops in its core.
I then moved New Orleans with Las Vegas together as resort/tourist cities as their cores. Very vibrant there but then less.
I MERELY POSTING BECAUSE OF BEING ASKED. WON'T ARGUE FOR MOST but for NYC, Chicago and Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post

Lol ok so the outskirts are sleepy Chicagoland outskirts look something like this:
Yeeeeehaaaaw!!! At least you boys know how to have fun out there.
I find this post and picture for CHICAGOLAND.... OFFENSIVE to use such a picture.... NO DOUBT ''NOT TAKEN THERE'' Sorry. I only responded to it as all others ignored it... for this.... Chicago always had a disconnect to southern Illinois a loooog state. Being Southern Illinois has somewhat more a connection to the South then the Northern part of the State. I still say very Northern should have been part of Wisconsin.... as originally it was to have the border drawn at the southern tip of Lake Michigan.....

Last edited by steeps; 12-17-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 PM

317 posts, read 375,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
If you dont understand Chicago and DC metros are sleeper than la that's your problem.
Most people know.
Well thanks for clearing that up, 18MontClair of LA. We all take your objective opinions so very seriously.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,722,164 times
New York
Chicago
San Francisco
Boston
Philly
DC
Los Angeles
Miami
Seattle
New Orleans

I dont know about the rest

Old 12-17-2015, 02:29 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,423,487 times
Quote:
Well thanks for clearing that up, 18MontClair of LA. We all take your objective opinions so very seriously.
I don't care what you do. I've lived in all 3. You can't come up with anything.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:40 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,449,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
I don't care what you do. I've lived in all 3. You can't come up with anything.
Having lived both DC and Fairfax county(alongside currently living in Scottsdale and downtown LA) I actually think that the DC metro is not as sleeper as you are trying to make it out to be.
Alexandria, Arlington, Silver Springs, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and other cities all offer good amounts of vibrancy, shops, bars, ect. I'm not saying that it is on par with the LA area as a whole, because it is not and it's obvious that LA AREA is more vibrant than the DC area but to say that DC metro is a sleeper metro is a little bit of an exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City