Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 06:12 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

I don't think Philly simply "stole" hip hop from New York.

Quote:
The Vibe History of Hip Hop credits another Philly writer, TOP CAT, with introducing the Philly-style skinny letters to New York City graffitists when he moved to NYC in the early 1970s (Reeves, 219). By the 1970s, graffiti art had evolved from basic tagging to more complex designs and murals. It had spread from North Philly to Center City, and was no longer limited to gang territorialism. Rather than mark walls to designate their turf, graffiti writers like Cornbread made their city a canvas. In a July 1971 issue, the New York Times referred to Philadelphia as the "Graffiti Capital of the World."
https://books.google.com/books?id=Xk...affiti&f=false

The term "bombing" was actually coined in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, hip hop in New York and Philadelphia developed around the same time. Lady B released her first single within months of Rapper's Delight. Mayor Nutter was a Philadelphia hip hop DJ in the 1970s and went by the moniker "Mix Master Mike."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4mPFEICjc0
That's fine, but Ram Squad was from 2000; 20+ years is more than enough time to develop your own style.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think Philly simply "stole" hip hop from New York.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Xk...affiti&f=false

The term "bombing" was actually coined in Philly.
That's still evident in philly. I love their graffiti. I used to go to artcrimes.com back in the 90s, and Philly, NYC, and LA had by far the best graffiti.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:36 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
Joey you still got salt in your blood huh lol ,Be careful you might catch diabetes with all the salt you've developed smh

Now Nwa leader was Eazy e,A member of the Kelly park Compton Crips that sold drugs,Mc ren also was in the streets,Cube wasnt in a gang but wasnt no punk either.

Remember punk ass Tim dog making F Compton over gang violence ? Now years later Tim dog Neighborhood & majority of NYC hoods are filled with L.A & Compton gangs lmao

Now name me 10 gangsta rappers from Philly on the national level like Compton ?

L.A is the mecca of Gangbanging/therefore the mecca of Gang rap little kid.

Like i said Schooly told crime stories but what Nwa did wasnt heard of before they hit the scene. Maybe that Nwa movie got you upset at the L.A Legacy Nwa left on the game,Greatest rap group of all time. Pac Greatest rapper of all time,Dr dre the greatest producer of all time & hip hops first billionaire !!!

Far as biggie son goes,its embarrassing how he turned out,No disrespect to biggie but didnt he rap about sucking his girl dad & getting his behind licked ? Than mister cee caught in Brooklyn picking up men but you not salty right Lol

Old 12-21-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Joey you still got salt in your blood huh lol ,Be careful you might catch diabetes with all the salt you've developed smh

Now Nwa leader was Eazy e,A member of the Kelly park Compton Crips that sold drugs,Mc ren also was in the streets,Cube wasnt in a gang but wasnt no punk either.

Remember punk ass Tim dog making F Compton over gang violence ? Now years later Tim dog Neighborhood & majority of NYC hoods are filled with L.A & Compton gangs lmao

Now name me 10 gangsta rappers from Philly on the national level like Compton ?

L.A is the mecca of Gangbanging/therefore the mecca of Gang rap little kid.

Like i said Schooly told crime stories but what Nwa did wasnt heard of before they hit the scene. Maybe that Nwa movie got you upset at the L.A Legacy Nwa left on the game,Greatest rap group of all time. Pac Greatest rapper of all time,Dr dre the greatest producer of all time & hip hops first billionaire !!!

Far as biggie son goes,its embarrassing how he turned out,No disrespect to biggie but didnt he rap about sucking his girl dad & getting his behind licked ? Than mister cee caught in Brooklyn picking up men but you not salty right Lol
Chill before this thread gets shut down.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Atlanta is like a mixture of Florida and Memphis if anything.
THANK YOU!!! I told someone this a couple of years ago and they tried to clown me and accused me being mad and jealous that Memphis Hip-Hop didn't take off like Atlanta Hip Hop did. It's clear to anybody with ears though that by the mid-90's, Atlanta Hip-Hop was borrowing very heavily from Memphis and Miami. Crunk music itself started in Memphis, but Lil' Jon popularized it in Atlanta and Atlanta got credit for it. And Miami was doing booty shake/bass music back in the 80's when Luke and 2 Live Crew were on the charts, then Atlanta did their own version of it by the time the early 90's rolled around. Eventually, Atlanta merged the Miami/Florida and Memphis influences and came up with the sound that they became famous for. Now all the rappers that come out---pretty much no matter where they are from in the South or almost anywhere else around the country---concede and use that same "Atlanta" sound to blow up and get their music played nationwide, and everybody sounds wack and the same.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I would say Atlanta hip hop (what came to be known as Atlanta hip hop) was a mixture of New Orleans and Memphis. The first thing anyone does when they sit down to make a trap beat is thrown on a triple time hit hat. That's by far the most recognizable feature of Southern hip hop. I don't remember any Atlanta artists doing that prior to Master P and Three 6 Mafia.
Nah. If you grew up in the South and listened to all those different types of rap coming out of each city, then you can easily tell the difference between the beats and styles. You might be able to cite a couple of connections between New Orleans Hip Hop and Atlanta Hip Hop in the 90's if you try hard enough, but overall, New Orleans Hip Hop was always its own thing and was too heavily influenced by New Orleans and Louisiana music, culture, and instruments to be connected to or have heavily influenced Atlanta. If you listen to what New Orleans was doing back in the 90's and even on a lot of Mannie Fresh and Cash Money songs, they had way too many horns, Zydeco rhtyms, and other New Orleans/Lousiana/Creole/Cajun/Jazz, etc. elements going on that were unique to New Orleans. That's why Bounce music came out of New Orleans and didn't really take off anywhere else.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
KodeBlue,No problem sir but remember to tell Joey to chill as well

Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Nah. If you grew up in the South and listened to all those different types of rap coming out of each city, then you can easily tell the difference between the beats and styles. You might be able to cite a couple of connections between New Orleans Hip Hop and Atlanta Hip Hop in the 90's if you try hard enough, but overall, New Orleans Hip Hop was always its own thing and was too heavily influenced by New Orleans and Louisiana music, culture, and instruments to be connected to or have heavily influenced Atlanta. If you listen to what New Orleans was doing back in the 90's and even on a lot of Mannie Fresh and Cash Money songs, they had way too many horns, Zydeco rhtyms, and other New Orleans/Lousiana/Creole/Cajun/Jazz, etc. elements going on that were unique to New Orleans. That's why Bounce music came out of New Orleans and didn't really take off anywhere else.
I'm not talking about bounce music. I clearly stated earlier that New Orleans' contribution to Southern hip hop was the double and triple-timed hi hat. That's evident in this MAJOR late 90s club banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztzfMs8WQQ

That became the defining sound of Southern hip hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKWb9MGtVmw

Old 12-21-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about bounce music. I clearly stated earlier that New Orleans' contribution to Southern hip hop was the double and triple-timed hi hat. That's evident in this MAJOR late 90s club banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztzfMs8WQQ

That became the defining sound of Southern hip hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKWb9MGtVmw
Well, every city that was a hotbed for Hip-Hop contributed SOMETHING that caught on outside its local metro at one point or another, which is part of the reason they got on the map. But I don't think that one high hat is enough to say that other cities' Hip Hip "sounds like" New Orleans' Hip Hop, though. Like I said, New Orleans Hip Hop is so instrumental heavy and multi-genre influenced that even if one small aspect caught on and spread to other cities, it's still not enough to say that they are "heavily" New Orleans influenced. To me and most other people who grew up listening to Southern rap from all over the South at the time, the heaviest New Orleans influence is probably how almost every rapper around the South borrowed the "Triggerman" beat in the 80's and very early 90's. In the gap between the Triggerman beat coming out and catching on and No Limit and Cash Money having their time in the sun, though, nobody outside of Louisiana and the New Orleans metro were thinking about New Orleans as far as Hip Hop goes, even in other parts of the South. Houston, Miami, Memphis, and Atlanta were too busy shining and making their marks during that time.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 12-21-2015 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City