Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,330 times

Advertisements

Nephi215,Mind your business kid

Eazy is nicknamed the Godfather of Gangsta rap,They did videos Raw & uncut,Did Interviews showing real guns, Impacted the game like none other before or after Nwa ....idc who talked about crime or having a fist fight before Nwa,What Eazy did shook up White America over night ...Schooly D ,Ice T or even Too short who was rapping violent lyrics back in 83,84 didnt shake the game like Nwa so give the man his due...

Compton is the Mecca of Gangsta rap & for good reason ..

New york will forever be linked to Hip hop Mecca & L.A/ Compton as Gangsta rap mecca period

Now stick to the thread and stop worrying about this silliness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 AM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Btw I want you guys to listen to this ending (btw this album is also amazing, I implore you to listen to this guy's work), they basically sum up the state of music today.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the state of hip hop to improve. When Lil' Jon hit the scene, I thought the era of stupid ass music would pass quickly. Then all of the snap music came out ("Do the Laffy Taffy!"), which was even dumber than Lil' Jon. The music kept getting dumber and dumber. And then as soon as I thought we hit rock bottom, Young Thug hits the scene. I swear these guys are in a competition to make Black people seem as dumb as possible.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 AM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
You gotta eat the booty like groceries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxVSCfoYnU

Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,167,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Nephi215,Mind your business kid

Eazy is nicknamed the Godfather of Gangsta rap,They did videos Raw & uncut,Did Interviews showing real guns, Impacted the game like none other before or after Nwa ....idc who talked about crime or having a fist fight before Nwa,What Eazy did shook up White America over night ...Schooly D ,Ice T or even Too short who was rapping violent lyrics back in 83,84 didnt shake the game like Nwa so give the man his due...

Compton is the Mecca of Gangsta rap & for good reason ..

New york will forever be linked to Hip hop Mecca & L.A/ Compton as Gangsta rap mecca period

Now stick to the thread and stop worrying about this silliness
Stay in your lane kid. Schoolly D was the first Gangsta rapper in other words he created the gangsta rap sub genre. NWA just made it mainstream. That is fact and I am done.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:50 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I agree that today music is dominated by club bangers. But Big Sean is a lyrical ass dude and has alot of meaningful tracks. His music isn't all the same, it's pretty diverse. "One Man Can Change The World" for example won some award not long ago. Some of his best tracks never get radio play sadly, but these days you need to make radio hits just to stay hot. But Big Sean has some of the craziest punch lines among famous rappers right now.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:52 AM

899 posts, read 1,066,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the state of hip hop to improve. When Lil' Jon hit the scene, I thought the era of stupid ass music would pass quickly. Then all of the snap music came out ("Do the Laffy Taffy!"), which was even dumber than Lil' Jon. The music kept getting dumber and dumber. And then as soon as I thought we hit rock bottom, Young Thug hits the scene. I swear these guys are in a competition to make Black people seem as dumb as possible.
Basically, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiNNBc557OQ

Old 12-24-2015, 01:07 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,330 times
Nephi215,in That Logic than Too short is the first gangsta rapper with lyrics about sex drugs and violence in 83 lol

Old 12-24-2015, 01:07 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
The moment I seen Slim Jesus blow up I knew that my beloved genre is spiraling out of control, and we're losing the essence. The midwest lost some points with this kid, sorry Big Sean haha. Just when I thought it was getting better. I really do despise the media thanks to instances like this. This kid has ZERO hip-hop in him, not an ounce of it. His mannerisms are non-existent, lyrics are complete garbage and content doesn't go beyond artificial reality, and his face shows no sign of expression or emotion. He's like a robot to me, it's really strange. Compare him to the likes of Busta Rhymes and he might as well be a yapping mannequin.

It has me questioning whether people have any standards for music anymore, or is it just a circus. Do they care about the artistry and the vision these people have, the message they want to convey, or the creativity they wish to express? Or do they care about how many guns they have in their videos, how many girls are shaking their rumps, how many stacks of money they can throw at the camera, and how many bodies they caught about a week ago? That is not creative nor is it being a visionary in the field, it's flat-out degeneracy which hip-hop was initially looking to expose in the black community and bring awareness, not glorify and profit. This is a deeper issue that I'll not try to get into. Kendrick Lamar released one of the best hip hop albums in the past 15 years with To Pimp A Butterfly and it touches on some very sensitive topics beautifully, and not once did he glamorize it. He's feeling the direct result of the musically ADHD era though, no one wants to sit through his poetry if it means they have to...Y'know...Actually sit the hell down and listen.

Bajan made some good points about how mainstream hip hop used to be more raw and genuine, this whole club-oriented hip hop was actually just an anomaly and was seen as just that, club music. Nowadays mainstream hip hop is synonymous with club music. Even the sound "trap" has become an EDM trend that you can hear at Ultra or Coachella, when it had nothing to do with "sick drops" at all. 2 Live Crew was the exception, not the rule. It's this commercialized sound that is becoming something like a hip-hop McDonald's. It's all the same, but you love it, so have this to hold you over until you want more of the same. I take this personally as I'm passionate hip-hop fan, lots of people have misconeptions of hip-hop and rap and I have to go out of my way to show people what hip hop really is about. Something that the actual musicians of this genre are supposed to be doing for us, but they're doing us a disservice with this trash. It's hard for me to even call them musicians at this point.

Not to say it's completely in shambles. There are some young ones pushing the real hip hop envelope and not succumbing to this lucrative club scene. I applaud these kids for that, the music industry is a jungle and kids wouldn't be too hesitant to snag up the ripest banana even if it means climbest up the tallest tree without a harness. Too many kids rapping about the rapper's lifestyle that they don't have, just to become that rapper they dream about. Just be yourself, man. Guys like Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt, Joey Bada$$, Chance the Rapper, Raury, Vince Staples, etc etc. They're being true to themselves and not hopping on trends to gain popularity. In fact, Earl Sweatshirt made an album about NOT being popular and staying secluded, that became popular.

Speaking of Raury, since everyone is talking about Atlanta and its influence, he's basically an extension of the Dungeon Family and is super unique. This is the sound and flow that made me fall in love with Outkast and forced me to take notice of Atlanta's presence in the scene.

Ooohhh thanks for the video, I forgot all about Raury!

Old 12-24-2015, 02:54 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,380,265 times
Quote:
Joey,So Eazy was a Studio gangsta huh ?
Eazy E's ghostwriter Ice Cube did a good job [mis]leading the whole world on to believe who the "Godfather of gangster rap" is.

Quote:
lol Ren was in the streets, Dre just raised in the hood,Cube took his fades with whoever wanted it and was gang affliated but also raised in the hood but wasnt a dummy
MC Ren quit gangbanging because he couldn't make enough money. Lmao Dude was probably too scared to do ANYTHING.

Dr Dre is a girl with a mask on.

Ice Cube's parents were together, he grew up in a good sized house, he went to college in Phoenix for a year and was partying with World Class Wreckin Cru as a teen. I don't care if he would fight someone. Any dude will fight someone.

Quote:
Dipset got ran out the rucker in they own hood lol,Santana not a real blood or Jimmy, Killa Cam & Murda mase never killed nobody lmao,Both was basketball players in highschool
That's why I was being sarcastic about Jim Jones being a gangster. By his own admission he says he sold candy in school. Granted it was elementary school, it looks like it was a highlight for him. Lol he is a phony 100%.

Quote:
Eazy Compton crip set is probably in one of those areas Tim Dog said F years ago lmao
Tim Dog made that demo after NWA "to show everybody how I feel about them. Because it seemed like the whole world was on they ****. Why I don't know, because they was obviously lying to everybody. They was perpetrating a fraud." Well, he was right.

A crew of 12 year olds could've started a gang in NY in the mid 90s. All they would've had to do is wait for the feds to bust yet another drug ring and squat in their dried up neighborhood after. They could've named themselves after every other Crip and Blood gang in NY who did the same thing and came on the scene after the ship sailed.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,380,265 times
Quote:
Nephi215,in That Logic than Too short is the first gangsta rapper with lyrics about sex drugs and violence in 83 lol
A couple bars talking about drugs/violence and gangster rap aren't interchangeable. There are numerous songs from the early 80s that contained bars about drugs and violence. Nobody knew who Too Short was in 83, he wasn't even a legal adult in 83, and Too Short was a HS band boy who was never in a gang.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-24-2015 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City