Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:06 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times

Advertisements

Which City Has Produced The Most Platinum Hip-Hop Albums? | DJBooth

It shouldn't come as a shock to anybody, but New York (and Jersey) has birthed more platinum rappers than anywhere else. What might surprise you though, is the overwhelming dominanance of NY/NJ region. With 120 platinum albums, The Big Apple accounts for nearly 40% of hip-hop’s platinum albums, besting the entire West Coast and all of the South combined.

So much of what makes an album a platinum album has to do with chance. If Biggie was born in another year in another city, would Life After Death have gone platinum? Maybe, but probably not. Could The Hot Boyz have sold a million copies if they were from Bismarck, North Dakota? No. The Hot Boyz succeeded because they were in New Orleans at a time where it was good to be a rapper from New Orleans. Albums that have achieved platinum status isn't random, nor is it really a reflection of true talent. Platinum albums are platinum because they were released at the perfect time in the perfect place, they are platinum albums because someone happens to be from New York and not York, Pennsylvanian. We put so much importance on the illustrious platinum achievement, but really it's just a little bit of timing and a whole lot of luck.

Total # of Cities: 22

New York/New Jersey - 120
Los Angeles - 50
Atlanta - 29
New Orleans - 21
Detroit - 13
Oakland - 13
Houston - 10
Ohio (Cleveland/Columbus) - 10
St. Louis - 10
Chicago - 8
Virginia (VA Beach area) - 8
Philadelphia - 6
Toronto - 4
Miami - 3
Seattle - 3
Memphis - 3
Dallas - 2
Boston - 1
Kentucky (Bowling Green) - 1
Nashville - 1
North Carolina (Fayetteville) - 1
Orlando - 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 AM

- I wonder if they put Tupac on the NYC or LA list?
- Since Kanye West was born in Atlanta is he on the Chicago or Atlanta list?
- Ludacris was born in Chicago and moved to Atlanta, which city list is he on?
??

Also NYC has the most platinum albums because generally speaking most of the platinum albums came from when it was all about NYC. People from the West Coast and from the south were all buying NY albums. By the time the south "took over" the platinum albums decreased because by the time the south was popping other regions had their on movement so instead of all the focus being on NY and everybody buying NY albums because that was all that was promoted now people in other regions supported their artist instead (generally speaking)

Last edited by fieldm; 12-17-2015 at 06:20 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 06:20 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
I love how Hampton Roads is tied with Chicago and only a little behind a city like Houston.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I love how Hampton Roads is tied with Chicago and only a little behind a city like Houston.
Probably because of Timberland, The Neptunes and Missy Elliot

Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,495 times
Who buys albums anymore, especially hip hop albums? Digital singles are really the only thing that's a sure bet these days. Even back in the mid/late 90s, when 'going plat' was far easier, bootleg CDs and illegal downloads (anyone else remember kazaa?) were pretty much hip-hop heads' way of listening to music--you only bought the real deal if there were quality issues with your bootlegs/downloads (which could be often), or they weren't available.

Those high album sales are from an era when hip hop really took off in suburban, white America--there was a huge novelty and 'cool' factor to it. In today's climate, though, I don't think a group or artists like Wu-Tang could ever go platinum. You sure as **** don't see D-listers like Drag-On did crack the top 10 in first week album sales, let alone top 5 like was routine in the day. The novelty has worn off for the mainstream--it's just Fetty Wap/Future/Young Money club background noise to break up the Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran/Adele/Ariana Grande show.

So my overall point is that platinum records aren't the greatest barometer of success, since they a) come from an inflated interest in hip hop beginning in the mid-90s and b) that interest has markedly dropped since around 2005 to present. Buying a full album hasn't really been en vouge for at least 10 years, unless you're already a legend who established himself in that inflated era (Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem etc) or are a marketed A-lister with those legends' backing (Drake, Wiz, Kendrick, Nicki, etc)

Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
- I wonder if they put Tupac on the NYC or LA list?
- Since Kanye West was born in Atlanta is he on the Chicago or Atlanta list?
- Ludacris was born in Chicago and moved to Atlanta, which city list is he on?
??

Also NYC has the most platinum albums because generally speaking most of the platinum albums came from when it was all about NYC. People from the West Coast and from the south were all buying NY albums. By the time the south "took over" the platinum albums decreased because by the time the south was popping other regions had their on movement so instead of all the focus being on NY and everybody buying NY albums because that was all that was promoted now people in other regions supported their artist instead (generally speaking)
Quote:

I wonder if they put Tupac on the NYC or LA list?
good question. but I would think LA because he never made a song called "to live and die in NY"

Quote:
Since Kanye West was born in Atlanta is he on the Chicago or Atlanta list?
Kanye reps Chi

Quote:
Ludacris was born in Chicago and moved to Atlanta, which city list is he on?
Luda reps ATL so probably there.

Quote:
By the time the south "took over" the platinum albums decreased because by the time the south was popping other regions had their on movement so instead of all the focus being on NY and everybody buying NY albums because that was all that was promoted now people in other regions supported their artist instead (generally speaking)
I always thought it was because of napster and limewire. I know some people who haven't bought and album since 2003.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
good question. but I would think LA because he never made a song called "to live and die in NY"

I always thought it was because of napster and limewire. I know some people who haven't bought and album since 2003.
That has to also be included. People werent downloading albums during the golden era of Hip Hop so the sales were higher. Like I said we also have to include regional scenes and the growth of hip hop as to why we dont have many albums going platinum today. For example, in the 80s a Hip hop head in Oakland would have bought a Jay-Z album. Now that same person in Oakland if they only had $10 would probably by an E-40 album instead of an Papoose album

Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

But his first Gold and Platinum albums are when he was a "NY" artist. Even though he represented LA he is still a NY artist. Kind of like Drake lives in LA but he is still an Toronto artist.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,180 times
Quote:
But his first Gold and Platinum albums are when he was a "NY" artist. Even though he represented LA he is still a NY artist. Kind of like Drake lives in LA but he is still an Toronto artist.
by that standard, Chris Brown is an LA artist. I don't know how they rationalized where certain people are from, but people would claim those first two albums were when he was in the Bay Area. So, is he a Bay Area artist now? I think 2pac would claim to be an LA artist but I know its up for discussion.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,495 times
Quote:
Huh? 2Pac was never a New York artist. The closest thing I can think of that 'Pac did that was remotely "New York" was his song "Old School" from "Me Against The World" (my favorite 2Pac album, and a classic). I mean, two of his biggest hits ever are "California Love" and "To Live and Die in LA". And before he was 2Pac, Digital Underground was Bay Area based. There's never been a time when 'Pac was NY (outside of his birth/early childhood), even when he was friends with Biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City