U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 122 55.96%
Minneapolis 96 44.04%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM

29 posts, read 7,453 times

Advertisements

Denver much better weather a better economy and actual mountains. MSP has some nice architecture and lakes. But I'll take Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM

742 posts, read 553,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The topograhy is flat to little rolling hills for hundreds miles in every direction from Minneapolis.
Not true at all.

You can go as little as an hour to get to the cliffs/waterfall regions. WI/MN state line and all along the Mississippi rive over dramatic cliffs, caves, glacial formations. Then as little as 3 hours to Duluth/Superior with "mountains" and coastal cliffs of at least 500+ ft.

I'm a climber, and Minneapolis had just as many climbing spots as Denver less than 1 hour away.

You can't compete with the Rockies, though. But then it's kind of Apples and Oranges.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:33 PM

3,083 posts, read 1,308,616 times
Both rank well in nearly all of my categories. Denver trumps in climate. Minneapolis trumps in cost of living. Gonna go with Minneapolis.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM

119 posts, read 57,820 times
Denverís rising cost of living pushes out those with lower incomes, and higher earners take their place
Higher incomes could explain higher home prices that are driving some out

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/1...ng-low-income/

Old 03-08-2019, 11:47 AM

644 posts, read 539,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post

I'm a climber, and Minneapolis had just as many climbing spots as Denver less than 1 hour away.

Thatís just not accurate. Iím also a climber who lived in MSP and other than Taylors Falls, nothing is particularly close. We have Eldorado, Clear Creek Caynon, Chautauqua and on and on. The river bluff climbs up and down the WI boarder are plenty fun, but an hour away? Not so much.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM

21,485 posts, read 22,865,032 times
What are the most interesting neighborhoods for each and what makes those neighborhoods interesting?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM

447 posts, read 162,258 times
Definitely Denver. Both cities are really nice, but Denver has much better skiing nearby.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 PM

6,140 posts, read 12,502,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
Denver much better weather a better economy and actual mountains. MSP has some nice architecture and lakes. But I'll take Denver.
I don’t think many would argue with you on weather, but how did you determine that Denver has a better economy than Minneapolis? I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. I’ll throw out a few numbers to support my rebuttal:

2017 Nominal GDP by metroplitan area (in millions):
MSP = 260,106
Denver = 208,868

Number of US Fortune 500 companies by state:
Minnesota = 19
Colorado = 10

I also looked at the global Fortune 500 list and only one company from Colorado made the list, Arrow Electronics, versus six for Minnesota, UnitedHealth Group, Target, Best Buy, CHS, 3M and US Bancorp.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 03-18-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,244,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Definitely Denver. Both cities are really nice, but Denver has much better skiing nearby.
Not everyone is into skiing or is able to ski, including me (blown knee) so Denver is... meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I don’t think many would argue with you on weather, but how did you determine that Denver has a better economy than Minneapolis? I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. I’ll throw out a few numbers to support my rebuttal:

2017 Nominal GDP by metroplitan area (in millions):
MSP = 260,106
Denver = 208,868

Number of US Fortune 500 companies by state:
Minnesota = 19
Colorado = 10

I also looked at the global Fortune 500 list and only one company from Colorado made the list, Arrow Electronics, versus six for Minnesota, UnitedHealth Group, Target, Best Buy, CHS, 3M and US Bancorp.
Yeah, Minneapolis is powerhouse when it comes to corporate headquarters. However, you also have to consider job growth, wage growth, unemployment, economic diversity, etc...

Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM

6,565 posts, read 8,059,246 times
I haven't ever been to Minneapolis and it remains one of the far and few major cities left for me to see in the United States.

That being said, I like the city of Denver for its efficient and relaxed way of life. Love the size and amount of amenities there. The place is on the come up and rather quickly at that.

The only things about Denver that I hate are the weather and scenery. I'm not a fan at all of arid, dry, brown, thirsty-looking mountains (in fact I hate mountains in general but can "tolerate" them when they're densely forested, green, and lush). That's even after considering that the mountains are 40 minutes from Denver proper itself but still, you can see that hideous brown color in the background from a high floor building in downtown and to me it doesn't look pretty. I would imagine that scenery wise I would probably prefer Minneapolis by far, forested and lots of water and to my liking with gentler rolling hills, two of the more aesthetically pleasing landscape features to my personal set of eyes. I also am not a fan of Denver's weird and sporadic climate, a place where it can snow as late as March or April and we're not talking one or two inches but like six inches to a feet or more of snow but I'd imagine that I would take more issue with Minneapolis' climate from this respect.

Other than those two things that I hate about Denver, everything else is to my liking for the most part. Like I mentioned before, I like the actual city. If I had to live in the United States, I could settle into a life in Denver, it wouldn't be my first choice, actually far from it, but it's a good enough town to where I can trust that life would be good enough for me there.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-20-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or